Roles of the 108 Stars

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
DeathQuaker

Roles of the 108 Stars

Post by DeathQuaker »

I compiled this list a little while ago, and while I was waiting until it was okay to post this in the full character theories thread , this topic has come up in the "Why some stars..." thread so, being timely, I'm posting it here and now.

Edit: this was originally broken up into three threads, as I completely, embarrassingly misunderstood a suggestion from a mod; Patapi has since closed the other threads. Despite its horrific length, I've decided it's easier for me to just put this all in one post--and easier for people to quote from the entire list. My apologies for spamming up the board earlier; that was not my intention. :oops:

This is a list of the Stars of Destiny and each character that's occupied the star in the Suiko games. The point is to try and find the roles typically played by each star in the RPGs; some are obvious, some less so. I have written my guesses and interpretations underneath the stars.

What is pointedly MISSING is that, while I have the names of the characters from the original "Water Margin" novel (gotten from here and SARS), I have no idea who they are, and of course explaining their roles may help shed light on what the roles of the corresponding Suikoden characters are supposed to play. Any insight shared on those will especially be appreciated.

This list as posted does not yet include the ideas shared in the "why some stars..." thread, but I will try to add them later.

PLEASE comment, correct, and suggest. Thanks!

Tenkai Star – The Chief Star of Heaven
(Song Jiang, the Opportune Rain)
“Tir” McDohl (1), “Riou” (2), Thomas (3), “Lazlo” (4), Prince of Falena (5)
Duh. Usually the hero, and always owner of the stronghold. Is often an orphan or is orphaned during the story, and/or is otherwise estranged from parental figures in a way that has some plot/character significance.

Tengou Star - Star of Conflagration
(Lu Jun-Yi, the Jade Ki’rin)
Lepant (1), Ridley and/or Boris (2), Sasarai (3), Lino en Kuldes (4), Raja (5)
Some kind of major leader/faction representative. Always joins through plot and usually has an important role to play in said plot. Usually can be party member, but not always (e.g., Raja); always a unit leader in war where that applies.

Tenki Star - Star of Wisdom
(Wu Yung, the Great Intelligence)
Mathiu (1), Shu (2), Caesar (3), Elenor (4), Lucretia (5)
Always your chief strategist; always served by Chifuku star and usually connected to Chikai star as well. Always major part of the plot, never a party character (but can be a unit leader in war).

Tenkan - Star of Idleness
(Gong-sun Sheng, Dragon Entering the Clouds)
Luc (1-3), Ted (4), Zerase (5)
Is “Keeper of the Tablet” in 1,2, and 5. Luc and Zerase are both connected to Leknaat; Ted is less so but she does play a role in his joining the SODs in 4. All are either bearers of and/or greatly knowledgeable of True Runes. Always powerful wizards.

Tenyu - Star of Bravery
(Guan Sheng, the Great Sword)
Humphrey (1-2), Dupa (3), Tal (4), Craig Laden (5)
Usually a general/faction leader and/or unit leader. Always joins through plot.

Tenyuu - Star of Heroic Ferocity
(Lin Chong, the Leopard Headed)
Kasim (1), Hauser (2), Yuber (3), Izak (4), Galleon (5)
Usually a general and/or faction leader or representative. Always very powerful warriors. Can usually join party as well as participate in war.

Tenmou - Star of Swift Courage
(Qin Ming, the Fire in the Thunderclap)
Kwanda (1), Kiba (2), Shiba (3), Axel (4), Boz (5)
General and/or faction leader; again usually warriors and can sometimes be part of party as well as participate in war.

Teni - Star of Majesty
(Hu-yan Zhuo, Double Rod of Iron)
Pesmerga (1-2), Lucia (3), Selma (4), Nakula (5)
Lucia, Selma, and Nakula all represent factions who are somewhat hostile towards others even moreso than other factions (Karayans distrust non-Grasslanders, elves distrust humans, Armes distrusts Falenans). Pesmerga’s by himself though. All are strong warriors and can be party members. Except in 3, optional recruits.

Tenei - Heroic Star
(Hua Rong, Li Guang Minor)
Gremio (1), Sierra (2), Yuiri (3), Aldo (4), Lyon (5)
This one I’m hard put to find a connection. I’d say all except Sierra are noted for their great loyalty and are usually devoted to protecting someone or something. Sierra I guess is guardian of her people, but still seems odd-woman-out. Lyon and Gremio have several things in common. Always party-usable, always joins through plot with possible exception of Aldo.

Tenki - Lofty Star
(Chai Jin, the Little Whirlwind)
Warren (1), Teresa (2), Salome (3), Schtolteheim Reinbach III (4), Talgeyl (5)
Like many above is a faction leader/representative, but usually in a more bureaucratic position; many represent the wishes of the city they’re from. Reinbach’s a bit different, but he is more or less Middleport’s representative. Except for him, Tenkis join through plot.

Tenfu - Star of Wealth
(Li Ying, the Eagle Who Smites the Heavens)
Kun To (1), Nina (2), Jimba (3), Chiepoo (4), Euram OR Eresh (5)
This one’s got me stumped. I think all of them join through plot (except 5, but Euram certainly is a “plot-related character”), but other than that it’s hard to see a connection. Chiepoo lives up most to the “Star of Wealth” and to a lesser extent so does smuggler Kun To.

Tenman - Star of Abundance
(Zhu Tong, the Beautiful Bearded)
Cleo (1), Feather or Sigfried or Aziboah (2), Juan (3), Paula (4), Dinn (5).
All strong warriors, can be party members. Except for 2, joins through plot.

Tenko - Lone Star
(Lu Zhi-shen, the Tattooed Monk)
Viktor (1-2), Sergeant Joe (3), Kika (4), Kyle (5)
Generally a powerful warrior who joins through plot and serves as a friend/right-hand to the hero. Always a party member.

