Gay Characters

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

I'm not poking fun or trying to arouse angry but is the term
"Potentially gay” hysterically funny to anyone else? I mean, some would argue that we all have that potential. Seriously, I can sit on the train back from work today and point at everyone on it and say “That person is potentially gay.” Yes, it was a related tagent, I'm sorry.

All in all I am sorry, this thread has been really mature and well handled in its life, this was just too funny for me to let go.
Ezekiel

Post by Ezekiel »

True, Waylander, but with what evidence/reasoning? Thats what makes all the difference. You can assume anything of anyone, I could assume that Jowy is gay. But what reasoning/evidence what I have?
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Ezekiel, and everyone else who might not have thought it was funny, calm down. I don't need evidence/reasoning because I wasn't being serious.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

Ezekiel wrote:True, Waylander, but with what evidence/reasoning? Thats what makes all the difference. You can assume anything of anyone, I could assume that Jowy is gay. But what reasoning/evidence what I have?
LoL. Most assume Jowy is gay. That has to do with the strong, lingering affections or his best friend and the "everything I did, I did for YOU" attitude :P Which is debateable and arguable, I'll admit. As much so as Aldo and Ted. heh.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

I just have one simple question: Why can't one man care for another man without being considered as potentially gay?? I'm just curious about that. I don't understand why another man or woman can't care for another man or woman and be willing to sacrifice their all for that person without being labelled as potentially gay. I love my best friend as a brother. We are no where near related, but I would do whatever was in my power to help or protect him if he was in need. Does that make me potentially gay?? Just a few questions I was pondering while reading through this.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

You know the phrase "lost in the translation" applies here. I've always felt the relationships were of a blood-brother/brothers-in-arms kind of thing.

As for Jowy and Riou--Here were two boys who were alone--until they found a friendship with each other. Then there's Nanami. She always seemed to be more of a Mother-figure than a sister.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

We are comparing the "potential gayness" of characters such as Riou, Jowy, Ted and Aldo. I was just making the point that they could just have strong feelings for each other in a sense of brotherhood. You don't have to come out and say it for it to be true.

Should I have to say I care about my best friend for it to be true? It is the same that I shouldn't have to say I love my family for it to be true. The point is that those characters can care for each other in ways that have nothing remotely to do with sexual feelings at all and it shouldn't have to be expressly stated. So, I'm curious why people automatically jump to that conclusion.
sybillious

Post by sybillious »

good point; there are different forms of love, not just romantic and platonic/family related.

i love my friends as if they were blood, but for some reason, you see that as abnormal? sounds like rigid thinking...
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

It's the same conclusion people make when they see anybody acting that way. Keep in mind, a lot of people strongly believe in Nanami and Jowy because of their close relationship. It goes both ways. Nobody here is saying that they would bet a body part that these characters are gay or straight. It usually lies with a personal preferance. For example, If you're an slash fan, you probably are going to be rooting for Jowy/Riou, if you're a het fan, Jowy/Nanami, or if you're a realist Nobody/Nobody, because like it was said, relationships in the Suikoden world are usually the farthest thing from anybody's mind, save the handful of cases in each game.

I believe confusion falls in the way these things are presented to us. There seems to be a way the Japanese express a close relationship that most people (*coughAmericanscough*) seem to judge as being "too close" and that's what spills over into the slash fandoms. I'll agree, most of these pairings are likely to be just friends and that's all that was ever intended. However, it doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy an occasional doujin or daydream :D
Artificity

Post by Artificity »

You know you've fallen off the deep end when you sign up on a forum just because you saw your favorite slash pairing mentioned in passing. But, yeah, since it still is on topic and open for speculation...

Something has to be going on between Sid and Chaco. Obviously, this isn't in any way consensual and I doubt that anyone (Other than those who just read too much into these things) would actually think that this was even planned. We know Sid's creepy but that doesn't seem like a valid enough reason to force Chaco to act completely out of character. I don't buy the "Spooky Stories" excuse one bit.

I'd also like to blame faulty translation for Sid treating Chaco as his "Toy", but I can't. I read too much into these things. Konami's leading me and my slash blood into some very, very murky water.
aydas_arrow

Post by aydas_arrow »

erm are you saying sid raped chaco??

i always though chaco didnt like sid because he was the town ruffian.

anyway i doubt we are ever going to agree on the gay topic, because untill konami comes out and offically 'outs' a character this is all based on personal opinions.

sexuality doesnt realy matter to me either way, and besides what about bisexuality, aldo could have a thing for ted and erm flare for example.
break that tree and i'll break your legs!

No one harms the forest and gets away with it!!
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

I couldn't give a plugged nickel about a person's sexual preference--as long as they are a good fighter, and have the ability to use Magic Well.

That's all that counts.
Jamuswin
Location: The random, chaotic land that is my own frigging mind!

Post by Jamuswin »

Ok first off. Milich Oppenheimer is almost definitely gay. Except he's got that musician chick following him around. But that could just be another
Liberach'e (Li-ber-ochi. Lol. I can’t spell.) case. I mean have you heard the music that comes on when you talk to him? Its like you entered into some French botanical garden.

But Gremio is NOT gay. He may be gentle, and a little devoted to his young master. But there is just a feel about him. He's got a giant scar on his face for one thing. No one who's gay has a giant scar on there face. Its almost a rule of character design. And he uses an axe, or hatchet if you never upgrade. If he were gay he'd be using something a little less...well manly. Like a rapier, or something of that caliber.
I'd like to say something witty. And I usually do. But I don't have anything this time. Don't like it? Well to friggin bad.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The musician 'chick' in Oppenheimer's mansion was a guy though. His name was Kasios.
Belle

Post by Belle »

Jamuswin wrote:Ok first off. Milich Oppenheimer is almost definitely gay. Except he's got that musician chick following him around. But that could just be another
Liberach'e (Li-ber-ochi. Lol. I can’t spell.) case. I mean have you heard the music that comes on when you talk to him? Its like you entered into some French botanical garden.

But Gremio is NOT gay. He may be gentle, and a little devoted to his young master. But there is just a feel about him. He's got a giant scar on his face for one thing. No one who's gay has a giant scar on there face. Its almost a rule of character design. And he uses an axe, or hatchet if you never upgrade. If he were gay he'd be using something a little less...well manly. Like a rapier, or something of that caliber.
Since when is manliness inversely proportional to homosexuality? That's getting into stereotypes. There are men who are secure enough in their masculinity and heterosexuality to be doing things considered not so manly. And the opposite is probably true. Not every gay man you see will be a feather boa-wearing, penne pesto cooking, die-hard fan of Cher.

As for Gremio, I never really thought he was gay, just a bit of a mommy. He could be gay, but I don't think he'd bear those feelings toward someone he thinks of as a son. As for his scar and weapon... those sound like bad assumptions to me.