Vegetarian Characters?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Humphrey Mintz
Location: Rotherham, England. Originally Kirkcaldy, Scotland.

Vegetarian Characters?

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

Hey everyone. I was just wondering if perhaps anyone could list all the vegetarian characters in the series that they know of? Being a vegetarian, I think it's great that they even thought to include vegetarians in the series, but sadly I don't know of many. I'd like to make an entire team of vegetarians (minus the main character, probably?) on one of the games, though I doubt that's possible. If you do wish to help me by naming any, please state why you think they are/might possibly be, or if it's definite, then please provide a quote or some kind of proof. Thanks. I'll start by listing the ones I know. =]

Badeaux - I'm not sure about him. His cook-off introduction is... "This beastmaster has a close rapport with all animals. As you might expect, he's a strict vegetarian. It' Badeaux!!!!" yet he appears to be wearing a lot of fur and leather. Either it's imitation fur and leather or he may just not be a very strict vegetarian in that he doesn't eat animals, but still wears them. I personally don't wear any animal products, and since Badeaux is known for his love of nature and animals, I wouldn't have thought he'd want to wear dead animals either? Any ideas?

Zamza - Again, not sure. ""He claims to be a vegetarian, but I heard he's just dieting. The powerful and conceited magician, Zamza!!!" is his cook-off introduction, but as you can see from his build, he has no need to diet. Either way, it doesn't seem like he eats meat for whatever reason. And unlike our "true" vegetarian Badeaux, he doesn't seem to be wearing any animal products. In my opinion, he seems more like a vegetarian than Badeaux.

Wakaba - Upon searching Google for "Suikoden vegetarian" to try and find some results, I came across the following, on a cheat site... "If he is a
vegetarian like Wakaba, prepare Green Salad (Salad with Mayonaisse)" but this is all I can find. Is this information accurate? If so, can anyone provide some information on that? I love Wakaba but didn't think she was vegetarian.

Ayda - The only information I could find on her was taken from Gensopedia. Under the trivia section... "Ayda is a strict vegetarian." which would make a lot of sense due to her love of nature and animals, but does anyone have any information?

Emilia - See Ayda. ^ She's quite a happy and peaceful person so this is plausible. Again, more information would be appreciated.

Queen - Probably the most obvious in the series but sadly gives up her vegetarianism after the events of the game. =/

Just looked up the cooking guide for Suikoden II on GameFAQs and under the Vegetarian section, it lists the following people. I would prefer more information on these but for now that's all I have. These are my thoughts.

Tony - Since he grows vegetables then he most probably loves to eat them too. Though this doesn't automatically make him a vegetarian, I would say it's quite possible. There's a good chance all the vegetable farmers of the series have a possibility of being a vegetarian.

Taki - Since she's a kind, sweet old lady, this is possible. That's not to say all non-vegetarians are evil or that all vegetarians are good though. She has some fruit on the top shelf of her house and seems to be cooking some sort of vegetable stew or something in her pot though so it's a possibility. Still, I know meat eaters can also eat fruit and vegetables so it's not a certainty.

Nanami - I can't think of an argument for or against Nanami being a vegetarian without any further information, really. I'd have thought that if she was, Riou and Genkaku would have been vegetarians too, though, since they all lived under the same house. Then again, I took up vegetarianism when I was still living with my parents and sister, and none of them were vegetarian so again, without any further information, I can't really say.

Sierra - Typically, I wouldn't think of traditional vampires as being vegetarian, but then again Sierra isn't a typical, traditional vampire. Since she has no need for human blood, and is against other vampires drinking human blood, then I'd say it's a possibility that she is a vegetarian. That all depends on what she thinks of other animals though, and I have no idea about that.

Sadly, thanks to the lack of cook-offs, it's not as easy to find out anymore. Bring back the cook-offs I say!! Obviously I enjoyed them as a minigame, and not just to find out who was a vegetarian. Also, on these games, if you do feed the "vegetarians" meat, they eat it. Whaaat? They should sort that out. So, does anyone have any further information on the vegetarians of Suikoden, either the ones I've mentioned above or any new ones? Any information or thoughts on this would be welcome. No nastiness, please. I have a lot of people attacking me for my vegetarian lifestyle but I wouldn't attack someone for, say, their sexual orientation or religious views, and it's kind of similar. Off-topic a bit here, are there any other people on here who are vegetarian? Probably not, but thought I'd ask anyway. Thanks!! =]
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

"All this killing... in front of a children!" - Mathiu Silverburg, Suikoden

"ᵍËMᵐʰ" - Futch, Suikoden II
Hirathien

Re: Vegetarian Characters?

