Will Flik get over Odessa?

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
Masamune.

Will Flik get over Odessa?

Post by Masamune. »

One thing I admire about Flik is that he's a hopeless romantic, and won't move on from his love for Odessa. But do you think he will ultimately? Or will he carry on as a lone wolf with Nina badgering him? :P
abs

Re: Will Flik get over Odessa?

Post by abs »

I dont think so...He said so himself....Its not that he cant forget odessa its just that he does not want to.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The only reason he'd get over it is if he met someone equally amazing. Then of course, he'd have to get a new sword.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I agree, its like with anyone trying to get over a love, you would have to find someone equal to or greater than the last love, I think flik secretley enjoys ninas company, i mean, at least he is getting some sort of affection from someone else, its almost a way for him to (not forget about odessa) but temporaraly distract him from thinking about it.
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I dont think he would neccesarily have to get a new sword. The name would probably remain as a tribute to his first love, and i severely doubt that Flik would fall for a girl who wouldnt be able to accept that.

I think its quite likely that Flik will find someone new, or would find someone new, since i doubt we'll have another game that revolves around him. Just because someone says "I'll never love again" doesnt make it true, i mean how often have you heard a girl say "I'm done with men!" and then not become a lesbian? Its along the same lines. When caught in a web of emotions, people say things that are not neccesarily true. I dont see Flik as anything other then a real man, and therefore he is likely to say something along those lines (especially given his "Hopeless Romantic" branding). Will it be Nina? Maybe if she ever grows up and becomes a real woman. But in answer to the question, yes, i do think that Flik will eventually get over Odessa's untimely and heroic death and move on.
Mikain Clan King

Post by Mikain Clan King »

Oppenheimer wrote:The only reason he'd get over it is if he met someone equally amazing. Then of course, he'd have to get a new sword.
He could find someone equally amazing in his eyes, but the sword thing is probably to much for him.
"The duel with Genkaku.... It continues here....."
-Han Cunningham

"This is your final test... Can you win this time, Riou?"
-Leon Silverburg
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

JanusThePaladin wrote:I think its quite likely that Flik will find someone new, or would find someone new, since i doubt we'll have another game that revolves around him. Just because someone says "I'll never love again" doesnt make it true, i mean how often have you heard a girl say "I'm done with men!" and then not become a lesbian? Its along the same lines. When caught in a web of emotions, people say things that are not neccesarily true.
Yeah, but in the example you used that's like when a man has cheated on the woman or messed her around, which is why she blurts out with something like that.

This is entirely different.

Odessa was a woman Flik profoundly loved and respected, she was his everything. Five years on from then, he's still grieving and won't even entertain the idea of meeting someone else. Flik's like any other hot-blooded male and will have his needs, but I think that love for Odessa could always come between his potential relationships.
JanusThePaladin

I disagree. He was still caught in a tangle of emotion and pain, true. But to believe that he would never strive to remove himself from that seems folly to me.
Masamune.

Post by Masamune. »

Why not? He wouldn't be the first man to never love again.
abs

Post by abs »

Masamune. wrote:Why not? He wouldn't be the first man to never love again.
^ In reality men do tend to fall easily...
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

This happens often. It takes awhile after the loss of a love to be able to love again... but statistically, it happens more often than not (except with elderly people.)

Realistically, given his young age, he would probably eventually find someone else. I know it's more touching to think that she would be his only love forever... but if he lives to be an old man, that's a long time to be lonely.
Purr.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

meh... Flik failed to fulfill the meaning of his sword

he should definitely get a new one and start over

means both sword and girl
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

I agree, i mean if he finds a new love, it would be wuite pointless to hold on to odessa++ when hes with someone else, it just wouldnt feel right, if he ever does find the right girl i would hope that he would like mount his odessa sword and start a new with a good girl for him, flik doesnt deserve to be lonely :(
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
JanusThePaladin

Mio wrote:meh... Flik failed to fulfill the meaning of his sword

he should definitely get a new one and start over

means both sword and girl
Could you explain how he failed the meaning of his sword?

And i was under the impression that the Warriors Village warriors would only HAVE one sword, hence the necessity to name it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

TrueWater00 wrote:I agree, i mean if he finds a new love, it would be wuite pointless to hold on to odessa++ when hes with someone else, it just wouldnt feel right, if he ever does find the right girl i would hope that he would like mount his odessa sword and start a new with a good girl for him, flik doesnt deserve to be lonely :(
Why? The first love is very often the most important one. So Odessa could still be his most important, eh, thing.