umm.. richard

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Pahn

Post by Pahn »

I think meuller is like richard's father figure. Saving him from his father seems likely, it's not often you see 16-17 year old mercenaries.
humpa

Post by humpa »

I agree with twighlight too. Actually Richard really reminds me of that kid soujiro in samurai x. I wouldn't be surprised if that's who his character was based off.

Mueller killed Richard's abusive father and since then Richard has become super attached to Mueller. Soujiro was living with abusive parents as well and so shishio well encouraged him to kill them. In the end they do whatever their master tells them and are godly at combat. They also both smile alot and act as if they have no emotions except staying calm and are pretty much the same age.
tomriddle

Post by tomriddle »

Sinister Man: You can't even win with the juice pumping in your veins? You're a disgrace to the Brigade! GO HANG YOURSELF! If you need a rope, I've got one.

OHHH ASNAPAPAP!!! o_O Sinister Man btw = Mueller, lol this is during the infirmary seen, I missed it on my first go-thru but dang! Mueller's intense :lol:
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

humpa wrote:I agree with twighlight too. Actually Richard really reminds me of that kid soujiro in samurai x. I wouldn't be surprised if that's who his character was based off.

Mueller killed Richard's abusive father and since then Richard has become super attached to Mueller. Soujiro was living with abusive parents as well and so shishio well encouraged him to kill them. In the end they do whatever their master tells them and are godly at combat. They also both smile alot and act as if they have no emotions except staying calm and are pretty much the same age.
Whoa, you may have something there! I didn't recognize the parrallel because I accidentally saved over my Stormfist siege file without trying to duel with the others.

If he really was based on Soujiro Seta then he gets more bonus points.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Serpent

Post by Serpent »

Gay or not he'll always have a spot in my party! :P
You can close your eyes from reality but not memories.
killey

Post by killey »

Stoafa wrote:Richard and Mueller were written as a father/son relationship. Here is the line about “I know you love me” in the Japanese version:

でも、試合も見に来なかったのに
ボクが倒れたら
飛んで来てくれるんだもの。

ホントは優しい人なんですね?

Direct translation:

But, even though you didn’t come to see the fight,
When I got beat, you ran to see me.

The truth is, you’re a kind person, isn’t it?

Our translation:

You didn't seem too concerned during the
fight, but as soon as I got hurt, you
rushed to my side!

Deep down, I know you love me!

“Love” is used far more commonly in English than in Japanese. For a father/son relationship, I think this translation is fine. Again, Richard and Mueller were not written to be gay. I’ll say it again, just to make it clear. Richard and Mueller were not written to be gay.
I hope that clears things up.
rowsdower

Post by rowsdower »

fashion diva wrote:Honestly, I tought that it was an error and that Muller was actually talk about wil.. wi... the other one.
The reason is that I really don't see Richard being like that. I heard Wi... him saying "banging girls" or something like that severals time, and that totally looks like the word he would use, not Richard.
Mueller calls the character in question a fool though. I can't recall a single time he addressed Wilhelm as a fool....he calls Richard a fool constantly though. IMO, there is no mix-up.

Also, for anyone who did not try, Wilhelm sheds light on Richard's obsession through the comment box. Bring Richard to Stromfist and lose to Childerich. After finishing the events there, check out the comment box.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Sars wrote:It's because Mueller saved Richard's life by killing Richard's abusive father.
How'd you find that out Sars? Oboro's investigations certainly don't reveal anything.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

I would like to know that as well, though I was reading on this forum that it was a japanese publication. I really wish they would be released to us as well :(
Simeon

Post by Simeon »

killey wrote:
Stoafa wrote:Richard and Mueller were written as a father/son relationship. Here is the line about “I know you love me” in the Japanese version:

でも、試合も見に来なかったのに
ボクが倒れたら
飛んで来てくれるんだもの。

ホントは優しい人なんですね?

Direct translation:

But, even though you didn’t come to see the fight,
When I got beat, you ran to see me.

Our translation:

You didn't seem too concerned during the
fight, but as soon as I got hurt, you
rushed to my side!

Deep down, I know you love me!

“Love” is used far more commonly in English than in Japanese. For a father/son relationship, I think this translation is fine. Again, Richard and Mueller were not written to be gay. I’ll say it again, just to make it clear. Richard and Mueller were not written to be gay.
I hope that clears things up.

FInallly someone can drop this lame topic and let it vanish. I knew that it probably was a translation issue.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

While it worked fine in Japanese, this line doesn't quite fit with the rest of Richard's lines in the translation IMO.

I agree that "love" was too strong of a word, but I'd imagine the use of the word "care" would have gotten the right message across.
humpa

Post by humpa »

You people who think richard is gay for mueller, look too much into it O.o.

I bet the creators barely even cared about richard's character and rushed him. That's why his stats are overpowered and all his lines include mueller because they couldnt think of anything else. They gave him one liners every time you talk to him (and if you push x again heill say the same thing, unlike many characters where you can talk to them, then when you talk again they will say something different)

still richard is still my favorite character :D
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

They cared enough about his character to make him one of the statistically best characters in the game. And, considering his instant popularity among the non-plot characters, I have a lot of doubt that he is a nobody to Konami.
tactless

Re: umm.. richard

Post by tactless »

I want to say what I think about all this: he doesn´t has to be gay to like mueller. I mean, haven´t you EVER feel too atracted to somebody just for admiration? to me,it had happened with teachers, tutors and friends. and what if he/she is your same gender? true love don´t depends on something as trivial as that.

edit:what I tried to say is that maybe he admired mueller so much that he ended up with a big crush on him. I just got carried over ^//^;
"Whoa! I can´t wait to learn the art of dozzing off at my feet!" - Nalleo
Archer

Re: umm.. richard

Post by Archer »

I don't think its too hard to believe that Richard has a crush on Mueller, it is kind of how I thought it seemed and lets be honest, there has been an increase in gay characters in video games over the years and its not like Richard is the first questionable character going. This is just one of those topics I guess, the homophobes are gonna say 'OMG NO WAY' the supporters are gonna say 'well, don't you think there could even be the slightest chance given the evidence?' and the rest will say they don't really care. xD Its just more proof that we all see the portrayal of games in our minds differently and until Richard gets married, has kids and says he never thought Mueller was remotely attractive, I see no harm in letting people see what they want to. Its not like Konami would have a character outright confirm homosexuality by saying 'i am gay' or 'I love that same sex character' but in this day and age they don't really need to. The Shadow Hearts series is a great example of that.

Suikoden is a VERY open game and it has countless plot elements and characters that have certain unknown and unresolved issues. Many aspects seem purposely left to the players imagination, I think explaining every little thing takes the fun out of it. Just my point of view.