Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Hirathien

Re: Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Post by Hirathien »

Got this off from Wikipedia, dunno how reliable it is.

Tir, tir or TIR may mean:
* the French term for Schützenfest (target-shooting competition)
* Tir is the name of the fourth month (the first month of summer) in the Iranian calendar.
* Occasional spelling of the Old Norse theonym Tyr.
* A woman thrall in oldnorse society.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

That and "Tir" is a name that I originally translated from the Japanese ティル, back when other fans were translating the same name as "Teel" or "Tilu" (and all of those are arguably correct). The reason I chose "Tir" is exactly because it would mesh well with McDohl from a linguistic perspective. Thus, it's nothing official.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Vextor wrote:That and "Tir" is a name that I originally translated from the Japanese ティル, back when other fans were translating the same name as "Teel" or "Tilu" (and all of those are arguably correct). The reason I chose "Tir" is exactly because it would mesh well with McDohl from a linguistic perspective. Thus, it's nothing official.
The manga has an official translation of the hero's name on the back cover. Maybe we should switch to that?

Louie McDohl.

On second thought, let's not.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
Vextor wrote:That and "Tir" is a name that I originally translated from the Japanese ティル, back when other fans were translating the same name as "Teel" or "Tilu" (and all of those are arguably correct). The reason I chose "Tir" is exactly because it would mesh well with McDohl from a linguistic perspective. Thus, it's nothing official.
The manga has an official translation of the hero's name on the back cover. Maybe we should switch to that?

Louie McDohl.

On second thought, let's not.
-_-" ..I second the motion.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

I third that motion.

Here are some names I didn't like, although blackman isn't much of a name. Anos sounds more like "O noes!", Bang and Pec aren't the greatest names either XD And what about kokto, that doesn't sound right... Pelize also sounds naughty to me.
Dirk is okay, but change one letter and you get a totally different word!
What about the mercenaries from Tactics? They don't even have names, they just get Blue mercenary, red mercenary ect.. Those are such wonderful names! ._. (sarcastic)
I'm not a fan of the name Moose either, what kind of name is that?
I'm not a fan of Dominic, or Billy I've never been into names that over 1 billion people have.

Hellion is a kewl name, but it always reminds me of a word with a similar name. If you catch my drift..
As well as Moroon, but it fits the character because of the way he acts towards humans.

It's kind of weird, but I don't like the name Faylon. But I like Faylen, and I like Faylen as a fighter. But I don't really care for Faylon as a fighter.

But some names I like are Millie, Faylen, Nhazu, Zenoa, Anita, Milia, Lotte, Onil, Camille (I always pronounced it Cam-a-lee, until I realized it was Cam-eel)
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤

Post by 727 »

Marley comes to mind. I think I'm gonna have him make a minor cameo in the next episode. :lol:
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I never thought Pahn was that special of a character, but it always entertains me to scream his name with my best William Shatner impression. PAAAHHHHNN!!! YOU BETRAYED ME!!!

A name I never saw how it fit the character would be Bob. Is Bob the first name you'd think of when naming a werewolf!?
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I think that its a reference to Bob marley considering he's looks like a rastafarian and is wearing all jamaican flag colours.
Kun to, now thats an unsuitable name.
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

DoReMi_Vampire wrote:I never thought Pahn was that special of a character, but it always entertains me to scream his name with my best William Shatner impression. PAAAHHHHNN!!! YOU BETRAYED ME!!!

A name I never saw how it fit the character would be Bob. Is Bob the first name you'd think of when naming a werewolf!?
Hahaha, the PAAAAAHN part is superb. :D

I think Tsaubern is a pretty cool name, even though it's just a German verb. better than Minen, Geschutz or Büchse. :D
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

oh, this is a fun thread! There are some really weird names out there, and some really cool ones too.

Up there is Lazlo for worst. Always reminds me of Grand Theft Auto whenever I see it. Also, names that you can't tell how to pronounce bug me too. Like is Luc supposed to be like Luke or Luck? Leknaat I would read as (Lek gnat) Then it turns out it is (Lek not) Tons of examples of those but I don't have a name list in front of me.

Best name? Hmmmmm . . . . Sasarai is pretty sweet. Love saying it. Wakaba too. In return, Leknaat is a good name (once you pronounce it right) I like Freyjadour! Tristan is pretty good too.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I remember playing SII and a friend of mine who was unfamiliar with the game was watching saying it seemed pretty fun. I decided to show him a cook-off and started to read Fu Tan Chen's introductions out loud with an over the top voice.

"And the opponent is..." Drumroll*
"Yu Kum!"

And my friend and his dirty mind started laughing hysterically.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

Fuwalafuwalu!! How did I miss that one.

That's my pick for best named character
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
RPG Seeker

Post by RPG Seeker »

Freyjador is possibly the worst named character. Too similar to re"frigerator".
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I actually like Freyjadour. I don't think the j should be pronounced so heavily though so I never thought of it sounding like refrigerator lol

Other character names I like are Percival, Simone, Ace, Joker, Rico, Salome, Riou, Tir, Troy, Elenor, Sigurd, Sonya, Teo, Ferid and Viktor. There are plenty more I like but I won't name them all. There have been a few duds, though. Window is inexcusable, and for some reason I don't like the name Mua. A tank shouldn't sound like a kiss. They did really well with the surnames though imo.

Some of the place names are cool too, like L'Renouille. I pronounce it closer to how it's spelled though. I know that's wrong, but I can't even think all those vowel sounds like that, much less actually say them. Besides, it's in a place called Highland, which should give everything there a Scottish accent by default :lol: ... I just can't imagine it that way without enough consonants. I think the French pronunciation would've been better suited to a location in Toran (also a cool name).

I also like Razril, but I don't get why it's pronounced with the extra syllable. This brings up Lazlo. Lazlo's a nice enough name, but I don't like the idea of him supposedly being named after the town. I know they did that in the pachislot game, but Razro's just his Scooby Doo name. He'll always be Lazlo to me.

Each of the games had a decent enough selection of names so I don't think I have a preference for any particular set.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

eldrasidar wrote:if you want a great example of japanese developers throwing together random names, look no further than Valkyria Chronicles. it's a great example of random naming.
Looked-up the name lists. I think my brain just melted a little.
EstrangedIX wrote:Some of the place names are cool too, like L'Renouille. I pronounce it closer to how it's spelled though. I know that's wrong, but I can't even think all those vowel sounds like that, much less actually say them. Besides, it's in a place called Highland, which should give everything there a Scottish accent by default :lol:
ikr?? The place bugged me for the same two reasons; one, being that I didn't know how my 13 yr-old brain could pronounce it, and two, the inconsistency of the naming convention. Did some official/architect barge-in and pitch the name to the king in a ridiculous and over-the-top manner because it sounded avant-garde? idk, they were prolly hipsters. I'm glad it went back to Higheast although I'm not really fond of the name either, haha :shock:
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D