Tensyo - the Wounded Star
(Wu Song, the Ascetic)
Valeria (1-2), Tomo (2, if not Valeria), Hugo (3), Keneth (4), Zegai (5)
Another powerful warrior who can join your parties; usually has at least some role in plot and often joins through or is at least introduced through plot. Usually has suffered a loss of some kind.

Tenritsu - Star of the Standing Spear
(Dong Ping, Warrior of the Two Spears)
Griffith (1), Fitcher (2), Bazba (3), Ramada (4), Isato (5)
Another faction leader/representative–moreso for 1-3 than 4 & 5. Usually has some role in plot but not necessarily a major one.

Tensyo - the Swift Star
(Zhang Qing, the Featherless Arrow)
Clive (1-2), Yun (3), Travis (4), Haswar (5)
No blatantly obvious connection, but... Haswar and Yun are both spiritual leaders of their people and found in sacred places; Travis is a recluse but is found near Ruins; Clive searches “old places” to hunt vampires, etc. So one could say they all have some connection to the ancient, while being clearly mortal. Usually has role in plot, except Travis.

Tenan - Dark Star
(Yang Shi, Blue Faced Beast)
Flik (1-2), Edge (3), Snowe (4), Belcoot (5)
All competent swordsmen who can join the party. Except in 3, joins through or is part of plot.

Tenyu - Guardian Star
(Xu Ning, Master Halberdier)
Camille (1), Tsai (2), Yumi (3), Rachel (4), Norma (5)
Except Yumi, are they all polearm wielders? I can’t remember. It would be appropriate given the Chinese character’s title.

Tenku - Empty Star
(Suo Chao, the Swift Vanguard)
Kreutz (1), Jess (2), Fubar (3), Helga (4), Ax (5)
Generally, very strong party members. Fubar and Ax are both mounts.

Tensoku - Speedy Star
(Dai Zong, the Godspeed Guardian)
Stallion (1-2), Nash (3), Cedric (4), Cathari (5)
All masters of the quick escape, and except for Nash, bearers of the Godspeed Rune (which didn’t exist in 3).

Teni - Strange Star
(Liu Tang, the Red Haired Devil)
Kage (1), Georg (2 & 5), Aila (3), Keen (4)
Kage and Keen are both assassins, and so is Georg, technically. So what the heck is Aila doing there? Makes you wonder...

Tensatsu - Murderous Star
(Li Kui, The Black Whirlwind)\
Fu Su Lu (1), Hanna (2), Hallec (3), Gau (4), Ernst (5)
Though in different ways, all are wild or beast-men. I’m not sure about Hanna; I can’t remember what she did.

Tenbi - Lowly Star
(Shi Jin, the Nine Dragon)
Kirkis (1), Killey (2 & 5), Chris (3), Gretchen (4)
I have no idea, beyond that they are all strong party members. All but Gretchen have at least some role in plot, I believe.

Tenkyu - Lewd Star
(Mu Hong - He Whom No Obstacle Can Stay)
Milich (1), Anita (2), Estella (3), Konrad (4), Shula (5)
Except for Konrad, tend to be at least a bit narcissistic (though not “the” Narcissist) –usually well dressed and pretty (or thinks so). Konrad is really an odd man out; he does have in common with Estella the fact that they are both magic teachers.

Tentai - Retreating Star
(Li Heng, the Winged Tiger)
Pahn (1), Feather OR Sigfried OR Abizoah (2), Cecile (3), Jewel (4), Shoon (5)
Except 2, usually has at least small role in plot and usually joins automatically. Always a tough fighter for your party.

Tenjyu - Star of Longevity
(Li Jun, the Dragon who Roils Rivers)
Sonya (1), Nanami (2), Geddoe (3), Katarina (4), Bernadette (5)
Little in common other than they usually join through plot. Katarina and Bernadette are most similar, being decent mages from the Island Nations with father issues.

Tenhei - Leveled Star
(Zhang Heng, the Boatman)
Tai Ho (1-2), Ace (3), Shiramine (4), Lance (5)
In 1, 2, and 4, is the “chief fisherman.” All are paired somehow with the Tenson Star; in 3 the relationship is most tenuous as Queen and Ace are part of a larger group, though it’s clear they have a strong connection to each other (but Ace is also paired off with Joker, and Queen to a lesser extent to Geddoe). I can kind of see Queen and Ace fishing together. :) Lance likes to eat fresh fish.

Tenson - the Broken Star
(Zhang Shun, Dances in the Waves)
Yam Koo (1-2), Queen (3), Ugetsu (4), Flail (5)
See Tenhei star. In 2 and 4 runs the pole-fishing game.

Tenken - Dagger Star
(Ruan the Second, He Who Ghouls Avoid)
Anji (1), Rina (2), Melville (3), Lo Seng (4), Volga (5)
Always part of a trio along with the Tenzai and Tenhai stars. If party members, usually has a unite attack. Usually, but not always, all three join at once (or otherwise, the first to join is usually required to recruit the rest).

Tenzai - Star of Sin
(Ruan the Fifth, the Reckless Brother)
Kanak (1), Eilie (2), Alanis (3), Lo Fong (4), Wasil (5)
Part of trio with Tenken and Tenhai. Oddly, the “Reckless Brother” is more often than not female.

Tenhai - the Vanquished Star
(Ruan the Seventh, the Ravenous Deathlord)
Leonardo (1), Bolgan (2), Eliot (3), Lo Hak (4), Orok (5)
Part of the trio with Tenken and Tenzai stars.

Tenrou - the Goal Star
(Yang Xiong, He who is Equal to Guan Suo)
Hix (1-2), Franz (3), Rakji (4), Yolan (5)
Always paired with Tensui star, always male. Sometimes party, sometimes support members. If both party members, usually has a unite attack. Usually but not always joins together.

