What a sissy

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Pretty Like A Girl

Post by Pretty Like A Girl »

precisely why they should give him a bloody personality then! i mean its like you're just controlling a puppet, its frustrating. saying that suikoden is still on of my favourite series of all time so don't get me wrong.
i am like a wall of flesh....
LadyChris

Post by LadyChris »

I think he looks gay, to be honest.
LoganAlpha30X13

Post by LoganAlpha30X13 »

I really wish that the prince would of had a third look in the game, well third main look anyway. First he starts off wearing that orange thing and then dons his "armor" for the rest of the game with a couple of short lived changes of clothing. Say after Sialeeds does her thing he could change his look, like cut his braids off and bulk up a bit, changing his armor as well.

Though yes the heroes of Suikoden games often look a little weak to me. I'll go now..........................
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

May I mention that just because you look weak doesn't mean you are.

I believe there's a FAQ somewhere that discusses how Hai Yo (Who looks UBER weak to me) is actually stronger than Killey. >_>;
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Anyway, the prince only looks like a girl in the Character Art. In-game he looks quite manly, regardless of his silly attire.
Hmm...
Joveeno

Post by Joveeno »

I like his McDohl-like costume best and I don't mind of his campaign outfit (I'd rather name it campaign one than a corset)...

First of all, his feminine looks is because he is in a kingdom...he is about 5 or 6 years difference with Lym, and I think that Ferid and Arshtat might be starting to worry not to have a daughter after he's born...

Secondly, his campaign outfit, I personally think that it suit him because of his weapon (the Tri-Nunchaku)...using a Tri-Nunchaku, or even a Nunchaku like that requires a good arm maneuverability...

Thirdly, he's still 16! Correct me if I'm wrong but Commander Shula Valya looked terribly pretty when he was at Hero5's age (talk to Nifsara or the other character who accompanied Shula, I forgot the name)...at least Shula now look a bit more manly...
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Joveeno wrote:Thirdly, he's still 16! Correct me if I'm wrong but Commander Shula Valya looked terribly pretty when he was at Hero5's age (talk to Nifsara or the other character who accompanied Shula, I forgot the name)...at least Shula now look a bit more manly...
You know, that's not a good example. I thought Shula Valya was a woman until the scane where he joined the Hero's Army. In that same vein, I actually thought Maha Sparna was a guy. A very Narccisist guy, but a guy. So, I was quite shocked when I realized I got their genders completely backwards.
Hmm...
Joveeno

Post by Joveeno »

Well...sorry about that but...still I also got them mixed at first, but I thought Shula was a woman not because of his picture, but because he's paired with Alenia...

Well, we all saw Maha paired with Zahhak, I thought Maha was a man (this time, it's because the picture) and I thought Gizel must paired man with man and woman with woman...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say in my 3rd point is that, boys, especially oriental types are usually looked more younger (which refers to cute and for some, pretty) than western peoples...

well, i'm oriental myself, i'm almost 18, but some of my friends called me babyface...or even cute...
Onix

Post by Onix »

Hmm...The Hero gay? hehehe. I thought he was one....cause of his clothes......but in the 3d art(?) he looks more manly...His picture portrait looks like a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think he has a well-built body.(has 6pacs and stuff). He really made me think that he WAS a little bit of a sissy when Lyon punches the Prince and collapses(does that really happen in real life???) , just to make him not go to save Lym. ehehe.... But I think he's more of a man when he shows his "affection" to people...(the scene with Miakis in Doraat, the scene after beating the sun rune moth with Lyon, the loving brother scene with Lymsleia...)

Also!!!! I also though Shula was a woman, the cutscene of the coronation ceremony....he really looked like a woman..........waaaaaah I was fooled....I just can't believe that he was a man...but well thats how it is.
Maha's picture portrait...i also thought he was a MAN!!! but her name was for a woman so I just looked into her portrait.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Onix wrote:Hmm...The Hero gay? hehehe. I thought he was one....cause of his clothes......but in the 3d art(?) he looks more manly...His picture portrait looks like a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think he has a well-built body.(has 6pacs and stuff). He really made me think that he WAS a little bit of a sissy when Lyon punches the Prince and collapses(does that really happen in real life???) , just to make him not go to save Lym. ehehe.... But I think he's more of a man when he shows his "affection" to people...(the scene with Miakis in Doraat, the scene after beating the sun rune moth with Lyon, the loving brother scene with Lymsleia...)

Also!!!! I also though Shula was a woman, the cutscene of the coronation ceremony....he really looked like a woman..........waaaaaah I was fooled....I just can't believe that he was a man...but well thats how it is.
Maha's picture portrait...i also thought he was a MAN!!! but her name was for a woman so I just looked into her portrait.
I think everyone thought Maha Sparna was a man and Shula a woman. I know I did....

This discussion makes me realize that many people are homophobes.. I never had any problem with the prince( though his last outfit didn't look that good.... I don't think it made him look gay...).
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Wow, aren't some fans the bigoted bunch. Feminine looking boys are nothing new to Japanese RPG's and cerainly not even Suikoden as a whole. Sorry guys but Riou and Tir certainly are not the epitome of masculinity either. Considering that they are pretty much smack dab at the beginnings of puberty though, it makes sense and the Falenan prince is no exception.

