Do you consider Rowd a villain or not?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Do you consider Rowd a villain or not?

Post by Sasarai10 »

Personally not...since he had good intentions (to heal his blind sister),although all the things he did made him a villain.

After all if you remember when he was about to execute Riou and Jowy,he was asking for forgiveness since possibly he didn't want to execute them at all,but if he did he'd be promoted.

He's one of the most underrated characters in the game,since he vanished suddenly after some point. It would be nice to see what happened to him after the battle against Kiba.
sticky-runes

Re: Do you consider Rowd a villain or not?

Post by sticky-runes »

If the story about Rowd trying to cure his sister are genuine, then how do you think the girl would feel if she found out that her brother paid for her treatment by sacrificing a whole army of boys? Young men who looked up to Rowd as their superior officer. Soldiers are supposed to trust each other like brothers. So Rowd's sister gets her eyesight fixed at the expense of many young boys - sons of his fellow countrymen - who will never have a chance to grow up into men and live their dreams and raise their own families. I think Rowd's sister would be ashamed of him.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Rowd is an ass who sacrifices not only the life of two kids that has been put under his responsibility but also the WHOLE brigade of youngsters he was supposed to mentor, and the life of the army of his entire country and the life of every citizen of another nation.

His sister is not in a lethal danger, it sucks being blind but she can live with it, unlike all the kids of the Unicorn Brigade who lost much more than their eyes. THere are countless other ways he could have find to cure his blind sister that doesn't involve killing dozens of youngsters and triggering an entire war.
wataru14
Guide Writer

Post by wataru14 »

I don't fault him so much for the Unicorn Brigade Massacre on face value. If Luca Blight comes to you and says, "I want to slaughter your unit. But you get to live. I trust there are no objections?" I can't think of a single person who would honestly say, "No, Prince Luca! That is too fiendish to consider! I want no part of it!" I cut him slack for the whole Under-Duress-From-A-Psychopath thing.

That being said, his attitude after it is why I think he's a douche. He doesn't seem to show any real regret.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Whatever the reasons are, what Rowd did was wrong. So he is a designated villain.
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Everyone has reasons for doing the things they do, almost no one walks around thinking they're the bad guy. But unless you believe that the end justifies the means in all situations whatever reasons you have don't change the actions you take.

And Rowd doesn't appear to be the least bit conflicted about anything he does, as Riou says he's simply a jerk. He doesn't care who he has to hurt/kill to reach his goal, he even seems to revel in the betrayal of his allies. The only concern he shows is for himself, and that makes him a villain. Though largely an incompetent one.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

Remember how he refers to the Unicorn Brigade? I remember at some point he says something disparaging about the youths he is supposed to mentor. Something like "I don't want to be the head of a bunch of kids forever". That, my friends, is an asshole.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Look at how other characters have regarded their subordinates - One of General Teo's last requests is that his two most loyal followers join his son so that they don't end up on the same destructive path he was on. Commander Glen sacrifices his own life to save all of his knights, and he taught his subordinates that the captain is always last to abandon ship. Even Griffith asks us to spare his men, accepting his own fate if you choose to behead him. And Admiral Raja bursts into tears when Barham Luger dies, saying that dying before your tutor is the worst sin a student can commit. Then we have Rowd, who has been in a position of respect and authority, training boys into warriors, and he allows them to be wiped out.

And as others have said, the worst thing is that he shows no remorse. They could have written Rowd to redeem himself by feeling such great regret for his actions that he attacks Luca himself and dies in the attempt, but nope. Rowd just carries on feeling resentment towards Jowy (one of his only surviving subordinates) for rising up through the ranks faster than him. And he just disappears halfway through the game. We don't even get a chance to make Rowd face up to his crimes. :x
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