Tensui - the Star of Intelligence
(Shi Xiu, One Who Heeds Not His Life)
Tengaar (1-2), Iku (3), Rikie (4), Nick (5)
Always paired with Tenrou, and except for 5, always female.

Tenbou - Savage Star
(Xie Zhen, Double Headed Snake)
Varkas (1), Freed (2), Scott (3), Jango (4), Wilhelm (5)
Except in 3, always paired with Tenkoku star (though they may not always join together).

Tenkoku - Wailing Star
(Xio Bao, Double-tailed Scorpion)
Sydonia (1), Yoshino (2), Anne (3), Brec (4), Mueller (5)
See Tenbou

Tenkou - Clever Star
(Yan Qing, Graceful One)
Eileen (1), Chaco (2), Dios (3), Flare (4), Toma (5)
Usually paired with or has some connection to Tengou Star, esp. 1, 3, and 4. In 2, Chaco is “lesser” rep from Two Rivers. Hard to see the connection between Toma and Raja though. Always join through plot.

Chikai - Chief Star of Earth
(Zhu Wu, Strategist of Divine Skill)
Leon (1), Klaus (2), Albert (3), Tanya (4), Cius (5)
Despite the grandiose title from Shi Hu Zhuan, usually only the “secondary” or “tertiary” strategist. Is not necessary or less necessary to the plot than Tenki Star. Often connected to the Tenki Star, however, but not as strongly as the Chifuku star. Usually provides some kind of strategic support value in large-scale tactical battles. Tanya is the weakest example since her primary role is as librarian, not strategist, but she fits in the story by wanting to study under Elenor, and she can lead units in tactical battles.

Chisatsu - Violent Star
(Huang Xin, He Who Rules Three Mountains)
Georges (1), Gilbert (2), Mua (3), Jeremy (4), Raven (5)
No discernible connection that I can find, though I can only barely remember who Gilbert and Georges are. They may all be possible party members.

Chiyu - Brave Star
(Sun Li, He Who is Equal to Yu-Chi)
Ivanov (1), Tetsu (2), Dominic (3), Gareth (4), Shinro (5)
Always provides some kind of service in your stronghold, but interestingly, never the same one. Ivanov and Gareth might be most similar, seeing as they are both artists.

Chiketsu - Noble Star of Wisdom
(Xuan Zan, the Disgraced Warrior. I’ve also seen this translated somewhere as “the Ugly Warrior”)
Jeane (1), Jeane (2), Jeane (3), Jeane (4), Jeane (5)
You know, I’m _sure_ there’s a connection here and I just can’t quite put my finger on it...

Chiyu - Heroic Star
(Hao Si-Wen, The Guardian Star God)
Eikei (1), Wakaba (2), Shabon (3), Lilon (4), Norden (5)
In 1-3, were all barefisted fighters. I can’t even remember what Norden did (beyond be drunk at the beginning of the game) as far as role went.

Chii - Majestic Star
(Han Tao, General with A Hundred Victories)
Maximilian (1-2), Fred (3), Gary (4), Isabel (5)
A Maximilian Knight, or in the case of Gary, person with similarly Quixotic personality. Always paired with the Chiei Star. Usable party member, except for Gary (and Ema) who is a Support character.

Chiei - Star of Courage
(Peng Qi, General with Celestial Eyes)
Sancho (1), Genshu (2), Rico (3), Ema (4), Mathias (5)
Partner (usually subordinate and/or less powerful, e.g., a squire) to Chii Star.

Chiki - Strange Star
(Shan Ting-gui, General of Godwater)
Grenseal (1), Camus (2), Percival (3), Sigurd (4), Rahal (5)
Generally a knightly or otherwise noble warrior, always paired with the Chimou Star (and has unite attack with him). Always male and generally a pretty boy to boot. Usuable party member.

Chimou - Ferocious Star
(Wei Ding-guo, General of Godfire)
Alen (1), Miklotov (2), Borus (3), Hervey (4), Roog (5)
Chiki’s knightly/noble warrior partner, usually the more macho/rowdier of the two. Usable party member.

Chibun - Learned Star
(Xiao Rang, the Divine Calligraphist)
Tesla (1), Jude (2), Twaikin (3), Micky (4), Gunde (5)
With exception of 3, provides some kind of service in stronghold. Tesla and Micky as a scribe and writer respectively best fit the “Shi Hu Zhuan” name.

Chisei - Guileless Star
(Pei Xuan, the Steel Masked Judge)
Jabba (1), Lebrante (2), Nadir (3), Nabokov (4), Bastan (5)
Except for 3, the castle appraiser (though I’ve heard mixing up Guillaume and Nadir was a mistake, but I’m not sure if that’s true). Nadir does still provide a castle service.

Chikatsu - The Eminent Star
(Ou Peng, the Flying Squirrel)
Lorelai (1,2, 5), Duke (3), Frederica (4)
With Ou Peng’s title, I wish Mukumuku were here, but I guess they couldn’t switch Lorelai out. Not sure of any connection beyond all serving as party members. Except in 5, I think they all join later on in the game.

Chitou - Folding Star
(Deng Fei, the Red Eyed Lion)
Blackman (1), Tony (2), Bartz (3), Mao (4), Goesch (5)
Always your plant-growing person in your stronghold.

Chikyou - Strong Star
(Tan Shun, the Sleek Tiger)
Joshua (1), Gijumu (2), Bright (3), Bartholomew (4), Fuwalafuwalu (5)
Can’t see any connection.

