umm.. richard

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
WuYung

Re: umm.. richard

Post by WuYung »

I'm actually shocked how many Richard fans there are (I thought i was one of the few ^_^;;) Assessing the skills, he is probably the strongest swordsman out of any of the characters (and probably would've won the Sacred Games lol). I do believe his reactions are almost like an overgrown child and just really hasn't matured past that. Possibly because of the abuse by his father, he's almost and injured puppy and still craves the approval of a parent. Mostly his lines of admiration resemble "look at me! Did you see what i did? Look at mee Mueller(daddy)!"

also the thing about Richard dying in Mueller's arms was not in the Japanese version (i've seen the scene in both languages though). I did not remember that line in the english version though lol.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Its very possible that Richard could be gay. It seems to be a recurring theme in the Suikoverse and seems to be at least slightly accepted just not out in the open, really.

AS for Richard's voice being childish and high...thats completely irrelevant. Lol. I'm 19 years of age and my voice is still kind of high. It's not incredibly deep like it should be. Lol.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I LOVE Richard. He's awesome!

Now, about him being gay. . .
I doubt it. He's a kid, kids generally look up to adults . .
Maybe he sees him as a father figure or something I dunno. .

what am I saying!? It's not important, the guy kicks butt!!

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Black knight overlord

Post by Black knight overlord »

Richards still my favorite....but.., it seem kind of odd that he would be really happy and so attacted to Mueller after he killed his father(even if he was so abusive), it seems a little cold to feel so happy at the death of a parent. And why would Mueller kill his father anyway?...was there some hidden rivalry between them....?It seems kinda random for Mueller to just up and kill Richard father. I think theres something im missing..? :| :?:
Mintalia

Re:

Post by Mintalia »

Oppenheimer wrote:
Sars wrote:It's because Mueller saved Richard's life by killing Richard's abusive father.
How'd you find that out Sars? Oboro's investigations certainly don't reveal anything.
I don't know if this has been answered yet, but you only find this out if Richard dies during the game. If he dies, either in a war or in the duel against Childerich, Mueller will reveal why Richard was following him around all the time.
"Your definition of freedom is the ability to walk around in a giant cage with invisible leash around your neck." - Luc
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

then what will he say themn?
Suikoden is not just agame it is a way of life
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

I love Richard, gay or not. He has an awesome personality, and if he were gay, he couldn`t hit something like the man he is. XD
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Tsharr

Post by Tsharr »

I mentioned this before in the Gay characters thread, but I like to type, so I'll do so again.

I think Richard's admiration is less about homosexuality and more about wanting attention. Richard's father was abusive, and after Mueller killed him, Richard took Mueller as a surrogate. The young man, desperate for that fatherly pride as most young men are, first is faced with a brutal abuser, and then an aloof mentor. As a result, his overwhelming admiration and "Jump To" attitude are done more for the purpose of "making daddy proud" than anything remotely sexual.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

^Fact

Nobody thinks he's gay, but it's just fun to say so.
Soul Eater

Post by Soul Eater »

I think he is clearly gay. I also think it's really sad that so many people on here can't handle the thought of one of the strongest fighters being a gay guy. I understand that this is typical of teenage boys, though.

He was probably put in for the female gamers, as so many of them like Yaoi, which is hugely popular in Japan. My girlfriend likes it and she reckons he has the whole pretty boy look of a Yaoi character, which is actually quite rare in Suikoden. Even the supposed 'pretty boy' characters look much more masculine in their facial features and dress sense.

That said, nobody looks as gay as Frey, lol.

Does anyone else think Richard looks a lot like Dolph? To me, both of them seem to stand out against the other characters at early on I got them confused.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Soul Eater wrote:I think he is clearly gay. I also think it's really sad that so many people on here can't handle the thought of one of the strongest fighters being a gay guy. I understand that this is typical of teenage boys, though.
In the end, I don't think Richard's sexual preference really matters. What annoys me is when people base it on his fanboying of Mueller.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Richard never shows any gay tendencies, they just make him a idolize Mueller. if you can't separate the two ideas, then just go on having your wet dreams about him.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

You should only have wet dreams if you don't.... enough to Richard.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Even if he were, like I said before, he's still awesome.
His sexual preferences doesn't change his awesomeness in any way.

But, and I'm going to be honest here--I'm a homosexual, and I not once thought he was gay. He sounds like a child who admires a man like some people admire batman. I mean, if you met batman and were able to work alongside of him, you'd most likely be the same way. . if not moreso.

And yes, I realize I didn't haaaaaaaaave to "come out" to you guys, but who's taking notes?

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

I have two gay brothers,(noincest) and I accept them for who they are. I've never had a problem with gay dudes, as long as the creepy ones don't spike my drink. XD