Miklotov...Can someone explain it?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Miklotov...Can someone explain it?

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I just cant understand why so many people rate Miklotov so highly, i've thought he was one of the lamest characters designs in suikoden 2 since i first played this game 11 years ago. Not only his apperance but the guys a complete douche when you first meet him first at the Jowston meeting. Best knight ever? He is definitely at the lower end of my list alongside the knights of Razril if you can even count them as knights. So please is there anybody out there who could explain to me why Miklotov is so well liked, but knights like pesmerga are apparantly unworthy of such praise?
If it's not found out, a lie becomes the truth.
Antimatzist

Re: Miklotov...Can someone explain it?

Post by Antimatzist »

Because Miklotov is very knight-ish? He has good manners, and this inner conflict duty vs moral makes him very likeable imo.

But where is Pesmerga rated lowly? He is one of the most popular characters out there. And I don't see him as a knight, just as a mysterious guy in black armor...

btw: From the Razril Knights I only like Keneth, because he is the only one really doing something for the knights. I mean Tal, c'mon, you saved your countr and now you're a fisherman????
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

yeah i couldnt relate to those knights of Razril they all look so crappy. Pesmerga is quite popular but he is constantly picked on for being so enigmatic and "not having enough depth/personality" which is a shame cause he's such a badass.

Miklotov though i still dont get it, is he supposed to be attractive for a drawing or something? Going to muse by himself, what an idiot does he have a death wish? The only good thing i remember him doing that was sort of cool was turning loads of knights against Matilda. Maybe its because of the first impressing you get when hes rude to Nanami. First impressions count for alot.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Miklotov is a pretty decent character in terms of gameplay, and he actually is important to the plot both of Suikoden 2 and briefly in Suikogaiden. As far as personality, he's got a fairly similar personality to that of Borus or Roog, who share his star, so if you don't like that, you're probably just not a fan of that character type. Is he the best knight? By no means, but he's a perfectly respectable one. He definitely doesn't belong in the low category of the knights of razril (Commander Glen not included, he was awesome). I think you are overestimating how much people are actually rating Miklotov, and what it is that they are rating. Personally I think he's pretty interesting. Yes, he is blunt, and headstrong, but he honestly fights for what he believes in, so I can respect that, even if I might personally be more tactful about it.

I'm also confused by the notion that people aren't rating Pesmerga highly. It's one thing to be frustrated with the game designers for having left Pesmerga undeveloped for so long, but I don't think anyone thinks poorly of Pesmerga himself, except to say that he seems to have pretty lousy detective skills in terms of finding Yuber.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

I think people like Miklotov because he's not afraid of fighting for what he believes in, that he's not afraid to go against an Oath to at least try to do what he thinks is right. He tried to rescue the people from Muse but weren't able to, and since his commander wouldn't do anything about it, he didn't want to just sit there and be silent, he'd rather make a difference.

How is this not a respectable Knight to you? He sure got all qualities for being an excellent one.

As to the subject of Pesmerga, I'm not sure if he qualifies as a knight, sure he wears armour but there's more to it than that to be counted as a knight. And when you're talking about his detective skills to finding Yuber, seeing as he was in two of the wars that Yuber were a part of, I'd say that's not that bad.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:? I never said he wasnt respectable, i said he wasnt likeable at least to me anyway. Roog was pretty forgettable but Borus had some depth, but he was still a bit of an arse. I didnt get Alen either and Hervey was just a poor mans Viktor. So maybe it is the Chimou stars in general, damn pretty boys! Maybe its because im shallow in the sense that i only play with characters i think look cool even if they suck in combat, Kage anyone? And i didnt say he was a bad detective but he is a black knight.
Night Shadow

Post by Night Shadow »

well, i think miklotov is loved by a lot simply because of his change of heart later on in the game. that, and his amazing "i am a knight second" speech. battlewise, hes quite average. ive always like camus more myself. and lest we forget, suikoden is surprisingly a game loved my a lot of female gamers. so, you get a lot of crushes right there. :D

and i agree about hervey being a poor mans viktor. ive never really liked the allen-grenseal, miklotov-camus sort of archtype. flik and viktor will always still be deeper, interesting characters imo.
‎"...Or else, it is the dream that haunts you. You wait with the promise of the next dream...when the act of waiting is dependent on remembering."
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Night Shadow wrote: suikoden is surprisingly a game loved my a lot of female gamers.
Surprisingly eh? ... Nice one.

Miklotov is one of the few characters given time, and a real plot/conflict in Suikoden 2. With 108 characters, they can't spend time on everyone. I like him because although he is incredibly driven by duty and we are shown this early on, he chooses to do whats right over what is easy, and ultimately follows his heart over his orders. He is a bit stoic and stiff sometimes but that's just who he is. I like him as a character.

