Toma *Spoiler Suikoden V*

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Siel Avadon

Toma *Spoiler Suikoden V*

Post by Siel Avadon »

This damn kid you meet in the beginning, He badmouths a prince.

In real Europe at the time when kings would have had the power that one would be thrown into jail. So whats with the "kindness" of Suikoden Royals? - Luca Blight then...

Why would they tolerate a cocky little kid from a city who rebelled against the heiress and even stole a true rune?
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Majin

Post by Majin »

The falenan royalty is more liberal and 'fair' then the nobles especially the Godwin faction, seen by Ferid wanting to end the slave gladiators, Goerg himself seems to be of an upbringing of very 'fair' treatment, since he comments gladiators as being pretty unfair treatment.

The Prince were brought up under these people.
chinista

Post by chinista »

I hate that kid. He's not worthy to become part of the 108 stars! If I were the prince I'd have Nether gate kill that brat! Hahaha!
Iris

Post by Iris »

Yes, well, it's a good thing you're NOT Faroush, now isn't it?

Even if he is voiced by Mona "I've been in every anime ever" Marshall, Toma's attitiude towards Faroush is beyond reasonable. He had witnessed his entire town destroyed and given no chance of rebuilding. And then someone from the royal family had the GALL to come up and analyze HIS town, when that brat's family was the reason everything was the way it was? Hah, I think NOT. That rich brat better stay with Mommy Dearest, Her Royal and Most Noble and Wise HIGNESS Queen Arshtat, and not come around here anymore.
Futagi

Post by Futagi »

Besides that, Toma comes around later on, when the prince proves himself.
Hello Suikoden-type people:D
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Toma really does come around around the time when you are on a mission to save Lordlake. Toma was willing to work for Freyjadour even after the war when he becomes a Queen's Knight apprentice.
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

I would knuckle dust that kid with a well placed punch to show him that the Royal family dont take some whiney Lordlake complains...Really...By show such lack of respect they would have never gained any help at all at rebuilding...Lucky for them the Hero in Suikoden is always a overzealous pacifist when it comes to those of the SoD.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
lifesucksdie

Post by lifesucksdie »

It could be because this is a fictional story...

but if we do take into consideration that the Prince's parents didn't spoil fark him and that they are relatively decent people then that could be the reason too. And if you haven't particularly noticed in Suikoden they use modern political practices so really... blah blah blah... it's not Europe.
blahblahblah.
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Frey may have been raised in the highest way of life in Falena. Nevertheless, he was raised by decent parents to have compassion for the rich and poor. With Lyon by his side, he's the type of guy without a want for anything in the world. Same thing with Tir.

It's just that Frey couldn't help but feel sorry for all the people of Lordlake.
WuYung

Re: Toma *Spoiler Suikoden V*

Post by WuYung »

The Queen and family, even the loyal knights were all pretty casual, after all even arshtat doesnt send galleon there because shes not that heartless. I mean, Silva was pretty nasty to the prince too, if i do say so myself. I think that based on the rebellious Sialeeds, the casual Georg and the sweet Lyon, the prince fits into that picture quite nicely. Also look at all the other things. Saving Shoon, following Belcoot... those are totally not things that would be seen as very royal, but the family is very compassionate. Arshtat, Haswar and Sialeeds were all brought up on very strong values of human equality, not to mention Ferid is a "foreigner" and came from Skald's family... now if we look at how Skald acts you can see where it transfers. XD
Raptorg

Post by Raptorg »

Siel Avadon wrote:This damn kid you meet in the beginning, He badmouths a prince.

In real Europe at the time when kings would have had the power that one would be thrown into jail. So whats with the "kindness" of Suikoden Royals? - Luca Blight then...

Why would they tolerate a cocky little kid from a city who rebelled against the heiress and even stole a true rune?
to start of, Talgeyl, the guy you meet first, asks the prince and the others to forgive the people in town for being rude

second, the Falenan(is that correct?) royal family is known to be more.. open minded and involved with the people, like when you run around in town with the prince, you aren't being chased down my teengirls yelling and stuff, people just greet you like another person, but still adress you as "your highness", but they're used to it that the royal family actually goes in town and is involved with the people(at least the prince and sialeeds), so in fact rather then just punishing like other royals would do, they'd think.. "maybe i said or did something that didn't please this person, i'd better leave him alone"
because they know that if a person disrespects them, they will have a good solid reason because they actually KNOW the royals in person

next, lordlake was pissed because the incident was a total misunderstanding, the power of the Sun Rune overtook Arshtat(sp?) and blurred her judgement, in fact, it made her believe what was wrong, was in fact right
*spoiler*like where she killed Ferid and afterwards was killed by Georg*spoiler*
she thought lordlake wanted to overthrow her, while they were just complaining about a minor thing(at least that's what i understand from playing the game)
in the end, the Sun Rune kept blurring her judgement, and lordlake stayed a waterless pile of sand with miserable people

the prince knew nothing about what actually was happening there or what had happened, all he knew was a story his mother knew, but not lordlake's story, why they didn't just tell him is beyond me, i guess they knew he couldn't do anything about it

the prince did understand that living in such an enviorment while a person who can do something about it lives in luxury but refuses to do something can make a person bitter

that's just my 2, no 5 cents
not sure if it's all correct, it's quite late, but that's what i understand out of the game
Morph

Post by Morph »

I agree with raptorg wont you be mad,No matter who it was if your home was burnt down by there family.Heck I say Toma had every right to be mad I would.That is just what i think on the whole thing.
chypa

Post by chypa »

yeah. i dont care wheter he was prince or what. one that i know he and his family destroyed my hometown.
maybe that's what i thought if i was toma.

but poor the prince. if i was him, i will slap toma.
what is his name actually?!! faroush, or freyjadour?
ops... out of topic.
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

What's with all this Toma hatred? The kid, like all kids, was not motivated by logic, but passion, so even though Arshtat was the one that Death Star'd Lordlake, Toma was more than willing to blame any and every member of the royal family, particularly the one standing right in front of him.

I realize that Frey basically saved his prepubesent ass the first time the met, but Toma's stubborn: that one good deed doesn't exactly make up for basically murdering an entire town for a screw up that the entire town didn't even take part in.

The reason the Prince didn't punch Toma in the mouth for talking back to him is because the Prince is not a monster! The poor boy has suffered enough to be rightfully mad, particularly since Frey did not come to help Lordlake, just to check on how utterly screwed they were. If Frey did strike Toma or anyone in Lordlake for the things they said, it would pretty much be game over, because no one's gonna root for a hero that petty and hateful.

If you want someone to hate so badly, there's plenty of loathsome wretches in the Suiko World, including Euram & Alenia, both also in SV with Toma.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

You'd be upset as well is someone destroyed your village.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore