Gay Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

The only thing I was curious about, is how is there children there, if there are no men?
I believe they have some sort of ritual. I haven't played the game so I don't really know anything about the Alma Kinan, but this is what I've read elsewhere.
ShardStar

Re: Gay Characters

Post by ShardStar »

Black Knight Yuber wrote:Players can assume they're a characters gay even though they act it they're really not. I'll take that Judas Priest comment I believe you were looking for Rob Halford. George Michael former lead singer of Wham nobody knew it, go look at the video (Wake Me Up) that made people wonder this dude might be gay.

Is there any game out there that has a confirmed gay character¿
Yes there is, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father and The Beast Within, had gay characters. Plus Kotor with that Cat lady.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

LoL. Suikoden has a HUGE Yaoi and Yuri following. The doujinshi for this is MASSIVE.

I (as I'm sure have most of you) have seen a mass intollerence through a lot of fans dealing with people liking particular characters, often a favorite, in a homosexual relationship. This may have something to do with keeping things on the hush-hush. Though, the most widely accepted gay pairing that is played with seems to be Riou and Jowy, surprisingly enough, and these people still like them despite it.

The most popular pairings to date, I believe are...

Viktor/Flik, Jowy/Riou, Humphry/Futch, Luca/Jowy (i believe this one stems from that ONE picture in the gaiden games where Luca holds Jowy's chin snidely >.<), Sid/Chaco, Jeane/Raura, Tir/Gremio, Teo/Gremio (does anybody else see this as "banging the babysitter" and, sexual orientation aside, just wrong for that reason?), Lazlo/Snowe, Ted/Aldo, Sigurd/Hervy, and Luc/Sassarai....to name a FEW.

I have an assumption some fangirls just put all the male characters into a bag and pull two names out of it for their fanfiction >.<

P.S. Don't flame me for any of these you have an issue with. This is just my observation. I'm not saying I'm for or against anything here.
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

I disagree with the "straight till proven gay" theory posed in this thread, requiring developers to admit a character is gay before it is accepted. While in some games this makes sense as the characters are simple to start with, it doesn't fit into Suikoden just as it doesn't fit into real life.

Suikoden is a convincing and expansive world, a place where everyone has their secrets and lies. While there haven't been any characters to openly admit they're gay that doesn't mean characters are not gay.

In real life its recently become a lot more acceptable socially to admit one is gay, most people don't react to someone any differently now, however we cannot assume this of Suikoden. As far as we've been told Suikoden is like our medieval world in terms of tolerance, that admitting one is gay would be a death wish.

I think there are some characters that were certainly designed gay, in the varying and expansive world of Suikoden it would be silly to assume otherwise, especially with Japanese culture being one of the most accepting of this lifestyle choice. How many people assumed Ellen Degeneres or George Michael were gay before they admitted it publicly? Suikoden characters have no motivation to come forward with such information, the only way one could possibly find out is by investigating them ( i.e. Richmond ), but even that might not assume sexual preference to be important enough to report.

On a side note while we are speculating which characters are gay - I often wondered if there was more to Hoi than imitating Riou. Sure being Riou was a good plug for money early on, however once he was 'recruited' surely a petty theif like Hoi would have run away and tried his scam somewhere else... This is the kind of thing that Yaoi is started from, slight hints at inferred relationships blown into full fledged stories. People obviously prefer pretty people to obsess about in this way, so maybe that's why there's no Hoi/Riou stories :P
Belle

Post by Belle »

The possibility that folks in the Suikoden world could be gay doesn't really bother me in the least. It's the following mentality:

Observation: Character A shows an interest in Character B.

Conclusion: Based on this and only this, without measuring the degree or angle of Character A's interest, this means a) Character A wants to jump Character B's bones! and b) Character A's sexuality is revealed!

I'm not saying that's never the case, but it is possible to have a completely platonic interest in someone else. Regardless of what the genders are.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Stallion wrote: On a side note while we are speculating which characters are gay - I often wondered if there was more to Hoi than imitating Riou. Sure being Riou was a good plug for money early on, however once he was 'recruited' surely a petty theif like Hoi would have run away and tried his scam somewhere else... This is the kind of thing that Yaoi is started from, slight hints at inferred relationships blown into full fledged stories. People obviously prefer pretty people to obsess about in this way, so maybe that's why there's no Hoi/Riou stories :P
Please no ideas are needed. After the Viktor and Flik, Luc and Sasarai, Albert and just about anyone, Luc, Sasuke and Futch, Shu and Riou etc etc etc don't need to offer any more suggestions. The pretty boy syndrom.

But of course Hoi is pretty much disliked enough to keep him out of fangirl reach. Looks is only part of it in his case.
NChisholm

Post by NChisholm »

I believe I read in a thread a couple of years ago that Narcissists were based on rennecaince noblemen and such.... they were mostly not gay...even in this day and age there are hetro people who could be considered gay by their actions and dress...if the observer makes judgements based on shallow things as that... thus the term Metrosexual

As for characters like Gremio...I consider Gremio like Samwise Gamgee a truly loyal freind to the end... Not all devoted freindships between the same sex point to homosexuality.....

Finnaly there very well may be homosexuals in the suikoden series... for the basic fact that a portion of any population is gay... and that soldiers manytimes exibit some characteristics as such.. i/e the roman empire
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Right but such relationships are seldom relevant to history as is the case with Suikoden. All things considered, there are few actual relationships of any kind in the series. True romances are fairly occasions considering the size of the armies in each game. Simply the focus is on battles and politics rather than save a precious girlfriend.
Kasumi

Post by Kasumi »

Well, when I see how Riou and Tir refuses wonderful girls such as Kasumi and Eilie, I wonder if they are not gay :P I'm just joking, I think that in fact the game focuses mainly on political plots and not on sentimental life.
Well, in the end I should have dated Tir before the end of the war...
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

i too disagree with the chacter being straight untill proven gay.

i think that iys not that relevaent to the plot of the games and sexuallity is therefore left out, exept for events like rinas adult conversation with the guard.

although personally i do think Aldo was gay and fell for Ted, and ted seeing this let Aldo close to him, wherether it was a mutual love or just ted finnally allowing someone close to him after so long, i dont know.

The fact that Aldo is most probably killed by the soul eater only adds to the torment of ted and gives us empathy and an understanding of why he wanted to dissapear in the first place.
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Yea as proven from the series, True Runes and Marriage don't mix. You can only choose ONE in the long run. Long enough to have children i guess, but after that it's downhill from there.

Although I can totally see Hugo and Lilly hooking up for a while.
Strategy is the key to victory!
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

Sierra and rean(sp) had a very long relationship, but then again vampires do tend to break alll of the rules.

prehaps the key for humans is for both partners to have a true rune.
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

*cough* hugo and chris *cough*

*clears throat* sorry about that, damn allergies
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Hey hey, we're off topic here people. Hugo and Chris aren't potential gay characters. Don't sidetrack this into a potential romance discussion.
Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel »

I believe that some of these characters may be homosexuals. I mean, maybe developers don't come right out and say it. Maybe it's just taboo, and all they can really give is subtle hints, in hopes that it will form discussions. I see no problem with it, I think it add's to the realism. Homosexuality was far from taboo ages ago. In the times of Alexander the great, Julius Ceasar. We're talking about some brilliant heroes in times of war. And these games are about brilliant heroes in times of war. So if they were to officialy come out and name gay characters, I probably wouldn't be shocked that they were gay, but shocked that the company took the bold step to come out and say so.