Jeane and Zerase and Eresh... (Spoilers for V)

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Psi Yamaneko

Post by Psi Yamaneko »

Suikoden vampires can daywalk once they become powerful enough. My deal was that we didn't see her drink anyone's blood for sustenance. Or even hear about it. If the game takes place six years prior to the events of the first game then Neclord should still have the Blue Moon Rune which would mean vampires are still carnivores since they didn't become peaceful again until Sierra got her Rune back. . .

I'm not ruling out Zerase as a vampire, since, given her skin, it is certainly possible but the blood thing is something to consider. Unless they just didn't want to be that in your face about it and instead throw in a character who is mysterious just to watch fans scratch their heads. Konami seems to enjoy doing that.
"And you shall wake, from country sleep, this dawn and each first dawn,
Your faith as deathless as the outcry of the ruled sun.
"
Dylan Thomas
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Psi Yamaneko wrote:My deal was that we didn't see her drink anyone's blood for sustenance. Or even hear about it. If the game takes place six years prior to the events of the first game then Neclord should still have the Blue Moon Rune which would mean vampires are still carnivores since they didn't become peaceful again until Sierra got her Rune back. . .
She's intimate with the Night Rune and has the Star Rune, maybe it offers her protection against the need to feed.
Psi Yamaneko

Post by Psi Yamaneko »

Mmmm. . .Perhaps. The Night Rune DOES allow Vampires to exist, so it IS involved with that race. Of course, right now it's a sword.

And the Star Rune was a child of the Night Rune, right?

I wonder how Blue Moon and Night are connected, it feels like they must be somehow. That's an entirely different discussion, though.

~Psi the Incoherent
"
Dylan Thomas
Crowley's_Apprentice
Banned User

Post by Crowley's_Apprentice »

Heeeeey
back to jeane and eresh
when jeane goes to the ruins the first time and opens the chest or watever she did
do you think she unleashed eresh's spirit? allowing her to find a new vessel to take over?
and in the first vision you have in the sealed room
it shows the sun rune being used from those ruins in the big hole
sooo
the king from before the sindars had the sun rune and lived there...
........ya.......
and...
do you think killey is a sindar left behind? trying to find his fellow sindarins at the eternal city? just wondering
"Giggity Giggity Giggity!!!"--Glen Quagmire
"Victory is mine!"--Stewie Griffin
"Oh that's just nastee..."--Cleveland
"...evil monkey living in my closet..."--Chris Griffin
Kirin

Post by Kirin »

Yes, it's widely accepted that the ruins in the Big Hole are from the Old Armes Kingdom, which did have the Sun Rune until it went out of control and destroyed the whole country.

As for Killey, we know he belongs to the "Crimson Pilgrims" clan. It seems clear that they have *some* relationship to the Sindar, but we really have no idea what. There's no particularly compelling evidence that they *are* the Sindar. But we really won't know until they're expanded on in some later installment.

And for Jeane getting her item from the ruins... my personal interpretation was that her removing the item undid a seal that had been placed on the monster you can fight at the bottom. Eresh, another ancient being, somehow had responsibility for keeping the monster in check, so with the seal gone she had to show up and do something about it. But that's just my take; I suppose it's possible that Eresh was sealed as well.
Psi Yamaneko

Post by Psi Yamaneko »

I thought maybe she DID release Eresh, myself.

You do need to have Jeane recruited to get her even if you don't ever read that letter. (I didn't)
"
Dylan Thomas
Chimaera

Post by Chimaera »

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeane and Eresh were Sindar themselves, that might explain some things, but for every one question answered you get 3 more :)
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

Hi! :D I'm new here so please forgive me for mistakes,but I believe that Jeane is an incarnation of the Rune of Change. Reasons why: She makes a almost continuous climb from the Southlands, the Sindar disappeared from history somewhere deep in the South, She changes her apperance ever so slightly, although this may be because of differances in the artists, and finally she has connections to mysterious characters and one last point she changes her location spastically. It very late so this is all I can come up with. :?
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
modi

Post by modi »

this maybe true and agree with it after all the sindar settled in a place somewhere after many years of wandering and i don't think they could do that with the rune of change with them ,but if she was an incarnation of a true rune charecters like livy would recognize that and i don't think that a dog (koroku) would recognize true runes ,an dmore than that i guess she is too peacefull for what we know about how the true runes have a lot of ambition to control
charsiubao

re: Eresh

Post by charsiubao »

Just a quick clarification regarding Eresh:

Eresh is most definitely inspired by Ereshkigal, the Babylonian goddess of the underworld. If memory serves, her weapon sharpens to "Ner-gal", the name of a Babylonian sun/plague god banished to Ereshkigal's kingdom. Not really any connections beyond that, but maybe that clears up the vessel fiasco a bit- she's a Babylonian goddess! In the body of a twelve-year old girl/forty-year old Nagarean priest! Of course! Your mileage may vary.