As for Rowd's concern for his sister, it would have been interesting if there was a scene where Jowy had told him he'd execute either Rowd or Rowd's sister and Rowd had to make the choice of which one, I truly think Rowd is such a self-centered douche that any concern he had for her would go out the window. Like, not even think about it.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Look at how other characters have regarded their subordinates - One of General Teo's last requests is that his two most loyal followers join his son so that they don't end up on the same destructive path he was on. Commander Glen sacrifices his own life to save all of his knights, and he taught his subordinates that the captain is always last to abandon ship. Even Griffith asks us to spare his men, accepting his own fate if you choose to behead him. And Admiral Raja bursts into tears when Barham Luger dies, saying that dying before your tutor is the worst sin a student can commit. Then we have Rowd, who has been in a position of respect and authority, training boys into warriors, and he allows them to be wiped out.

And as others have said, the worst thing is that he shows no remorse. They could have written Rowd to redeem himself by feeling such great regret for his actions that he attacks Luca himself and dies in the attempt, but nope. Rowd just carries on feeling resentment towards Jowy (one of his only surviving subordinates) for rising up through the ranks faster than him. And he just disappears halfway through the game. We don't even get a chance to make Rowd face up to his crimes. :x

It would be nice to drop some other character from SoD list (Marlowe basically. He does NOTHING at all),and have Rowd in his place. Maybe you could capture him after some major battle and then have the option to execute him or recruit him. I have no idea what Rowd would do if he actually got captured. Would he request to be executed (like Kiba and his son) or beg you to spare his life?

Surprisingly enough most enemy generals request to be executed if they get captured from what i've noticed. Only Milich begged to join your army.
Raww Le Klueze wrote:As for Rowd's concern for his sister, it would have been interesting if there was a scene where Jowy had told him he'd execute either Rowd or Rowd's sister and Rowd had to make the choice of which one, I truly think Rowd is such a self-centered douche that any concern he had for her would go out the window. Like, not even think about it.
I don't think Jowy is this kind of man. Why he would think executing his sister without a reason?
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Marlowe does help Koyu fight against the zombies and rescue Lo Wen and Lillie if you choose to run away during the Tinto arc.

And Marlowe is not a scumbag who betrays people that trust him.

And its not surprising if a general requests execution. A general's duty is to fight for his homeland and his lord, and if he fails, then he doesn't want to live with the disgrace of failing at his duty. Milich wants desperately to help the Emperor realize that he's being tricked by his love for an evil sorceress, but I believe he does accept his fate if you choose to execute him.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

sticky-runes wrote:Marlowe does help Koyu fight against the zombies and rescue Lo Wen and Lillie if you choose to run away during the Tinto arc.

And Marlowe is not a scumbag who betrays people that trust him.

And its not surprising if a general requests execution. A general's duty is to fight for his homeland and his lord, and if he fails, then he doesn't want to live with the disgrace of failing at his duty. Milich wants desperately to help the Emperor realize that he's being tricked by his love for an evil sorceress, but I believe he does accept his fate if you choose to execute him.
I mean Marlowe doesn't do anything gameplay-wise.

He doesn't take part in regular battles nor in major battles. And he doesn't offer any service in your castle as well.

Basically him and Fitcher. They don't do anything at all unfortunately.

Actually Milich says something like "such short life like a flower". Don't remember exactly?

Anyway what do you believe Rowd would do? Would he bow down to Riou or accept execution gracefully? If i had to guess i think he'd accept to join his army just in order to see him die maybe (like Sonya)? He didn't like Riou from the start as it seems.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Riou would not offer Rowd the chance to join. Rowd was the Kraze of Suikoden 2 - the choice would be either execute him or tell him to bugger off.
Would you want to recruit a man into your army after he betrayed his own company, spread the rumor that you were a spy, and had you beaten and tried to execute your sister?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Well...in front of characters such Lyon and Gremio,he's a million times better. If Gremio was in S2 and i was Riou i'd simply say:

"Mr. Rowd please execute this pathetic servant of mine instead,and join our army." :lol:
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

So a character who sentences you to death twice is preferable to characters who literally give their lives for you? I'm glad I'm not your friend :|