Why missable?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
zzplayer

Why missable?

Post by zzplayer »

Konami, what's the point to put missable characters? Now everybody is using Internet or guide book, I think it's decreasing fun part of gathering all 108 stars.
I don't think there are so much people playing the "New Game +" are you?
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

The point, IMHO, is to reward the players who take their time and check EVERYWHERE for everything. I was kind of thinking that myself this play through of II. Who the heck was the first one to find Mukumuku by going to the tree and hitting X 3 times?
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Why missable?

Post by patapi »

zzplayer wrote:Konami, what's the point to put missable characters? Now everybody is using Internet or guide book, I think it's decreasing fun part of gathering all 108 stars.
I don't think there are so much people playing the "New Game +" are you?
There are players out there who actually enjoy their games without hold-your-hands guides.

There are also players who like their games so much that they would replay their games even without New Game+.

Honest.

p.s. Mukumuku isn't considered missable. You just have to get him the hard way if you missed him in Kyaro.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Heh, I guess our concepts of missable are different. Mine is any character that you might not see normally and have to find, like Fuma in I hidden behind a wall (and you just have to be hitting X along the wall or just know he's there), or the Squirrels in II. I guess you're considering missable characters to be ones that if you don't get them by a certain point, then you never can.
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
zzplayer

Post by zzplayer »

I'm talking about the ones that "if you don't get them by a certain point, then you never can" as you said.
Very difficult to find but not missable is nice :D
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

I can't speak for all of them, but some of them it just fits the story. Like if you don't forgive Jess in Tinto, or ask Kiba and Klaus to join you over and over and over until the message arrives. There's the enemy generals in I as well, and lots of other examples throughout the games. Another good example is Snowe in IV. If you don't keep letting him go, and eventually rescue him, he dies, either as punishment from you, or just from exposure to the elements. So sometimes it makes sense storywise. Not always, no, but sometimes. In fact, I think most "missable" characters are like that, only a rare few aren't. I can't think of any off the top of my head where I can't see a reason for why they are missable in the "get them by this point or never do" kind of way.
kati

Post by kati »

Some characters are kinda hard to get unless you get a guide, like i had the hardest time getting raven, egbert, and haleth...like i didn't know that to recruit egbert, you can't skip the dialogue. With raven, i didnt know you had to stay at the sindar castle inn until i seen it on youtube, and haleth is hard once again because you wouldnt think that logg was down in the tavern, so it's kinda like some are obvious to get and some are really difficult without using some sort of help or another
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

No shame in using a guide. I doubt anyone has been able to find all 108 SoDs in every game without consulting a guide.

Granted, there are a lot of hints here and there, but putting all the pieces together, especially if you don't realize there's even a puzzle to solve, can be very difficult!
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

I like to play my games first without using a guide, just to see how much I can get just by myself. Like I was pretty proud of myself that in Suikoden I, I had only miss Crowley out of the 108 recruit.