Luc/Sasarai help

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
endlessperspective

Luc/Sasarai help

Post by endlessperspective »

I searched for Luc sasarai but the topics didn't seem to match what I want to know so I'm sorry if this was already discussed.

I don't really understand the whole Luc/Sasarai thing.. I get that they're clones of Hikusaak, but why did Luc leave to be with Leknaat? And why did Sasarai stay and become a bishop? Was it his automatic duty? Do they know if Hikusaak is still alive or have they ever met him? How did Hikusaak get the True Earth and Wind Runes for him to need to make clones to hold them?

I'm sorry if these are rediculous questions but I find it hard to understand. Maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks for the help
Lemmy Claypool

Re: Luc/Sasarai help

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Luc was considered 'defective' in some manner (can't remember exactly how, I'm sure somebody else will be able to post further details on this) and was locked away in a dungeon or some such, Leknaat rescued him.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Not exactly disagreeing but I think I have a different view on this whole topic. Hikusaak was working on a way to bear multiple true runes probaly out of jealousy of Crowley because supposley Crowley found a way to bear a 100 runes in his body. How Hikusaak obtained the True Wind and Earth Runes is something I don't know, possibly gifts to Harmonia. I've read that Luc was kidnapped by Leknaat and essentialy the True Wind Rune was stolen from Harmonia. If you read the editorial on here about the True Runes you will get a better understanding on why Luc is the way he is and why Sasari is the way he is, especialy since they both do not have any real parents. When a person is born they are born with many traits of their parents for example "he has the same attitude as his father" that something that could be geneticaly past down from generation to generation. Now in Luc and Sasari's situation its a bit different because of the True Runes. Each True Rune provides a certain group of qulatities to add to the balance of the world and again since these two do not have "natural" parents their attitudes and natural morals come directly from their respective runes. Again read the editorial on here about the True Runes and you will see why Luc is the way he is, the True Wind Rune has unique and selfish qulaities that show clearly through Luc. After dealing with war in S1 with the Scarlet Moon Empire, the Dunan city state wars, and wars in Falena Leknaat just did not have enough power to keep Luc from leaving her island, I'm actually confident that he could have destroyed her and then left thats how weak she was.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Yeah, his body somehow (in some unexplainable manner) didn't take to the true rune like Sasarai's didn't so he was locked away. Leknaat took him away from the prison and trained him as her apprentice. The things about the two of them is that, Sasarai would visit Luc in the prison and he found out that Luc had special powers too, but the Harmonian priests (or who ever they were. . )would stop him and scold him for going down there. Luc resented sasarai for being free and accepted (in the same manner as those who are less privileged would resent those who are). I suppose Leknaat told Luc the truth about their existence (whereas sasarai was still unaware)

How he got the true runes? Well, wasn't he like head of the Harmonian goverment or something (I'm not sure) but I know that Harmonia has their hands on a few true runes, which is why they were able to give Jowy the beast rune.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
endlessperspective

Wow, there's alot I missed by not playing Suikoden II....

So basically since his role was to bear a True Rune and because that didn't work, they threw him in prison, because he was 'useless'?

I know he got visions by the True Rune, even if they weren't good ones, but doesn't that still mean that he's pretty connected with the rune? As far as I know, not everyone with a true rune gets vivions with it, or is that what they meant when they said he didn't take to it well?

Btw I was 10 when I played Suikoden III so my understanding was kinda..not there.

So did they know Hikusaak or ever meet him or anything of the sort?
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

endlessperspective wrote:Wow, there's alot I missed by not playing Suikoden II....
Actually, this is pretty much all in the Suikoden III manga. Suikoden II doesn't really reveal much. Luc seems to know Sasarai in that game, but doesn't explain why, and Sasarai doesn't really recognize him.

They didn't technically throw him in prison, but in a cell by himself (much like Diva from Blood+, if you've seen it) because they were going to try a find a better body for the True Wind Rune (Leknaat found him and rescued him before this happened). What people meant by him not taking the rune well is because it was entangled in his heart, and using it too much would eventually cause the rune to consume him. I don't think Luc ever knew Hikusaak but I'm assuming Sasarai did.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Blutigengel wrote:
endlessperspective wrote:Wow, there's alot I missed by not playing Suikoden II....
Actually, this is pretty much all in the Suikoden III manga. Suikoden II doesn't really reveal much.
This. I certainly hope the manga series would remain canon, since the games surely didn't do justice to their relationship as well as Luc's origins.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