Chian - Strong Star
(Yang Lin, the Elegant Panther)
Morgan (1), Rikimaru (2), Toppo (3), Helmut (4), Richard (5)
Male party members, usually warrior types

Chijiku - the Axis Star
(Ling Zhen, Thunder that Shakes the Heavens)
Mose (1), Gantetsu (2), Beecham (3), Pablo (4), Wabon (5)
Male party members

Chikai - Star of Gathering
(Jiang Jing, God of Accounting)
Esmeralda (1), Simone (2), Gau (3), Bang (4), Lucerina (5)
Esmeralda and Simone were “secondary narcissists.” Lucerina isn’t a narcissist but certainly noble, pretty, and well-dressed (and her brother fits). Gau (the Kobold Merc) and Bang (the Lottery Owner) don’t quite fit that mold though (though Bang is quite the gentleman, worrying about Jeane being cold and all ).

Chisa, the Aiding Star
(Lu Fang, Minor Duke of Wen)
Melodye (1), Connell (2), Reed (3), Liloon (4), Rania (5)
1, 2, and 5 are phonologists (Sound Set Changers). 3&4 did not have that feature; Liloon is stronghold staff, however. Interestingly, “Reed” has no association with any of these, but his name does suggest a wind instrument.

Chiyu, the Helpful Star
(Guo Sheng, Ren-gui Reborn)
Chapman (1), Hans (2), Samus (3), Lilen (4), Mohsen (5)
Except for 3, some kind of stronghold staff. Like Reed, Samus seems to be a placeholder. Well, they are both servants at least.

Chirei, Clever Star
(An Dao-Quan, God of Medicine)
Liukan (1), Huan (2), Mio (3), Yu (4), Silva (5)
The chief doctor, always paired with the Chijyu star as an attendant/nurse/subordinate doctor. Mio is a slight exception as a nurse (because Tuta has to keep his star) though she joins you early, thus being the more “supportive” medical attendant.

Chijyu, Beast Star
(Huang-fu Duan, the Purple Bearded)
Fukien (1), Tuta (2-3), Carrie (4), Murad (5)
Secondary medical star, assistant to Chirei.

Chibi Star, Least Star
(Wang Ying, the Dwarf Tiger)
Futch (1-3), Dario (4), Gavaya (5)
Not sure. All male party members (I don’t think Futch can join a party in 1, but can in 2 and 3).

Chikyu, Intelligent Star
(Hu-la Niang, the Ten Foot Green Snake)
Kasumi (1-2), Tomo (2 if not Kasumi), Lilly (3), Millay (4), Hazuki (5)
A strong-spirited young female warrior; party member.

Chibou, Barbarous Star
(Bao Xu, God of Death)
Maas (1), Badeaux (2), Jefferson (3), Reinhold (4), Moroon (5)
1, 3, and 4 are stronghold service providers. Badeaux and Moroon are both loners but help in recruiting others. All males.

Chizen, Silent Star
(Pan Rui, Demon Lord Who Roils the Earth)
Crowley (1), Mazus (2), Sarah (3), Warlock (4), Levi (5)
Always a very powerful, if not most powerful wizard in the game. Always joinable to party (with sort-of exception to Sarah, due to odd way S3 was constructed).

Chikou, Wild Star
(Kong Ming, the Pleiades in the Night Sky)
Fuma (1), Mondo (2), Watari (3), Akaghi (4), Shigure (5)
Male ninja warrior, party member. Except in 1, always paired with Chikyou Star (usually with Unite Attack).

Chikyou, Star of Ambition
(Kong Liang, Mars in the Night Sky)
Moose (1), Sasuke (2), Ayame (3), Mizuki (4), Sagiri (5)
Party member. Except in 1, female ninja bearing the Shrike Rune and paired with Chikou Star.

Chihi, Flying Star
(Xiang Chong, the Eight-Armed Na-tuo)
Meese (1), Leona (2), Sebastian (3), Ornan (4), Marina (5)
Except 4, always stronghold staff. Leona, Sebastian, and Marina are all Innkeepers and/or party member roster managers. Ornan at least always is found in the inn and is obsessed with the innkeeper/party member changer, so there is still some connection.

Chisou, Walking Star
(Li Gun, Heaven Flying God)
Sergei (1), Adlai (2), Shizu (3), Manu (4), Babbage (5)
Elevator operator

Chikou, Cunning Star
(Jin Da-jian, Jade Arm Engraver)
Kimberley (1), Raura (2), Hortez VII (3), Rene (4), Haleth (5)
Always stronghold staff (except Kimberley? I can’t remember what she did besides drink with Tai Ho). Raura and Hortez have the same job (only games with scrollmakers, except 5 where Rune Sages provide that service)

Chimei, Clear Star
(Ma Lin, Sagacious Iron Flautist)
Sheena (1-2), Elaine (3), Ameria (4), Nifsara (5)
Except Sheena, very pretty femmey warrior women. Makes me wonder about Sheena.

Chisin, Forward Star
(Tong Wei, Crocodile Out of the Cave)
Kessler (1), Kinnison (2), Jacques (3), Nico (4), Yahr (5)
Males always paired somehow with Chitai Star (except 1?). Jacques and Joker aren’t a “pair” per se but are part of the same team (much like Queen and Ace being stars belonging to “paired” stars). Usually but not always party members.

Chitai Star - Retreating Star
(Tong Meng, Mirage that Roils the River)
Marco (1), Shiro (2), Joker (3), Wendel (4), Nelis (5)
Warrior party members, paired with Chisin star.

Chiman - Full Star
(Meng Kang, the Jade Banner Pole)
Gen (1), Amada (2), Wan Fu (3), Tov (4), Muroon (5)
1, 2, and 4 are all shipbuilders. Muroon, IIRC, is the most “builder” of the Beavers, though not necessarily of ships. Wan Fu seems out of place.

Chisui - the Fulfilled Star
(The Nimble Monkey)
Hugo the Scholar (1), Emilia (2), Eike (3), Phil (4), Alhazred (5)
All stronghold servants, and except in 4, the librarian (Tanya has that role in 4).