Post by Hirathien »

About Badeaux up there: In that day and age, you had to use what you could come by. However! He might not have killed the animals that he's currently wearing.
Humphrey Mintz

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

I guess, but a lot of characters wear robes and such. You'd think he'd do that or something. If I were him, I'd buy a tunic or robe because that's probably not going to set him back as many Potch as what he's wearing. But... I dunno. I just don't think he's as dedicated as he could be. But like I say, could be faux/imitation leather.
"Even in the forest, not just at night, during your work, praise the King" - Zombie, Suikoden

Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

It could be pelt / leather that used to belong to his "friend" who died of natural causes, and he keeps it as a memento. There are cultures in the world that keep pieces of their deceased family as a reminder, so it's not that far out, either.

Oh yes, and Nanami clearly isn't vegetarian, as she cooks sweet and sour pork.
Humphrey Mintz

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

Yeah that's actually true, so that could very well be the case. In that sense, Fu Su Lu, Hallec and Gau may not be entirely ruled out of the whole vegetarianism thing.

As for Nanami, I thought I could remember something about her mentioning something about meat, either eating it or cooking it but I wasn't sure. Due to replay Suikoden and Suikoden II after I've finished V though so I'll maybe notice a few more things. I usually notice something new each time I replay something. In fact, this is the third time I'll have completed Suikoden V and I never even noticed the formation skills before this playthrough!! XD

So I guess Nanami's out then. Thanks for the input guys!! Wasn't sure if anyone was actually going to reply to this since it probably doesn't interest most people. Though I suppose it's just character trivia, etc. so one doesn't need to be vegetarian to be interested in discussing it.

eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

on Babeaux, it is important that he lives out in the wilderness, actively away from society. He is not going to go to town to buy some new threads(and likely wouldn't have the money to do so anyway. Thus, leather and fur are the most available resource for clothing, so he is likely to use them when he comes across either, besides, leather is a much more durable clothing material than cloth, and both fur and leather often are waterproof. So if you are living in the wildneress, they are pretty handy. Besides, being a vegetarian doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your moral stance regarding the use of animals in food and clothing, it just means you don't eat meat. I have a good friend who is a vegetarian, and wears a full length leather duster coat, and leather hat. He just doesn't like the taste of meat.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Humphrey Mintz wrote:Yeah that's actually true, so that could very well be the case. In that sense, Fu Su Lu, Hallec and Gau may not be entirely ruled out of the whole vegetarianism thing.
Why do you think Hallec and Gau would be vegetarian? My guess would be that Gau eats meat, as he lived with wild creatures and learned from them, and wild creatures do eat meat. About Hallec - according to the Gensopedia he is hunting, so he isn't vegetarian.
Humphrey Mintz

Post by Humphrey Mintz »

eldrasidar wrote:Besides, being a vegetarian doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your moral stance regarding the use of animals in food and clothing, it just means you don't eat meat. I have a good friend who is a vegetarian, and wears a full length leather duster coat, and leather hat. He just doesn't like the taste of meat.
That's true, I guess. I suppose some people just don't like the taste and maybe that's his reason. I made a moral decision to become vegetarian though but I guess Badeaux must just be like your friend.
Antimatzist wrote:Why do you think Hallec and Gau would be vegetarian? My guess would be that Gau eats meat, as he lived with wild creatures and learned from them, and wild creatures do eat meat. About Hallec - according to the Gensopedia he is hunting, so he isn't vegetarian.
I guess I just meant that wearing what they wear doesn't necessarily mean it'd stop them from being vegetarian. Bad wording. Also, completely unrelated, but is Gau even human? His skin is like... purple or something. And his eyes are quite demonic.

souleaterVII

Post by souleaterVII »

Hitler was a vegetarian..
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

souleaterVII wrote:Hitler was a vegetarian..
Not entirely, he did sometimes eat for example ham from his hoime region. Btw the Nazis were the first government in the world to release animal rights laws.

But in which Suikoden was Hitler? I think I missed him.

@Topic: I guess Mukumuku and hs friends are vegetarian since they only eat hazelnuts and that stuff.