they threw him in prison, because he was 'useless'?
They threw him in prison because he was defective, not useless.
because they were going to try a find a better body for the True Wind Rune
The Wind Rune is intertwined with Luc's soul and cannot be removed. He's thrown in a cell as that's the only way they will have some control over it.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Belcoot4 wrote:Not exactly disagreeing but I think I have a different view on this whole topic. Hikusaak was working on a way to bear multiple true runes probaly out of jealousy of Crowley because supposley Crowley found a way to bear a 100 runes in his body.
there is absolutely no information on whether Hikusaak and Crowley have any relation or know each other whatsoever. you're jumping through a lot of hoops to come up with this idea. Harmonia seems to have been conquering many lands and collecting True Runes centuries before Crowley appears in history, and we don't know anything about Hikusaak whatsoever, or if he's even alive (hell, the Hikusaak mentioned by Sasarai in Suikoden III can simply be a clone who routed the original, or the original went into hiding and has a copy running Harmonia, or he's just outright dead and Sasarai is lying to preserve Harmonia's status, etc)
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Yes my thought is definitly farfetched but just by understanding Harmonia they seem to be a country who has an unquenchable thirst for power and any technology or methods that arise they believe they should have part or take control of it. Thats probaly true or there hasn't been any hard evidence that Hikusaak and Crowley have any relations but I just know based on a few things I've read and playing S1 that Crowley did or was finding a way to bear 100 runes in his body. If any of this got wind to Hikusaak I'm sure out of pure jealousy or power he too would want to find a way to bear many true runes. All of this is conjecture though. I still have no idea how they came in to possession of both the True Earth and Wind runes.

endlessperspective

Blutigengel wrote:
Actually, this is pretty much all in the Suikoden III manga. Suikoden II doesn't really reveal much. Luc seems to know Sasarai in that game, but doesn't explain why, and Sasarai doesn't really recognize him.
Yay, more money I get to spend.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

I seen a few copies of S2 on Amazon the other day that were'nt exactly unreasonable in price. To me all the prices are unreasonable because I still have my original that I probaly paid 40 or 50 bucks for but I'd say anything $100 and under is a good deal. I highly suggest you pick that up, probaly 99% of the fans of the series like S2 the most. It probaly won't help you in regards to Luc and Sasari but playing S1,S2, then S3 the first two are a good history lesson before you indulge in S3. Infact lets say you never played S3 and you played the previous 2, when you see Sasari appear you'll be like who in the world is that. Back on topic, the background behind Luc and Sasari will probaly take a few more editons to the series before anyone gets a clear grasp on what the real story is. Those two are almost as mysterious as the Pesmerga v. Yuber feud.

endlessperspective

Does anyone know why Sasarai automatically became a bishop and WHY Leknaat rescued Luc? Did she see potential in him? She doesn't seem like the type to take people from random dungeons for the hell of it since she's so bent on the whole "destiny" thing. No answer on the Hikusaak thing I guess... Oh and since they seem to age from Suikoden I-II to Suikoden III does that mean that the clones started as babies or as like 10 or something? (Hehe baby Luc).

And the 100 dollar good price thing... I'm 17 and have to pay rent, hydro and TV/phone/internet bills so 100 dollars to me is alot, thats why I'm looking for the Suikoden II game script.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

17 and paying rent? thats almost illegal.... I'm not condoning this in anyway but did you ever think of moding your ps2 (if its the slim one)?

I'm assuming that Sasari became a Bishop for a few reasons. One, Hikusaak probaly has been grooming him to be one since he was created. I can only think of two reasons why Hikusaak would want to have clones and that would be to one to bear a True Rune of course as a human weapon and two to be a bishop or of some heiarchy in Harmonia. I doubt he just wanted a "son". Another reason why I think he became a bishop is that possibly his assistence in the Dunan Unification War (S2) may have been one of his first real missions and because he risked his life as well as the lives of Harmonian troops that he was rewarded with the title of Bishop. Kind of like how Albert helped Luc in his mission, regardless if Luc's mission was against the wishes of Harmonia his assitence while Luc was still a bishop was enough to get him a position of promise in Harmonia. I'd imagine that both Luc and Sasari started out as infants because Luc appears in S1 which is many years before S3 (not sure of the timeline) and when Sasari duels with Hugo he mentions that Hugo needed to be atleast the age of 30 to even be considered the flame champion. So I'm guessing both Luc and Sasari are 30 something. Actually I know they are because when Jimba is on dying words (Luc's Chapter) Jimba says how hes way over 70 years old and that Luc was still a kid since he was 30.

Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

endlessperspective wrote:Does anyone know why Sasarai automatically became a bishop and WHY Leknaat rescued Luc? Did she see potential in him? She doesn't seem like the type to take people from random dungeons for the hell of it since she's so bent on the whole "destiny" thing. No answer on the Hikusaak thing I guess... Oh and since they seem to age from Suikoden I-II to Suikoden III does that mean that the clones started as babies or as like 10 or something? (Hehe baby Luc).
Yes, they start out as babies. They're clones of Hikusaak (no idea how they got cloning technology) used as vessels for the true runes. In III it mentions something about Hikusaak wanting all of the true runes for himself, and that was his way of doing that since one person can't hold all of the true runes at once. Leknaat never really gives a reason for rescuing Luc, so perhaps it is the destiny/fate thing.