Chisyu - the Complete Star
(Ch’en Ta, the Gorge-Leaping Tiger)
Hellion (1), Zamza (2), Leo (3), Eugene (4), Bergen (5)
All party members. No other association I can see.

Chiin - Hidden Star
(Yang Chun, the White Spotted Snake)
Mina (1), Karen (2), Roland (3), Mitsuba (4), Miakis (5)
Party members. Except Roland, all young women warriors. Mina and Karen are both dancers.

Chii - Peculiar Star
(Zheng Tian-shou, the Fair-faced Gentleman)
Milia (1), Lo Wen (2), Sharon (3), Lilan (4), Sharmista (5)
Except 4, warrior-mage party members, all female (?). Interesting that Milia and her daughter share the same star.

Chiri - Star of Justice
(Tao Zong-Wang, the Nine-tailed Turtle)
Kamandol (1), Tenkou (2), Nicolas (3), Nataly (4), Zunda (5)
2, 4, and 5 are Window Changers. I can’t remember who Nicolas was (one of Duke’s men?). Kamandol I think provided boat services, so except 3, all stronghold support.

Chisyun - Elegant Star
(Song Qing, the Iron Fan)
Juppo (1), Gadget (2), Gadget Z (3), Nao (4), Sorensen (5)
All vaguely to do with technology or research. Except Nao, connected to the Chikei "Trickster Girl" Star, usually with Unite Attack.

Chigaku - Star of Music
(Yue He, the Iron Throat)
Kasios (1), Annallee (2), Nei (3), Etienne (4), Cornelio (5)
The soundtrack playback musicians. 2, 3, and 5 have other “band members” as well (Cornelio’s being non-Stars but he won’t playback the soundtrack unless you have them).

Chibin - Quick Star
(Gong Wang, the Spotted-Neck Tiger)
Viki (1-5)
Aaaaaaaaaa-choooooooo!

Chisoku - Star of Haste
(Ding De-sun, Arrow-Wounded Tiger)
Rubi (1), Koyu (2), Viki-chan (3), Kate (4), Zweig (5)
All usable party members, often either mages or fighter-mages. Though with different Stars, other Stars (usually plot-related) must be recruited first in order to get them (Zweig is part of plot, but you still have to recruit someone else first to get him).

Chichin, the Supressing Star
(Mu Chun, the Lesser One Whom No Obstacle Can Stay)
Vincent (1-2), Augustine (3), Charlemagne (4), Josephine (5)
Always a Narcissist and usually the bearer of the Red Rose Rune. Sometimes paired with other narcissists, but the other Star varies.

Chikei - Halted Star
(Cao Zheng, Sword Grasping Devil)
Meg (1-2), Belle (3), Rita (4), Lu (5)
Genki trickster/gadgeteer/inventor girl. Except 5, wields hammer (because in 5, her weapon is her gadget). Rita has no connection to technology, but she is an “inventor” of games.

Chima - Devil Star
(Song Wan, the Guardian God in the Clouds)
Taggart (1), Mukumuku (2), Koroku (3), Oleg (4), Maroon (5)
2, 3, and 5 are part of a group of 5 that must be collected (though only Maroon is part of 5 that are all Stars of Destiny). One would think one of the mermaids would be this star in 4, but no. Have no recollection of what Taggart was supposed to be.

Chiyou - Magic Star
(Du Qian, the Sky Scraper)
Giovanni (1), Marlowe (2), Arthur (3), Perrault (4), Taylor (5)
3-5 are Journalists and similarly, Marlowe is a writer/biographer. No idea/recollection about Giovanni.

Chiyu - Obscure Star
(Xue Wong, He Who Is Like a Tiger)
Quincy (1), Richmond (2), Kidd (3), Deborah (4), Oboro (5)
All detectives except Deborah, who serves similar role in helping you find Stars of Destiny (and unlike the others, kindly does not charge for the service!).

Chifuku - Hiding Star
(Shi En, Gold-Eyed Tiger Cub)
Apple (1-3), Agnes (4), Lelei (5)
Assistant to the Tenki star and usually a secondary or tertiary strategist themselves. Usually extremely loyal to the Tenki star as well (unlike the Chikai, Chief Star of Earth, whose connection varies). Always female (but probably is not a requirement for the role) and oddly always has auburn hair (also likely not a requirement for the role).

Chihi - Orphan Star
(Li Zhong, Tiger-Slaying General)
Kai (1), Lo Chan Chen (2), Kenji (3), Trishtan (4), Genoh (5)
1-3, all trainers by profession (though did not provide any service; interestingly, the only service-providing trainer is in 4 and is a different star). All are warrior party members.

Chiku - Empty Star
(Zhou Tong, Xiang Yu Minor)
Lotte (1), Millie (2), Mel (3), Noah (4), Meroon (5)
Young girls all somehow connected to animals/furry creatures – Lotte loves her cats, Millie has “Bonaparte,” Mel has “Branky,” Noah pretends to be a Nay-Kobold, and Meroon IS a furry creature. Perhaps Meroon says “Nuooohh” in subconscious deference to her predecessor Noah.

Chiko - Lonely Star
(Tang Long, the Pock-marked One)
Mace (1), Tessai (2), Peggi (3), Adrienne (4), Dongo (5)
The blacksmith (in 1's case, the chief blacksmith).

Chizen - Finished Star
(Du Xing, the Devil Faced)
Onil (1), Taki (2), Martha (3), Setsu (4), Fuyo (5)
Stronghold staff. 1-3 are old women; 1, 2, and 5 are a little gossipy/talkative.

