Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Gen. Dirge

Re: Suikoden with the best and worst named characters?

Post by Gen. Dirge »

I just totally remembered that sister said Camus was pronounced 'ka-MOO' That just totally blew my mind. It sounds like Shamu, the whale. :lol:
It's not the best or worst name out there, but it certainly seems awkward to me now.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Belle

Post by Belle »

Gen. Dirge wrote:I just totally remembered that sister said Camus was pronounced 'ka-MOO' That just totally blew my mind. It sounds like Shamu, the whale. :lol:
It's not the best or worst name out there, but it certainly seems awkward to me now.
That isn't too strange. She was probably thinking of Albert Camus, whose name is sort of pronounced that way.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

well, it is a french name, so that would be the proper prononciation. the letter s is generally silent when it's at the end of words in french.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I like being from a country where English isn't a major Language. It makes it all easier to not go all "Whaaaa" when there's a name you don't really recognise and how to pronounce it.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

^_^ from now on, im calling camus ka-moo!

interestingly, in my country, "tuta" means little dog/puppy. =) cracks me up every time.

oh, and we actually have a small indigenous tribe called "karaya". makes you wonder where konami gets their material from.
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Really???? I've never noticed there was a tribe with that name around. Maybe I just fail at knowing about our indigenous people >_>

Haha, yeah, tuta indeed! Fits him, 'cause he was a lil boy when we first met him.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
DoReMi_Vampire

Post by DoReMi_Vampire »

I believe the right way to pronounce Camus is Ka-myu. Either way I don't think it really matters too much.
- I've got a warrior's sword with your name on it.

- Of Course I Know Chinchirorin!
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

edit. Wrong thread, for this. My apologies.
lanfei

Post by lanfei »

I like the names Arshtat, Leknaat, Sera (sarah from S3, but I prefer calling her Sera as that's how it's written in her japanese version), Sasarai, Luc, Sierra Mikain, Chris Lightfellow, Pesmerga, Georg Prime.

Yuber is fun to pronounce, but I can't say I like that name. lol

I don't think the name "Windy" suits Windy. It's just so wrong for a character like her :/
Vermillion.Haze

Post by Vermillion.Haze »

Pretty sure "Window" the window maker wins the award for worst name. With Neclord as a close second place

Best name? Id have to go with Sgt Joe. Classic.
Ellyos

Post by Ellyos »

Belle wrote:
Gen. Dirge wrote:I just totally remembered that sister said Camus was pronounced 'ka-MOO' That just totally blew my mind. It sounds like Shamu, the whale. :lol:
That isn't too strange. She was probably thinking of Albert Camus, whose name is sort of pronounced that way.
Well, if Camus is pronounced in the french way, it's not ka-moo at all.
English doesn't have french equivalence to pronounce the "u" like us.

The way Camus is pronounced in french can be found there : http://www.mediadico.com/dictionnaire/l ... us/parle/1

Anyway, yeah, Window was an obvious lack of inspiration :/
I like a lot of name : Arshtat, Ferid, Belcoot, Geddoe, Alhazred, Kanaan and Chrodechild (from Tierkreis).
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

"Luserina" has got to be the worst name ever. I always call her "Loserina," ha.
"F*** you, I'm a goat." -Yohn
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Rachael wrote:"Luserina" has got to be the worst name ever. I always call her "Loserina," ha.
Really? Worse than Neclord? Cause if Suikogaiden is to be believed his parents actually named him that.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

A name that always makes me wonder why it's in a game like this, is Fubar. I mean, come on. They gotta know what it means... It's been around since 1940 or something.

Neclord was actually... Named that? Who was his parents, Necmom and Necdad?
Heptade

Post by Heptade »

The first game definitely had some of the worst names. I mean, a centuries-old witch with a sister named Leknaat? Of course, she's named Windy! (Parental favouritism might be why she became so evil...).

Neclord, it's like his parents wanted him to become stereotypically evil. (Is it just me, or that guy feels like he doesn't belong in this series? Worst Suikoden villain, IMO. Then again, I haven't played SII yet, only downloaded it on PSN a week ago.)

Kwanda Rosman. I like both the name and surname, but it feels like they don't belong together...
Ted doesn't fit the character, I thought. Same with Kuromimi.
Kai is perhaps not that bad, but I always seem to forget the guy's name.
Jabba doesn't look like a Jabba.
Window, Melodye... Yeah, right... Well, Melodye wouldn't be nearly as bad if she didn't have anything to do with sounds.
And then the blacksmiths. They're not even related, so they don't even have the excuse of having stupid parents...

The other names are mostly pretty good though. Milich Oppenheimer is a rocking name.

Even though I haven't played SII yet, I can say Jowy is a terrible name.

I think Lazlo's a Hungarian name. I don't see what is supposed to be wrong with this name.
Why is everybody complaining?

The names from SV are pretty good. Arshtat Falenas. Who could she be, but a queen?