Suikoden V seems to draw alot from Levantine/Mesopotamian myth. (Which is to say, I mispronounced Arshtat as Astarte for the first half of the game. And Astarte (Ishtar) is Ereshkigal's sister. Now THERE'S a whacked conspiracy theory.)

So now you know! And knowing is half the battle.
Magnumkiller

Post by Magnumkiller »

Too many replies so I will just give my two cents and start from here...
ShardStar wrote:I don't think we can assume what the Star Rune does, the implication is that it comes from the Night Rune but even that's an assumption. Also it's not a matter of her mentioning it or not but that fact that Oboro and other's have never seen her sleep. Sleeping isn't a sign of weakness when everyone at HQ needs to sleep at some point and time.
Unless I was imagining things, I remember Zerase mentioning that the Star Rune was infact similar to the Dawn and Twilight runes and that it had been created by the Night rune for a similar purpose.

Also, I semm to remember Zerase mumbling something about how Leknaat found her or something of the sort.

About Eresh and Jeane, taking in mind the whole Crowley and Mazus being reborn after killing each other and yet keeping their abilities, a possible theory is that both Eresh and Jeane are able to do this, if this was known by Nagarea or whoever it is Eresh's clothing is from, then they might know her power and just make clothing her size.

And, some said Konami has claimed Jeanne does not have a true rune (Crowley and Mazus don't either) but in a bath scene, MAYBE from Suikode 3, can't remember which, one of the girls asks if a mark she has is from a true rune, and all Jeanne says is something around the lines of 'Maybe'. This COULD support the Jeanne being a true rune theory.

Or maybe Jeanne is an elf and she simply sliced off her ears? Its a viable theory...
chicka3759

Post by chicka3759 »

i think that zerase is a ghost of somesort in a bath scene she didnt flush at all in the hot water...only thing we do kno is that she has a connection with leknaart and has a star rune which does so much damage :o
*Maria*
Chernigov

Post by Chernigov »

Magnumkiller wrote: And, some said Konami has claimed Jeanne does not have a true rune (Crowley and Mazus don't either) but in a bath scene, MAYBE from Suikode 3, can't remember which, one of the girls asks if a mark she has is from a true rune, and all Jeanne says is something around the lines of 'Maybe'. This COULD support the Jeanne being a true rune theory.

Or maybe Jeanne is an elf and she simply sliced off her ears? Its a viable theory...
The bath scene you are speaking of is Lilly and Jeane, and it is as follows:

Lily : "I'm not one to beat around the bush, so I'll get straight to the point. Did you serve in the Dunan Army during the Unification War?"

Jeane: "Me in the Dunan Army... Hee hee! Well... kind of, but kind of not."

Lily : "Well, which is it?"

Jeane: "Yes, which one... Well, let's say that yes, I did..."

Lily : "Do you know Tinto's historian. Marlowe Cody? He also serves in the army. Recently, he came by the castle and apparently saw you"

Jeane: "Without offering so much as a greeting or a handshake..."

Lily : "You... You haven't changed much in the past 15 years...Perhaps... you have the true rune on you..."

Jeane: "Hee hee..."

Lily : "Oh that body...somewhere..."

Jeane: "Hee hee..."

Lily : "The true rune..."

Jeane: "Hee hee! Would it help you find id if I stepped out of the bath?"

Lily : "It's nowhere!"

Jeane: "Hee hee hee..."
It must be so great, to have the bits that stick out and the bits that stay in be so clearly revealed!
Magnumkiller

Post by Magnumkiller »

I never claimed Jeane wasn't nuts :P.

I do hope Zerase becomes a recurring character, atleast in one or two more games, to try to delve into her background.
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

I have a new Jeane Theory! Okay the Jeane family thing. At first I sort of threw the family thing out because the Jeanes, aside from their looks, all have the same personalities. Then I found out that it could not possibly come from a True Rune. Finally I saw the Suikoden 3 bath scene for myself. The way she speaks sort of proved to me that she is not the same Jeane that was in the previous game. Then I thought about it, how can she be in all of the games without the aid of a True Rune? I took Konami's vague explanation and my own reason for not believing it and combined them to come up with reincarnation! To me, this explains why she speaks the way she does in the bath scene, and Konami's family thing. Furthermore, I believe that the Charm Rune she has is just a travel precaution. It simply diverts the attack of enemies from her and to another enemy.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.