What a sissy

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Captain Tenneal

Re: What a sissy

Post by Captain Tenneal »

The relationship piece is a good idea and it reminds me of the social links mechanic of Persona 3 and 4, if you've played those. There was a glimmer of that in II, where Jowy would ask the main character a lot of questions that you actually got to respond to, so it made their friendship more tangible. It could even be as rudimentary as the system they made in FFVII, where your answers gave you "relationship points" that later determined who would go with you on a "date" at the Golden Saucer theme park. You're right, although Suikoden is a game centered on mass-conflict, there's no reason that it could contain a love element.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Captain Tenneal wrote:The relationship piece is a good idea and it reminds me of the social links mechanic of Persona 3 and 4, if you've played those. There was a glimmer of that in II, where Jowy would ask the main character a lot of questions that you actually got to respond to, so it made their friendship more tangible. It could even be as rudimentary as the system they made in FFVII, where your answers gave you "relationship points" that later determined who would go with you on a "date" at the Golden Saucer theme park. You're right, although Suikoden is a game centered on mass-conflict, there's no reason that it could contain a love element.
Hmm, the glimmer in II was very small, though. Most of the time the choices resulted in the same consequence, or in the cases where the choice was wrong, it made you choose the other option afterward anyway. It would be nice if the choices were truly player controlled (I guess Lym points in V came closer, slightly) with totally different outcomes.
Captain Tenneal

Heh, yeah, it was pretty much the illusion of choice, but seeing some of his responses was interesting. It's kinda like the old Dragon Warrior scenario:

Princess: "Dost thou love me?"

DW: "No."

Princess: "But thou must!"

Princess: "Dost thou love me?"

DW: "No."

Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Haha, never played that one. My favorite choice selection for Suiko II would have to be:

Rowd: Any last words?
Riou: "No (or something like that)" VS. "You're a jerk"
Jowy: ......

I don't know about you, but I'd have far stronger words for him than "jerk" while I was on a scaffold with my head in a noose after he had betrayed my country and slaughtered my comrades. Maybe that's just me.
Captain Tenneal

Haha yeah, and I wonder if that wasn't a translation issue. Wouldn't be surprised if they had to soften the language for us.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Ah that's probably true, didn't think of that. Damn censorship! Although the parts that weren't censored or softened were badly translated anyway.
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

I don't really feel that the way you look is a very good judge of character (Not that my opinion really matters, I'm used to weird looks based on how I'm dressed and in a few months im dying all my hair bright blue).
The prince is a badass fighter, he's really strong and has wicked multiple coop attacks and thats all that really matters to a lot of ppl.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I am not sure if somebody has already said this but....um hes a PRINCE, he is royalty, back then they all dressed fancy, hell probably a lot fancier than the prince did. I think he is dressed they way he should be dressed, like a prince who kicks ass. Why would we want him to be dressed like all the other main characters, I didn't question his outfit even once i don't think, just normal prince attire is all.
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I didn't like his later attire, but not because I thought he looked like a 'sissy' (I don't know what that means in this situation...) but I do get why he wore it. Royalty wore crazy things and big hair.

Not every main character has to look like Auron. >_<
Diversity, babies.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Sagiri

Post by Sagiri »

I'm not concerned about "sissyness" per se, im concerned about all the epileptic seizures itll give people.
It's a pinky promise. If I break my promise you break my pinky.