umm.. richard

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
kenshindono

umm.. richard

Post by kenshindono »

ok, in my policy of using the lamest looking characters on the first playthrough i quickly round out how awesome Richard is. Wow. Anyway, hes very, well, feminine looking, and his voice is that of a childs. He looks really goofy as well, but the thing that struck me the most is his weird affection for Muller. When doing the oboro investigations it keeps coming up that its a secret why richard likes muller so much. Do you ever find out what that reason is? It seems to me hes kinda gay for the guy
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

I don't think it's ever revealed, even if you speak to Mueller and Richard. The fate of the 108 Stars doesn't reveal anything else on the subject, either.

Perhaps we'll see the mercenaries down the road in another Suiko game. It is possible since mercenaries travel everywhere looking for work in wars for the most part.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
Belle

Post by Belle »

Richard's 17, apparently... but by then, I'd assume his voice would've changed. (It's kind of funny you should post this with your name, because Richard's overall personality reminds me of Kenshin from Rurouni Kenshin.) He does have a bizarre fixation with Mueller, and seems to enjoy his "abuse," so it does come off as a bit gay.

In the context of the game, though, I think Richard just fanboys Mueller. It's weird but not uncommon in Suikoden.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

hmm never thought of that, ya i guess he is kinda like Kenshin in his post Hitokiri days isn't he?

ya i dunno it just seemed a little more beyond regular fanboyishness to me, it was kinda creepy
Master

Post by Master »

well you never know what mueller did in the past but he seems to be one guy who cares a lot for his comrades. I tried to go recruit after a war and somehow I did horrible on that war but I won anyway, still when I tried to recruit them and I had the beautiful women in my team, Mueller did say that he didn't want to be associated with a general/commander who let his men get killed...somehow after a victory + I was able to recruit them...go figure.
redeyesblind

Post by redeyesblind »

I doubt he's gay, he DID enter the sacred games after all. Obviously Richard just really looks upto Muller like a hero. I think Richard just idolises Muller and wishes himself to be more like him, that's why when you win a battle Richard says things like, "Muller, did you see that?!" He wants Muller to recognize his strength, after all, Muller is his superior in the merc squad.
Qbwpij

Post by Qbwpij »

In the context of the game, though, I think Richard just fanboys Mueller.
But us fan girls can dream, right? :D
dksu

Post by dksu »

Imagine if Richard won the Sacred Games and foiled the Godwin's plans... What a happy place Falena would be with a crazy kid like Richard up there.
Desides

Post by Desides »

Qbwpij wrote:
But us fan girls can dream, right? :D
Just as long as you don't write disturbing fanfiction about it...
fashion diva

Post by fashion diva »

redeyesblind wrote:I doubt he's gay, he DID enter the sacred games after all. .
And he did because Muller told him to. As a joke.
Now, honestly, not for fangirling and all, but I really do think that Richard has a BIG crush on Muller. And there won't be anything SO strange at all, seriously, in Japan this kind of things are more than common, and you can pretty much says that it belongs to their 'culture' (just think about the past...).
So, really, there isn't anything strange.
I personally don't think that it's more than a big crush, and I don't think Muller has the same feelings, but it's certian that he always feels kinda embrassed by Richard's way of acting. That's proven even in the bath scene when Richard starts to blab about how Muller's important for him and all (then Muller comes and take Richard away).
So, anyway, why do I think that this "mania" isn't just fanboyshism? Because of several things. Frist, if it was normal admiration there's no doubt about the fact that Richard would have certianly talked about it to Oboro. And he doesn't. Oboro says that Richard doesn't say ANYTHING at all about how he meet Muller and what his feelings about him are. Not a word. Now, you should agree with me that you would talk about someone you just ADMIRE, right? You won't, tough, if it's something extremly personal, as Oboro says. Then, if what he felt for Muller was common admiration, he would have wished to be just like him. That would have lead him to make his own unit, eventually. But he doesn't, and he choose to remain with Muller instead.
Lastly, there's a scene you can tiggrer between Richard and Muller if you goes to the infirmary just because going to rescure Belcoot for the frist time in Stormfist, on the sacred games.
You'll see the two talking, and Richard saying something like "You were so calm just before, and then your rushed over here once you knew I was injured. Eheheh, I know that deep down you love me."
Now, I know that in english 'love' is a word used for express affection as well. But it would be odd to say this to someone you ADMIRE. After that the discussion continue, and it ends in something like "I will kill you if you just don't shut up" "fine then, dying by the arms of Muller would be a great honor for me".
This as well doesn't really sound like an "admiration" phrase to me... but on this one, it might be all X/1999's fault.

Now, to end this post, everyone has their point of views, and I respect them. So, please, respect mine as well, and consider all the possible theories, instead of just excluding them because they doesn't sound right to you (I'm not accusing anyone, I just don't want this to happen).
dksu

Post by dksu »

Plus the fact Childerich calls him a "pansy" lol. That might just be because he looks like a girly man ;x.
Qbwpij

Post by Qbwpij »

But us fan girls can dream, right?

Just as long as you don't write disturbing fanfiction about it...
Can I read disturbing fanfiction about it?[/quote]
Belle

Post by Belle »

fashion diva wrote: Lastly, there's a scene you can tiggrer between Richard and Muller if you goes to the infirmary just because going to rescure Belcoot for the frist time in Stormfist, on the sacred games.
You'll see the two talking, and Richard saying something like "You were so calm just before, and then your rushed over here once you knew I was injured. Eheheh, I know that deep down you love me."
Now, I know that in english 'love' is a word used for express affection as well. But it would be odd to say this to someone you ADMIRE. After that the discussion continue, and it ends in something like "I will kill you if you just don't shut up" "fine then, dying by the arms of Muller would be a great honor for me".
This as well doesn't really sound like an "admiration" phrase to me... but on this one, it might be all X/1999's fault.
... Really? ... I must've missed this scene. Based on that, it does sound like a lot more than fanboyism. But then, we don't have exact quotes, so I can't say for sure. There's a lot of subtext in this game overall, so I try to take it lightly until I've got something a little more solid.
True Lightning

Post by True Lightning »

lol, seriously. I think it's just an over-admiration.

When Richard joined the Sacred Games he was drugged by some chick because she gave him cookies. Richard thought the girl was cute and all so he couldn't refuse, hence he was kicked in the ass in the 1st round.

But man his 1st profile in Oboro's file is badass. He's like the "blademaster", bigshot in the mercenary and all, also Belcoot wasn't so sure he could beat Richard if he had fought him un-drugged.

but yea his over admiration is kinda annoying. Now I know why Mueller always treating him like crap.
"Freedom comes at a price, Blood." - random WW II vet.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It's because Mueller saved Richard's life by killing Richard's abusive father.