I certainly know guys who took until 14-15 to hit puberty. Considering the date of the last sacred games, if the marriage occurred immediately following and the prince was conceived pretty much the night of the wedding, he realistically can only be about 14. So yes realistically 13-14 can still be not fully through puberty and thus he looks more feminine. Boys eventually lose the baby face and look more manly with time. In fact the game addressed it through one of Shula's assistants.

And the 3d model did make him look a bit more masculine than the asrtwork did. He does have the broader shoulders that guys get. And yes he takes after his mother dearest but he is not a woman.

However even if he looked like a girl minus boobs that would not make him gay. Did anybody say that about Tuta since he looked like a cute little girl in the second game. How about the twin brat mages of which one looked more like a 14 year old girl than a 32 year old man... oh wait no fangirls already have that notion. Rahal for goodness sake entirely plays with the bishonen thing and he looks more like a woman in the 3d model than the prince.

But what makes people assume that that makes someone gay? Guess what, most gay people look like thier genders. Having seen two episodes of Queer Eye for the Straight guy and looking at a couple yaoi doujinji does not give a working knowledge. PLenty of real life gay people actually hate those stereotypes. Try speaking to them, you'll find most of them are quite normal, for better or for worse.

So can the whole gay thing not be used as slander? Does a sexuality matter at all? Dislike a character design for whatever reason... dislike the personality or lack therof for a valid reason. But why is gay the first insult that people come up for anything? Besides, I personally thought that the whole Lyon thing was a not so subtle hint.
Weilong Jin

Post by Weilong Jin »

I just skimmed through this, because it was long, and a large amount of the posting was offensive. But I don't know if anyone else has brought up the point that every single other character who comes from Falena has a feminine outfit. They just aren't 16 year olds who haven't grown into manhood yet.

The Queen's Knight outfit is feminine even on Georg and Ferid. Not to mention Kyle. They all have the capes and the flowing parts. I think that the Prince's outfit was designed as a parrallel to the Queen's Knight Commander Outfit Gizel eventually gets. They have similar colors, but the Prince retains a lot of the style of the rest of the Royal Families clothing.

And yes, its a Queendom. The whole society is geared towards the Powerful female. So the fashion would be directly influenced by that. I think his outfit is good compared to some nondescript outfits from other RPG's. I've had enough of Black pants, bare arms and a vest. *Cough*Cloud*Cough*

The Prince is young, and lives in a country and a capital where the fashion is all Feminine, that is all that makes him look like a girl. Even then he AT MOST looks Androginous. So if you're offended by the Prince's femininity, then you probably have problems, and nobody forces you to play the game.
Futch

Post by Futch »

The Prince is simply dressed like a Prince. His outfit in the begining is a robe, not a dress. As for the ponytail, it is comman in many cultures, both in the Real World and in Suikoden, to grow out and braid the hair of royal males, escpecialy when they're young. Plus he does not look nearly as feminine as Shula or, say, Jowey.
Adagerad

Post by Adagerad »

What bothers me more than the prince's decidedly fruity appearance is his lack of poise and poor posture. I would expect a royal to have a distinguished bearing, yet the prince hunches over like a servant in many of the game's cutscenes. Evidently the motion actor who supplied the prince's movements graduated from the Gollum school of acting.
sereith

Post by sereith »

Weilong Jin wrote:I just skimmed through this, because it was long, and a large amount of the posting was offensive. But I don't know if anyone else has brought up the point that every single other character who comes from Falena has a feminine outfit. They just aren't 16 year olds who haven't grown into manhood yet.

The Queen's Knight outfit is feminine even on Georg and Ferid. Not to mention Kyle. They all have the capes and the flowing parts. I think that the Prince's outfit was designed as a parrallel to the Queen's Knight Commander Outfit Gizel eventually gets. They have similar colors, but the Prince retains a lot of the style of the rest of the Royal Families clothing.

The Prince is young, and lives in a country and a capital where the fashion is all Feminine, that is all that makes him look like a girl. Even then he AT MOST looks Androginous. So if you're offended by the Prince's femininity, then you probably have problems, and nobody forces you to play the game.
I wasn't really bother by the fact he looked a bit feminine and quite used to it (ahem, yaoi fangirl here). If I remembered clearly, the Prince (from the orange outfit to the umm...I dunno what to call it, diva? outfit) had a change of costume because Lucretia wanted him to look the role, of a Leader. Since it's a system whereby only the women can ascend to the throne therefore a Queendom. So I suppose looking feminine, especially since you're from the royal family, means you have some sort of power? I think the point was just to make him look more of leader, not just some poster boy of the royal family.

Even the Queen's Knights have flowy bows/ribbons(Kyle and Galleon) tied to their backs of their uniform. Afterall it is a queendom and he is in the royal family, so his femininity is cutural and also somewhat influenced (imagine everyday seeing your mom as the big boss of the country). He is still quite young and hasn't even reached adulthood. But I liked the character designs for the knights more than I liked the ones for the Prince, I just don't like orange/red shades but the Tir-looking one was my favourite. And I thought the cutscence in Lunas (after he flees from Sol-Falena) with him brooding was so manly. That's just me.:)