best father figure?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
eldrasidar

best father figure?

Post by eldrasidar »

Happy father's day! In honor of awesome dads everywhere, I thought I would start a post to see what people's thoughts were on some of the fatherly figures in suikoden. Who do you think makes the best dad? This doesn't have to be restricted to characters that are biological fathers either. For example Geddoe could be considered a father figure to Aila.
Last edited by eldrasidar on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Re: best father figure?

Post by suiko2fan2 »

I sort of did a whole thread similar to this topic a few years ago exclusively for the main heroes a least.

http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =20&t=9755
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I don't know if I have a specific vote for best dad, but some interactions do stand out for me. One is Lino and Flare, and how he was able to let her be herself even though she put herself in danger. He brought her up right and knew he could trust her to handle herself. I also like what was said to Helmut near the end of the game. Not going into detail with that as someone here is playing IV for the first time and I don't know how much he's aware of certain character relationships. Teo's good points have probably been discussed at length, so I'll just say that I like and respect his character. I also really like Boz and Kiba.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I think there's a lot of interesting father figures worth discussing, here's a few to perhaps spark some people's minds:

Suikoden 5 has Ferid as perhaps the most obvious, but Georg Prime is something of a foster father after his death. Oboro is father figure to Saigure and Sagiri. Volga is a father to many orphans, including Kyle Logg is interesting father for Lun. Skald Egan is an amusing father as well.

Suikoden 4 has Lino of course, although Commander Glen is also a foster father of sorts.

Suikoden 3 has Jimba who's Chris' absent father. Sgt. Joe has a family and is a father for Hugo in the absence of his father. Billy is another absent father for Melville. Futch, Nicholas, and Geddoe I think all represent fatherly figures for Sharon, Duke, and Aila.

Suikoden 2 starts with Genkaku as a father for Riou, until he's killed, but I think Victor basically becomes his adopted father during the game. Other fathers in the game are Gilbert, Freed, Tsai, Ridley, and Gustav. one might also consider Humphrey a father figure for Futch in this game.

Suikoden 1 obviously has Teo, but there's also Lepant.
Belle

Post by Belle »

eldrasidar wrote: Suikoden 2 starts with Genkaku as a father for Riou, until he's killed
When did that happen?
Sasarai10
Forum Moderator

Post by Sasarai10 »

Zweig from S5. He is like a father figure to Lorelai,and it would be nice if they were real dad and daughter. It would be cool.
Punkaiser

Post by Punkaiser »

S1: i think Gremio appears as a great father to Tir (although eh shows it in a motherly way lol), Teo is stiff and just a typical high rank officer who always concentrate in work and has no time to show off his love.

S2: there are quite alot of great fathers i can think of as genkaku, pilika's bio dad, jowy as pilika's foster father...

S3: can't think of anyone who is good enough but the worst must be Billy.

S4: Lino, allright. Dario is a good father to Naleo too

S5: Ferid is excellent, he's in the top position a man could reach but always try to remove formality among friends and families so they could stay true and intimate to each others unlike Teo.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Belle wrote:
eldrasidar wrote: Suikoden 2 starts with Genkaku as a father for Riou, until he's killed
When did that happen?
He's certainly dead (by natural causes) by the time the game starts.
Belle

Post by Belle »

I am aware. I am just confused by the "until he's killed" part.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

It has been a while, but I could have sworn you see Gengaku's death...meh, could be I just added in a detail that wasn't there...
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

eldrasidar wrote:It has been a while, but I could have sworn you see Gengaku's death...meh, could be I just added in a detail that wasn't there...
The only time you see Genkaku in person is in the flash back scene with victor telling you the story how he was exiled from the city-state. No death scene!
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Some of you seem to be seeing every male relationship with an age gap as a father-child relationship.
I disagree about Viktor being a father-figure. He acts more like a big brother imo. Same with Gremio. I mean, remember that he's Tir's servant. And the same with Jowy, he's not old enough to be Pilika's father, and the time he spends bonding with her most is the time when she already has a father...

I think Ferid is an obvious choice. He treats his son like a son, not a prince/heir. I like their bond, the little we got to see of it :)
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

I think there is a natural inclination for there to be parental insinuations within close relationships between characters with a generational gap in age. It's not always the case, and people have a range of aptitudes for parenting instincts. Certainly there are lots of mentors who aren't parental such as Kai for Tir or Long Long Chan for Wakaba.

Viktor feels more like a father to me than an older brother, because although he is close to both Tir and Riou and is very encouraging and supportive, which a brother or father might be, he has a level of separation from them that makes him feel more like he is an excited observer of their feats and achievements, rather than an active participant in them(not that he doesn't play a large role), and to me that says proud and engaging father, more than older brother. That being said, it's not uncommon for older brothers to become surrogate fathers for their younger siblings in the absence of their actual father, so there's no reason Viktor can't be both. But the more I think about him, the more he reminds me of Skald Egan and his relationships with his kids and grandkids.

Gremio I don't see so much as a father as much as a nanny, but that's me.

Jowy I think is actually the best example of the adoptive father. It is true that he isn't old enough to be Pilika's biological father, but after her parents both die he makes a major commitment to raising her, taking care of her, and protecting her even when it is dangerous or ill advised. He may not be the wisest or most capable parent, but definitely he has one of the biggest hearts. The only flaw to that is that at the end of Suikoden 2, he goes off to adventure with Nanami and Riou without Pilika, but even then, he had by that time made the arrangements for her to live with Jillia Blight in secluded exile so it's not like he completely abandoned her.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I've checked the list three times now, but I can't see Kiba anywhere...?
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

I mentioned him, but didn't go into detail.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE