Toma *Spoiler Suikoden V*

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Gen. Dirge

Re: Toma *Spoiler Suikoden V*

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Siel Avadon wrote:This damn kid you meet in the beginning, He badmouths a prince.

In real Europe at the time when kings would have had the power that one would be thrown into jail. So whats with the "kindness" of Suikoden Royals? - Luca Blight then...

Why would they tolerate a cocky little kid from a city who rebelled against the heiress and even stole a true rune?
Most Little kids are motivated by their impulses and not by logical thinking...........well....with the exception if that certain little kid happened to be a super-genius. Toma acted from his emotions and his own observations as what people here earlier stated. Just calm down, man......was there not a time that you acted on a scale like Toma when you were a lot younger? Don't be THAT tick-off at him.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Despite being a non-playable character in the game, he seems to have some potential if Galleon put in a good word for him to join the Queen's Knights.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Toma's got the guts!!! That's something a Queen's Knight should have when facing danger or a foe!!!! Spunky lil kid, ain't he?

Hey babycakes ;D
vixen

Post by vixen »

Toma is cool.

Why wouldn't you hate the royal family in the first place if the royal family destroys your hometown lol.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

What you really have to understand about Suikoden V is that the underlining philosophy that respect is not given, it's earned. Look at the citizens of Lordlake, they that nuked by the Sun Rune, and thanks to Godwin were unable to get their water back do to Hatred Fortress. That would make anyone bitter as hell. The story was not about blindly giving your respect to the royals and nobles. Rovere was Lordlake's noble and got executed for, as others have said, was something that was not the fault of Lordlake or its people. So who's left to offer your loyalty to? Rovere's dead, the queen torched your city, and Godwin is keeping your town from coming back to its former greatness. And Barrow's actions totally screwed the town. Why should Toma offer any loyalty or respect to the Prince?

By saying that Toma should have been punched, you're simply not putting yourself in his place. It's a terrible situation, knowing that animals that used to leave people alone are now attacking, knowing that people are dying of thirst or starvation, bad infections and discentary...all because they can't get something as simple as water that's being withheld from them. Yeah, I think Toma had every reason to be pissed off.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well said. on top of that, i think Toma's friend(s) just died in the hospital due to dehydration.
executorofbalance

Re:

Post by executorofbalance »

chinista wrote:I hate that kid. He's not worthy to become part of the 108 stars! If I were the prince I'd have Nether gate kill that brat! Hahaha!
LOL, nice thought, but Nether Gate is against us after the Queen disbanded them. Then, the Godwins brought them back.
"Even if I close my eyes, the world will not dissapear."
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Okay, nobody touch or even get near Nether Gate. The monkeys that remain there are as prickly as cacti......

I know punishing the so-called "Impudent" sounds very, very fun.......but that would just be a waste of time. Toma's got some rights to feeling really angry with the royals.....

Hey babycakes ;D
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Heck I would give the kid a punch right on the mouth!

The freaking Royalists just saved his arse and he slaps the princes hand when he wants to help him up. Phew had i been a Queens Knights I would lift the lil bastard up and given him one hell of a yell and a big slap.

And really, I was a calm kid. Never really did much of a stir up or yelling at people.

EDIT: I myself comes from a region the swedes litteraly "F" up for 400 years ago. Yet, Its just to move to a better place or rebel.
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Again, you're complaining about one of the features that really define Toma's character. I'm pretty sure we already pointed out that the angry little lad demanded the Prince prove himself as more than just a title with legs. But then, when the Prince does prove himself, Toma is far too proud and/or stubborn to admit he was wrong. Ever. About anything. So he gives the Prince the cold shoulder, pretty much throughout the entire game.

I think the reason people hate Toma is basically because they themselves are just as stubborn, and the two personalities clash. Then again, I'm pretty friggin' stubborn but I sympathize with Toma, largely from having a general distrust of authority.

Really, basically everything that has been complained about in this thread is exactly why I love Toma. His whole "So you're a prince. Good for you. Doesn't mean you're a saint, ya jerk," bravado is what makes him so entertaining. It's refreshing in a Suikoden game to have one of the 108 Stars basically give you the stink-eye 90% of the time. Heck, that's why people loved Luc!
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?