Chitan - Short Star
(Zou Yuan, Dragon Out of the Woods)
Kuromimi (1), Gengen (2), Wilder (3), Nalkul (4), Logg (5)
Except 5, a beast-man character paired with the Chikaku Star, usually with Unite Attack. Logg and Lun are paired, but I gotta wonder if somehow they should have been switched with Lance and Flail in the “Fishermen” stars.

Chikaku - Corner Star
(Zou Run the Unicorn)
Gon (1), Gabocha (2), Rhett (3), Champo (4), Lun (5)
See Chitan. Usually slightly subordinate to Chitan (though in Lun's case, she is smarter than Logg and tells him what to do despite his technically being the authority figure).

Chisyu - Prisoned Star
(Zhu Gui, Demonic Beast on Dry Land)
Antonio (1), Yuzu (2), Louis (3), Funghi (4), Shun Min (5)
All have some connection to a chef or cooking, though in different ways. Yuzu and Shun Min provide “fresh meat” for the cooks additionally (only games with “rancher” roles). Usually but not always paired with Chizou Star.

Chizou - Hoarding Star
(Zhu Fu, Smiling Tiger)
Lester (1), Hai Yo (2), Mamie (3), Pecola (4), Retso (5)
Except 4, the (chief) chef. Maybe would have made more sense to switch Pecola with Funghi–but at least she supplies stronghold service.

Chihei - Smooth Star
(Cai Fu, the Iron Armed)
Kirke (1), Kahn (2), Ruby (3), Maxine (4), Egbert (5)
No overt connection. All can join parties, but Egbert only as support.

Chison - Wounded Star
(Cai Qing, the Single Flower)
Rock (1), Barbara (2), Muto (3), Basil (4), Chuck (5)
All warehouse-keepers except Basil (as there were no warehouses in 4), who is still Stronghold Support.

Chido - Serving Star
(Li Li, Judge of the Underworld)
Ledon (1), Sid (2), Landis (3), Igor (4), Byakuren (5)
Except 5, thieves/bandits and/or gamblers. Both Sid and Landis are Wingers. Not sure how Byakuren fits in.

Chisatsu - Searching Star
(Li Yun, the Black-eyed Tiger)
Sylvina (1), Shin (2), Kathy (3), Lilin (4), Kisara (5)
Can’t see a connection. Except Shin, all female.

Chiaku - Fierce Star
(Jiao Ting the Faceless)
Ronnie (1), Oulan (2), Emily (3), Karl (4), Nikea (5)
Martial artists, and all female except Karl.

Chisyu - Ugly Star
(Shi Yong, General Shi)
Gaspar (1), Shilo (2), Billy (3), Gunter (4), Linfa (5)
Gamblers all.

Chisu - Mathematic Star
(Sun Xin, Yu-Chi Minor)
Window (1), Alex (2), Mike (3), Desmond (4), Faylon (5)
All provide some stronghold service, except Faylon.

Chiin - Shadowy Star
(Gu-tai Sou, The Mother Tiger)
Marie (1), Hilda (2), Luce (3), Louise (4), Faylen (5)
All tend to be female caretaker types. Marie and Louise are both innkeepers.

Chikei - Avenging Star
(Zhang Qin the Gardener)
Zen (1), Bob (2), Sanae (3), Kevin (4), Subala (5)
All party members (except Kevin, who is Support party); beyond that I can’t see a connection.

Chisou - Strong Star
(Sun-ji Niang, the Night Ogre)
Sarah the Laundress (1), Ayda (2), Anne (3), Pam (4), Urda (5)
All female, often in some kind of caretaker role; younger than Chiin Star. Ayda and Urda are both forest protectors.

Chiretsu - Inferior Star
(Wang Ding-liu, Lightning Deathlord)
Sansuke (1), Pico (2), Goro (3), Taisuke (4), Miroon (5)
Except in 2, the Bath tender. Pico is a musician but I can’t remember if he really did anything to “support” in Stronghold.

Chiken - Mighty Star
(Yu Bao-si, God of Dangerous Roads)
Qlon (1), Alberto (2), Piccolo (3), Nalleo (4), Chisato (5)
Usually some kind of Stronghold Support (except Nalleo I think, who only had role in tactical battles?)

Chimou - Rat Star
(Bai Sheng, Rat in the Daylight)
Templeton (1-2), Rody (3), Haruto (4), Takamu (5)
1,2, and 5–mapmakers, and Haruto is the Ship’s Navigator, so similar enough. Rody seems out of place.

Chizoku - Thieving Star
(Shi Qian, Flea on a Drum)
Krin (1), Hoi (2), Guillaume (3), Oskar (4), Roy (5)
All thieves and/or con-men. Hoi and Roy both impersonate the Tenkai. (If Guillaume switched with Nadir so he’s in the appraiser slot, would it still work?)

Chikou - Dog Star
(Duan Jing-zhu, the Golden Dog)
Chandler (1), Gordon (2), the Other Gordon (3), Chadli (4), Sairoh (5)
Either item shop owner or trading post owner. Interesting that no kobold (or dog) has ever been in the position of “the Dog Star”).
Last edited by DeathQuaker on Mon May 29, 2006 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Illigitimi non carborundum
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Roles of the 108 Stars Part I: 36 Stars of Heaven

Post by patapi »

Aha, you finally posted the list.
What is pointedly MISSING is that, while I have the names of the characters from the original "Water Margin" novel (gotten from here and SARS), I have no idea who they are, and of course explaining their roles may help shed light on what the roles of the corresponding Suikoden characters are supposed to play. Any insight shared on those will especially be appreciated.
Perhaps you might want to take into account some of the things that other users have posted in that other topic into this list here instead? It will serve as a good starting point.
DeathQuaker wrote:I compiled this list a little while ago, and while I was waiting until it was okay to post this in the full character theories thread , this topic has come up in the "Why some stars..." thread so, being timely, I'm posting it here and now. I'm following Patapi the Board Mod's suggestion that I break up the list of 108 into chunks for manageable reading, so below are the first 36 stars.
Refer to the PM I sent out today.
DeathQuaker

