Leknaat stuff

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Silverberg

Leknaat stuff

Post by Silverberg »

This is a Character Questions section so I'll ask this one: What is up with Leknaat?

She's a really cool character and I hope one day maybe a prequel that takes place before S4 we'll get to use her in the party. Like maybe she'll have to fight with the Stars of Destiny before she realizes she takes up the role of Executor of Balance.

However! And I've written this in another post somewhere, but she's kind of rude. I'm sure her intentions are noble, but she goes about stuff the wrong way. For example (and I'll break it down by game):

Suikoden I
1. Makes passes at imperial delivery boys and implies that they're 'cute'. I say imply because isn't she blind?
2. Tells her apprentice to test the delivery boy and his potentially unarmed entourage by throwing a big golem at them.
3. Drops off Luc like it's a daycare. Did she figure if Luc was hanging out with the Liberation Army, he might not turn out to be a little psychopath later on in life? FYI - when you overhear Cleo and Gremio talk smack about your "gift", do the army a favor and bring a bottle of wine to the next party.
4. Shows up unannounced in said delivery boy's room late at night while he's trying to sleep (typically before a big battle when he needs the most sleep)
5. Often says something profound yet repetitive like "yadda yadda yadda, stars of destiny are important". Meanwhile, the hero is probably in a state of being half awake when he hears this so he probably doesn't retain it.
6. Shows up in the middle of a tactician's all important speech just before the final battle and brings a corpse back to life. (You can tell how this pissed off Mathiu because he ignores Gremio, clears his throat, and continues as if nothing happened)
7. Tells the hero not to use the Soul Eater even though he's been using it on a regular basis, only to allow Joshua to use his to aid her.

Suikoden II
1. Again, likes to show up unnannounced while the hero is sleeping to preach about the Stars of Destiny. Oh, and to tell him she sees Jowy too. Creeeep-y stalker.
2. Doesn't really do much to help this time around. Couldn't even do anything about Yuber, who's clearly unbalanced. Not to mention, she lacks enough forsight to realize Luc was going to go bad.

Suikoden III
1. Nuthin for the entire game. Hello, Grasslands and most of the world are under the threat of the destruction of true runes. Didn't feel like showing up in people's bedrooms at night or did you just not know who was going to be the one to talk to until chapter 4? And then, by then, why bother.
2. And then it turns out that she lets Luc go off and do all these just so she could say "told you so" after he's dead. It's like if Cinderella was run over by her pumpkin carriage, her evil stepmother could have been like "went off on your own and look what happened. Told you so . . . . . bitch"

Suikoden IV
1. Granted it's been a while since I played this one so I don't remember everything about Leknaat this go around. But I'm pretty sure she showed up to tell Lazlo something while he was trying to sleep.
2. Also pulled a whole Trelane thing and popped into the Fog Ship to tell the captain to grow up and give back his toys... Stop showing up after the bad guy is beaten.

Suikdoen V
1. So by Suikoden V she's pretty much given up. She's like, "I'm done visiting boys in their bedrooms while they sleep. Besides, this one looks like a girl. What is that? Some kind of man dress?" Yes, I just called Leknaat a cougar. Anyway, she tells her emo Luc replacement Zerase to show up and do all the work.
2. Along those lines, continues to show up anyway because clearly she doesn't have faith in the goth chick. Or she wants fashion tips from the Prince. Maybe she's finally getting sick of her nightgown. But she's blind I suppose and can't tell what she's pulling out of her closet every time. Maybe that's why she went to Crystal Valley to get Luc. To help her dress.

Anyway, no, I do not hate Leknaat, I just thought I'd maybe bring some light to the very enigmatic rune bearer. Time for her to pick up Old Book Vol. 13 about common courtesy off of Amazon.

If I've missed any instances of weirdness, please let me know.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
Antimatzist

Re: Leknaat stuff

Post by Antimatzist »

Haha, some good ones!

I always wonder: what is Leknaat doing all the time between her unexpected visits? I mean couldn't she help you firsthand in your conflict? Ok, one could argue that she's just the keeper of the balance and doesn't want to interfere, but she gives you one of the best magicians in the game, gives you the most powerful spell of your rune, gives you the tablet so you don't miss any character... it's like saying "I don't want to get interfered in your conflict, but here, I'll give your small army a billion summoned creatures which only listen to your command and only harm bad people."

So.. what is she doing all day? Thinking "Oh man, I miss that boy Riou, I think I will visit him after I've emptied this can of beer."?

But one shouldn't think too much about stuff like that...
Silverberg

Re: Leknaat stuff

Post by Silverberg »

Well, I figure maybe in between visits she's probably just taking care of day to day business. But she can't see, so it just takes her a little longer than everyone else.

Also, in every first appearance, Leknaat needs to introduce herself to the hero. I think it might be time to get Tesla the Scriviner to scriv you up some business cards. Then she can be like "Leknaat the Magician, Executor of Balance at your service. With me as your guide, you can expect updates on your quest intermittenly, and with questionable results. I specialize in jargon, but I only work midnight to 3am so try not to fall asleep when I show up." Then she can be like "Go about your day like you would if I wasn't around . . . (since really, would you not have gone into that cave and gotten the sword and shield rune if she wasn't there?) "don't call me, I'll call you"

I could also see her throwing back a couple of beers in her tower. Again, another scenario:

Leknaat: "Hey . . . where ish dat kid . . Luck!"
Luc: "It's Luc."
Leknaat: "Donts yoush talk back ta me. I want yous ta *burp* mow the grash"
Luc: "We live on a 30 acre island."
Leknaat: "You think you're better dan me?"
Luc: "Master, you've been drinking again, haven't you?"
Leknaat: "Ish jus a lil' drink."
Luc: "I wish you wouldn't. It's bad for your health."
Leknaat: "You don' know me. You don' know me. You're jus some clone of dat . . . Hipposuck guy any*burp*way."
Luc: "What's that supposed to mean?"
Leknaat: " . . . . You've got rael purty hair . . ."
Luc: "Oh brother. Here we go again."
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"