Ronnie Bell

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Ronnie Bell

Post by Wolkendrache »

She's born in 439 and it is said that she's one of the original members of the Liberation Army, which was formed in 453, so she was age 14. I guess she's either an orphan or a run-away and took into care by Mose. I'm wondering why she has/uses a family name. In the Suikoden world, this only (or mostly) applies for people from prominent families. There should be some backstory to this very young and giant lady who's bearing a powerful unique rune. Does anybody have more background information or other theories?
"Within the four seas, all men are brothers" Shuihu Zhuan
Vextor
Global Admin

Re: Ronnie Bell

Post by Vextor »

In the case of Ronnie Bell, Bell is apparently not a last name. This is even specifically mentioned in the Genso Suikoden Encyclopedia published by Konami back in 2001. Her name is one of the cases where "parents may have added another word to the end out of affection" (rough translation from the Japanese text).

I also found the following study at some site--
Several popular medieval names just happened, arbitrarily, to end in the letters ‘b-e-l’ . They were Isabel, Amabel, and Sibella (Sibyl). Also coincidentally, “belle” happened to be the French word for “beautiful.”

Thereafter, “bel,” “belle,” or “bella” became a popular ending for girls names, and many names were coined based on this.

Some “bel” names include:

Sibella
Isabel, Isabelle, Isabella
Belle, Bella
Amabel
Arabella (a form of Amabel)
Mabel (a form of Amabel)
-and-
Annabelle (originally a form of Amabel, but later used as Anna plus Belle)
Barabel (Barbara plus Belle)
Claribel (“Clara plus Belle)
Mariabella (Maria plus Bella)
Maribel (Maria plus Isabel, or Belle)
-and-
Bonniebelle (“lively” plus Belle)
Christabel (“Christian” plus Belle)
Dowsabel (“sweet” plus Belle)
Dulcibel (“sweet” plus Belle)
Mirabelle (“admired” plus Belle)
Rosabel (“rose” plus Belle)
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

and Long Chan Chan has 3 names...so what? :P
BrucePrintscreen

Post by BrucePrintscreen »

I thought she was named Bell after bells, you know, big heavy bronze stuff that makes a lot of noise? Seemed an appropriate nickname.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Is it Bruce Springsteen or Bruce Printscreen?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

So it is Ronniebelle instead of two names?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It's two names.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
sticky-runes

Post by sticky-runes »

Ronnie Bellend.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

Thanks for clearing up that Bell is an additional given name. I was confused because 1. Bell is a common surname and 2. Bell is not added as suffix, but instead as separate name.
I guess there would have been much speculation if, likewise, it was Ana Bell and Isa Bell.

Another question: Is the Genso Suikoden Encyclopedia also the source for the information that Mose married Ronie Bell and is thus the father of Emily? Or is it mentioned in Suikoden 3 (I haven't played)? I'm not judging the age difference (18 years) between the two, I just want to point out that this seems to be unique in the Suikoden world so far.
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Emily doesn't mention much of anything in 3, and there really aren't enough returning characters who would have cared enough about her parentage to share stories. I think the closest you get to anyone mentioning it is one of the investigations done on her:

"Her parents participated in the liberation war 18 years ago. Her father was a blacksmith."
suiken

Post by suiken »

Wolkendrache wrote:She's born in 439 and it is said that she's one of the original members of the Liberation Army, which was formed in 453, so she was age 14. I guess she's either an orphan or a run-away and took into care by Mose. I'm wondering why she has/uses a family name. In the Suikoden world, this only (or mostly) applies for people from prominent families. There should be some backstory to this very young and giant lady who's bearing a powerful unique rune. Does anybody have more background information or other theories?

I thought she was in her 20's. So she was still a kid.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

suiken wrote:

I thought she was in her 20's. So she was still a kid.

I'd pass her as 30 or so,during S1 events.

But she was only 19.

Generally most characters in S1 were looking older than their age. Look at Mose for example. He looks like 50,but he was only 37 then.
Wolkendrache
Forum Moderator

Post by Wolkendrache »

The character who confuses me most is Mina the dancer. She’s born in 444, and was recruited in about 456, maybe 457 at the latest (age 12/13). She's a fighter on top of that . After the events of S1, Karen became her student, so a 14-year-old trained another 14-year-old (Karen is born in 444 too). At least Karen was already 16 when she made the men in Kuskus horny.
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Wolkendrache wrote:The character who confuses me most is Mina the dancer. She’s born in 444, and was recruited in about 456, maybe 457 at the latest (age 12/13). She's a fighter on top of that . After the events of S1, Karen became her student, so a 14-year-old trained another 14-year-old (Karen is born in 444 too). At least Karen was already 16 when she made the men in Kuskus horny.

So the guys in Antei were pedophiles? :lol:
Pyriel
Webmaster

Post by Pyriel »

Well, to be fair that stuff shifts around quite a bit. My own great-great grandfather married a 14-year-old when he was 16 and then died in his early twenties, leaving behind 14 children.