Re: Roles of the 108 Stars Part I: 36 Stars of Heaven

Post by DeathQuaker »

Patapi wrote:
Perhaps you might want to take into account some of the things that other users have posted in that other topic into this list here instead? It will serve as a good starting point.
As I mentioned, I will try to get to that later. Unfortunately I have no more time to compile it all right now. (And my plans are to edit the first post with suggestions from both that thread and those offered here as they are made.)
Sasarai_valixz

Post by Sasarai_valixz »

Wow DeathQuaker THX A LOT Pal!!!
I bestow you with the power of Unity of The Holy Circle Rune!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Sasarai_valixz wrote:Wow DeathQuaker THX A LOT Pal!!!
FYI: Pal = Gal
Kirin

Post by Kirin »

Yeah, very nice job DQ. As I mentioned in the original thread, I was thinking of writing up something like this, but hesitant because it might have already been done. Well, here we are then. ^_^ Well done.

It'd be great to see Patapi's knowledge of the original Water Margin characters added to this, but I'm sure everyone's busy... but no rush, as this is a long-term information thing. Maybe with that and some further refinement, it can graduate to a full site FAQ someday.
Weilong Jin

Post by Weilong Jin »

I've got the book, and I was looking for an excuse to re-read it. I would be more then happy to compile a list of how they fit in with those groups, if nobody else has the time to do it. I don't have anything else on at the moment, but let me know and I'll start on the list soon.
Felenan Prince

Post by Felenan Prince »

Something about the star of longevity. I think all of them have this in common:They someone who has some relation to them has recently died Sonya=Teo,Geddoe=FC and Wyatt,Nanami=Genkaku,Katrina=Glen and as for Bernadette if the rumor is true she is related to Ferid who has just recently died.

As for the star of wealth with the possible exeption of Nina(although being able to study in the Greenhill Academy might mean she is well to do) all of them are rich. Kun To is a powerful merchant. Jimba was also very rich considering Chris home in Vinay de Zexay. Euram is obviously wealth and Eresh is possible well to do considering she may have a high rank in Nagarea. As for Chiepo he becomes wealth in rapsodia if you help him.
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

Tenyu and Tenmou Stars - Star of Bravery, Star of Heroic Ferocity

One thing I've noticed, although the trend is broken in S5, is that the Tenyuu (Kasim, Hauser, Yuber, Izak, Galleon) was an offensive general, while the Tenmou (Kwanda, Kiba, Shiba, Axel, Boz) was a defensive one. Galleon and Boz seem to be switched though.

Teni Star - Star of Majesty

All of them but Selma have some sort of personal vendetta, although not necessarily in the game they play. Pesmega has Yuber, Lucia had Teresa, and Nakula had Sagiri

Tenei Star - Heroic Star

Sierra was the Guardian of her village, so the guardian theme makes sense

Tenman Star - Star of Abundance

All are close to the Tenkai except for II

Tensoku Star - Speedy Star

Although Nash is no bearer of the Godspeed, he would cvertainly have to be swift in his position

Tensatsu Star - Murderous Star

Hanna was no beastwoman, but she certainly could be thought of as "savage"

Tenkyu Star Lewd Star

I think all of them have an apprentice or rival that is another SoD. It's been a while since SuikoI, but Anita has Valeria, Estella has Rody, Konrad has Katarina. Shula might have rivals in either Maha (their tactics and attitudes), or Boz (I recall some letters in the comment box)

Tentai Star - Retreating Star

Bodyguard-esque role for the Tenkai. Pahn and Cecile are obvious, and Jewel can certainly be in that position. Shoon is odd, although I think he does act like a bodyguard to the Prince when we meet him those two times in Stormfist

Tenhei and Tenson - Leveled and Broken

Both are people who work together.

Tenkou Star - Clever Star

A subordinate, although not necessarily of the Tengou Star. For 1,3, and 4, seems the more administrative of the pair.

Chiyu Star - Brave Star

All different, but all consider themselves "artists." Remembers Tetsu's talk about baths, and Dominic's talk of asthetic beauty?

Chikatsu Star - The Eminent Star

Always known to have big personal vendettas against someone. Lorelai has Killey (and to a lesser extent, Zweig), Duke has Geddoe, and Frederica had Graham

Chijiku Star - The Axis Star
For 1, 3, and 4, servants to another star. Mose was under Mace, Beecham under Lucia, and Pablo was under Warlock. Gantetsu could technically be considered a servant, since he's a priest, but Wabon was the leader. Oddball there

That's just what I have right now. What do you think?
-M
Chernigov

Post by Chernigov »

Tensoku Star - Speedy Star

Although Nash is no bearer of the Godspeed, he would cvertainly have to be swift in his position
I agree, Nash was one speedy dude, he always attacked first in my party unless I had someone with great speed skills or high levels.
It must be so great, to have the bits that stick out and the bits that stay in be so clearly revealed!
DeathQuaker

Re: Roles of the 108 Stars

Post by DeathQuaker »

Wow, thanks everyone for your kind comments and suggestions so far. I am compiling things to edit/add to the list--bear with me; I've got a lot of projects going on.

