Time of the month:a rant about female characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

I fully agree it was ludicrous in suikoden three with the three little girl powerhouses. I get images of them arm wrestling ace or someone and whipping them.

Yes Emily makes the most sense considering her training and mom.

Cecile is a little odd but then remember she seems to wear her heavy armor 24/7 so she was bound to build up some muscle. But should she have been a female Humphry? Probably not.

And yes Shabon is the biggest joke ever. Biggest WTF factor ever for an overpowered rpg character.
silvershadow27

Post by silvershadow27 »

Maybe one thing is still common. " Behind every great man, there's a great woman " . Chris is spoilt for choice, Queen is a total kick ass machine, Lucia would soon sort ou anyone and Jeane just steals the show! Lilly wasn't too bad but I didn't think there was enough time in S3 to level her up enough. ( Funny bit, Emily Bell was always wanting an arm wrestling contest with Leo! ) You go girl!
Kika, Flare and Mizuki are kewl! 8)
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

Males have more astrogen making them more aggressive and active.
That's why.
I don't think it is that females have limits it's just that...majority-wise females probably care more about lots of other stuff than stuff like wars, fighting, and sports.
That may seem like a stereotype but it makes sense. Stereotypes are part false, and part truth.

Also, in the Suikoden world females aren't equal to men as shown in dialogue from the games. I think the females are most equal to the males in the island nations where Suikoden IV takes place.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Who was that one who outlasted the heavy-drinkers in a drinking contest? Was that Anne? Pretty cool. Oh, and Aila can kick everyone ass in a soda-drinking contest too.

Mitsuba and Cecile with uber-high strength was pretty annoying only because it was really not believable. Helga was believable. Emily and Bell were believable. Milia, Sonya and Valeria were believable. Even Oulan had to have a Power Gloves permanently equipped on her to make her strength credible, but not enough to surpass the men..
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

highwind44029 wrote:Who was that one who outlasted the heavy-drinkers in a drinking contest? Was that Anne? Pretty cool. Oh, and Aila can kick everyone ass in a soda-drinking contest too.
Rina kicked Viktor's ass in a drinking contest too. Maybe this just prove Grasslanders are heavy drinkers.
highwind44029 wrote: Mitsuba and Cecile with uber-high strength was pretty annoying only because it was really not believable. Helga was believable. Emily and Bell were believable. Milia, Sonya and Valeria were believable. Even Oulan had to have a Power Gloves permanently equipped on her to make her strength credible, but not enough to surpass the men..
They're called underestimated characters. Cecile was underestimated because she was a cute little girl. Even so, I expected to be strong (stronger than Thomas at least) since she was commander of the guards in Budehuc and wearing her late father's armor which I believe is heavy for her to be wearing all day.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

I really like Sharon, she has really great defense and offense, in most encounters the damage enemies would inflict on her would usually be a pathetic 1!! She is really cool looking too with her being a Dragon Knight and all.
Flame_champz

Post by Flame_champz »

[spoiler]I though Cecil was a great attacker and I liked her determination out of battle and in it. I have to agree i thought she was going to be weak but when in the "Thomas Chapters" if it wasn't for her i would be fighting that stupid Wild Boar.[/spoiler]

If you train her up to around lvl 62 i think she would be a great char not the best but oretty good. i haven't tried it, it depends if her stats get higher as she goes up or lower as she goes up. Next time i play i will be sure to train her and ill get back to you on this one unless some one eles[/u]
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Castle_Nort ... hp?act=idx - New RP but will be great if you join (Suikoden RP)
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Dura Sinai wrote:And Suikoden 3 you had Emily, Cecile and Shabon who were all massively overpowered. Emily had the neverending combos it seemed, Cecile could equip heavy armor and Shabon was just strong. Now compare to some of the guys of three such as Melville or Thomas. Heck, one of your better playable mages was Sasarai who had quite possibly the lowest strength stat. So in a brawl Shabon who is under 10 years old would beat the living daylights out of him. And you had a couple good female mages, namely Estella and the Alma Kinan girls.

Certainly doesn't seem to biased considering there are pretty useless male characters as well as females.
So yeah I would say it
Shabon is a boy.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Anamanaguchi wrote:Shabon is a boy.
Er...Shabon is a girl...I haven't played Suikoden III, but I got this info from Suikosource.
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Well for those who have played the game, in the Tablet of Stars it clearly states in her profile "A young skillful busker who is good at bodhran. He thinks of Nei as an older sister".. No offense to this website, it is a very good one, but I trust Konami's word over Suikosources... BTW, Why would you even know or want to know if she is a female or male if you have never even played the game?
Flame_champz

Post by Flame_champz »

some people like to know these things. People know about hisuakke or watever and he has never been in any of the games when suikoden 3 came out i read the tablet of stars before i even got it because i like to know this kind of stuff
http://s10.invisionfree.com/Castle_Nort ... hp?act=idx - New RP but will be great if you join (Suikoden RP)
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

..? Forgive me...? I'm trying to get as much info. on Suikoden III as possible, seeing as I never had the "joy" of playing it, so again...fogive me...? :? :roll:
Flame_champz

Post by Flame_champz »

You dont need to be sorry i would do the same if i never played it and people who think they dont know anything about suikoden 3 well think again....
kuroinekokun

Post by kuroinekokun »

Anamanaguchi wrote:Well for those who have played the game, in the Tablet of Stars it clearly states in her profile "A young skillful busker who is good at bodhran. He thinks of Nei as an older sister".. No offense to this website, it is a very good one, but I trust Konami's word over Suikosources... BTW, Why would you even know or want to know if she is a female or male if you have never even played the game?
I think that was a translation error. Because of Guillaume's profile in the game:
gamefaqs wrote: Guillaume: Chizoku, AppraisalMagician
A petty thief who returned to his original vocation as an appraiser after
losing too many times in mounted combat.
P. He's an appraiser with a bad reputation.
1. He sleeps in a nightgown.
2. He likes to play with little girls. Yes, I know you are worried, but I'm sure he's just playing...
3. There are rumors he steals some of the objects he appraises and then switches fakes for them.
Source: http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file ... i_kidd.txt

And when you recruit Nei, Toppo and Shabon, Nei did mention a little girl, not boy. Since you want to trust Konami so much, here's proof from the game itself.
Sid: He he he...
Riou: ??
Sid: Hoo Hoo Hoo HAHAHAHA!
Anamanaguchi

Post by Anamanaguchi »

Your link didn't work and Suikoden isn't my life, I just made reference to what the actual game said.