...Awful haircut though.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Nikisaur wrote:Surprisingly eh? ...
Suprisingly hot! Your hot and you play suikoden need i know more, marry me Nikisaur!... :oops: Anyways, I am suprised that there is a substantial number of girls playing RPG's in general let alone here on Suikosource. Its refreshing but a little confusing as to why there isnt as many girl fans of other game genres such as fighting games and first person shooters?

I think i understand now why so many people admire Miklotov, Gorudo was a dick and that took balls, he didnt know that the other knights would follow him. Although he came across as rude at jowston hill maybe that was because he was just Gorudo's lapdog and was depressed. I was judging Miklotov mainly on his looks, blues my favorite color but he didnt do it justice and i think the number one culprit was his "awful haircut".
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Lol. Thanks :shock: Numbers of women/girls playing other genres is growing, but they're often alienated by the lack of female characters, or female characters that are simply eye candy. It's definately a barrier - but doesn't apply to everyone. But thats getting away from the point.

I find Camus more likeable in a personal way than Miklotov, but still like what Miklotov brings to the table in the overall scheme of the story. Suikoden 2 is, basically, based on loyalty and conflict of loyalty.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

I always wanted to live in New Zealand :wink: , Its perfect...for me :P.
:| Ive never had a problem playing as a girl in a game, in fighting games i usually choose the girls because they're usually more agile and fast. For example i much prefer fighting as Chun Li or Cammy in Streetfighter the Ryu and Guile, not in a perverted way either, pixles, polygons and pictures dont do it for me in that way.

What would you describe as eyecandy, i mean people like Jeane and Oulan would obviously be considered eye candy because their outfits are very revealling and their assests are ridiculously enhanced and out of proportion like in most animes. But would someone like Chris Lightfellow or Odessa Silverberg constitute as eyecandy because they're supposed to be pretty?

Not to go off topic completly: I much prefer the zexen knights over Miklotov and crew, hell even Roog and Rahal where better, but im just not overly impressed or interested in any of the pretty boy stars. Though i can see now why so many people do like them, Maybe its because ive never really been into knights and the code they follow but its probably just that im secretly rascist towards Matildians! :twisted:
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I think you missed my point :) Suikoden offers a realistic range of women. I was more referring to the FPS and fighting game genres that you pointed out. FPS, especially involving realistic war zones, often only have male characters. Fighting games tend to have a very skewed idea of the female body, and clearly they don't care if they appeal to female gamers.
For example: http://www.indolents.com/news/2007/12/11
Also, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this is the only reason that female gamers don't play these genres as much as guys. Or that none of them do (I love fighting games ^.^ )
But this is really off topic. If you want to keep talking about it I suggest creating a new topic?

The thing that got me about the Zexen knights is they're all totally into Chris. It bugs me. Like put one female in there and they're all O_O If it was just say, Borus and Percy then I wouldn't mind so much but they really didn't do anything to avoid that strong, beautiful heroine that all the men fall for stereotype. I think Miklotov really represents the 'perfect' knight. The Knights of Matilda were really the first set of knights that we see in Suikoden, so they really stressed the knightly virtues?
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

Give me the Maximillian knights any day over any of the knights besides Zexen, the Camaro knights are intriguing also, although thats probably because theres so little information on them. I know what you mean about Chris but would you be happier if she was all ugly? I thought it was amusing seeing them all competing for her attention, it reminds me of some of my old mates that completly change even if one girl joint the group.

Nikisaur:"Fighting games tend to have a very skewed idea of the female body, and clearly they don't care if they appeal to female gamers."

How would they actually fight effectively with those oversized tits getting in the way anyway? I think i will make a new topic to discuss this random diversion, im finding it hard to think up a topic title for it though any suggestions?
LadyMikain

Post by LadyMikain »

Miklotovs ok, hes a bit boring. Fred is my favorite knight, i wonder if Maximillian was fit when he was freds age?

@nikisaur: i love soulcaliber taki is my favorite but voldo is easiest to use i think.

@gilgamesh: why dont you call the topic girls in games or stereotypes in games if you want to include men?
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history.-Pahn. Suikoden.
gilgamesh31
Banned User

Post by gilgamesh31 »

:lol: I bet he was still sporting that crazyarse mustache of his. Hirithien kindly catered for that discussion in a topic called "eye candy" in the Character questions section, so theres no need but thanks for the suggestions.

I bought the Marugoto Genso Suikoden art book the other week and it has this section called "the 108 best episodes" or something like that. It details the top 108 best storylines out of all the games excluding card stories. The only problem is, its all in Japanese but luckily the screenshots make it farely obvious which "episode" it is. Miklotov's oath breakage is number seven just behind Thomas vs the Zexan council at six and Rahal dressing up as his sister at five. Wow! number seven out of 108...really? He must be a hell of alot more popular then i ever realized was possible.