While I'm here I wanted to pinpoint some of the mysteries that I don't think have been touched upon much yet, here or in the other thread.
DeathQuaker wrote:
Tenfu - Star of Wealth
(Li Ying, the Eagle Who Smites the Heavens)
Kun To (1), Nina (2), Jimba (3), Chiepoo (4), Euram OR Eresh (5)
This one’s got me stumped. I think all of them join through plot (except 5, but Euram certainly is a “plot-related character”), but other than that it’s hard to see a connection. Chiepoo lives up most to the “Star of Wealth” and to a lesser extent so does smuggler Kun To.
Falenan Prince comments on this star a bit, but I was wondering if anyone (Patapi?) had any info on Li Ying that might further help with the analysis.
Tenyu - Guardian Star
(Xu Ning, Master Halberdier)
Camille (1), Tsai (2), Yumi (3), Rachel (4), Norma (5)
Except Yumi, are they all polearm wielders? I can’t remember. It would be appropriate given the Chinese character’s title.
Am I right about the polearms?
Tenbi - Lowly Star
(Shi Jin, the Nine Dragon)
Kirkis (1), Killey (2 & 5), Chris (3), Gretchen (4)
I have no idea, beyond that they are all strong party members. All but Gretchen have at least some role in plot, I believe.
Anything further on this set? There are a lot of important characters here, but I can't see much connection beyond being strong usable party members. And even Gretchen, though she doesn't have a lot of plot significance, was a good, useful character, and had a good Unite with Jeane and Kika.
Chisatsu - Violent Star
(Huang Xin, He Who Rules Three Mountains)
Georges (1), Gilbert (2), Mua (3), Jeremy (4), Raven (5)
No discernible connection that I can find, though I can only barely remember who Gilbert and Georges are. They may all be possible party members.

Thoughts on this? Reminders as to Georges and Gilbert's roles would help. Mua seems to be of most plot significance (I think the rest are all optional....)
Chikatsu - The Eminent Star
(Ou Peng, the Flying Squirrel)
Lorelai (1,2, 5), Duke (3), Frederica (4)
With Ou Peng’s title, I wish Mukumuku were here, but I guess they couldn’t switch Lorelai out. Not sure of any connection beyond all serving as party members. Except in 5, I think they all join later on in the game.
Here's another one where they have some role in the plot (although Lorelai only really did in 5), but here not even very strongly. If it weren't for Frederica, I'd say you have to fight them or be strong enough before you join... but maybe you did have to be of a certain power level before Frederica joined?
Chikyou - Strong Star
(Tan Shun, the Sleek Tiger)
Joshua (1), Gijumu (2), Bright (3), Bartholomew (4), Fuwalafuwalu (5)
Can’t see any connection.
??? I don't remember who Gijumu was.
Chisyu - the Complete Star
(Ch’en Ta, the Gorge-Leaping Tiger)
Hellion (1), Zamza (2), Leo (3), Eugene (4), Bergen (5)
All party members. No other association I can see.
Another mystery.
Chiin - Hidden Star
(Yang Chun, the White Spotted Snake)
Mina (1), Karen (2), Roland (3), Mitsuba (4), Miakis (5)
Party members. Except Roland, all young women warriors. Mina and Karen are both dancers.
Is there a way to make Roland fit?

Chimou - Rat Star
(Bai Sheng, Rat in the Daylight)
Templeton (1-2), Rody (3), Haruto (4), Takamu (5)
1,2, and 5–mapmakers, and Haruto is the Ship’s Navigator, so similar enough. Rody seems out of place.
How to make Rody fit?

Thanks again!
Sasarai_valixz

Post by Sasarai_valixz »

Well maybe for

Hellion-Zamza-Leo-Eugene-Bergen

What I can see is that Eugene and Bergen are 'wanna be's
I mean

Eugene wanna be a hero/useful lad
Bergen wanna be Levi's apprentice coz he wanna 'see' great va-voom magic

Then Hellion-Zamza connection is maybe because magic
Hellion is a great mage, Zamza said that he was a magic trainer.

Am I correct?
I bestow you with the power of Unity of The Holy Circle Rune!
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

For Chimou star the best thing I can think of is that Estella is keeping Rody from his destiny. Slaping a Wall and Firefly Rune on him and using him as a barrier between her and enemies.

Gjiumu was the leader of the Mountain Bandits from the mining province, the one that Neclord took over.

Chikatsu - I'll have to look up Fredrica but the other two always seemed like they had something to prove to someone. Lorelai with Killey and Zweig and then Duke with Geddoe.

The Tenfu star is tricky... looking at the names I *almost* want to say they are all Defiant stars. I can't remember Kun To but the rest I do.

Nina helped Tereasa at risk of her own life, in deifance of the Highland troops occupiying Greenhill. Jimba protected the TWR with his life and had joined both FC's wars in defiance of Harmonia. Cheipoo wanted to be the best merchant of Island Nations, wanted to change his role. Eurham is easier then Eresh in that he did defy Falena goverment by helping his father steal the Dawn Rune. Eresh we don't know enough about to be certain.

Also on the Asassin Star with Geddoe, Kage, Keen and Alia. I wanted to say this star is dedicated to a cause even if it makes them look bad. In a way Alia joining the Harmonian Border group would make some Grasslanders think she has betrayed them. Though we don't have enough to state that firmly I do think she works within Harmonia now to better Grasslands lot.

Sierra is indeed a guardian, not just of her People but of the Moon Rune which she nuts Neclord down to get back. I would say each of this star are dedicated to death for person or cause.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

ShardStar wrote:The Tenfu star is tricky... looking at the names I *almost* want to say they are all Defiant stars. I can't remember Kun To but the rest I do.
Kun To was a smuggler, which could be considered an act of defiance. I consider it one anyway....
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Somniloquy

Post by Somniloquy »

As for the Templeton-Rody-Haruto-Takamu star...Yeah, the rest fit in, but with Rody..

All I can think of is that Rody had to undergo various training methods via Estella...some of which were burying himself in the ground and stuff like that. I guess maybe that has something to do with the connection to the land around him? Also, he was trying to fly on a broom, which may have hinted at travel, which obviously mapmakers do enough of.

Not sure, but I wanted to try, because Rody was an awesome character. ^_^;