Caleria mercenaries

Ask questions about the personality and backstory of the multitude of characters in the Suikoden series.
jbd86es

Caleria mercenaries

Post by jbd86es »

Why are the mercenary units led by Geddoe and Duke considered mercenaries? Don't they have assignments from Harmonia? I know they have some freedom with how they operate and even though we see Ace discuss with Geddoe about incoming assignments, aren't they expected to do them.
What I really want to know what truly distinguishes them from the greater Harmonian Military (uniforms of choice?). And Harmonia is known for having three classes of citizens: are the mercenaries second-class? And what is Geddoe's motivation for working for Harmonia. Couldn't he be an independent mercenary working for no one nation; he could become a Free Knight of C/Kamaro. And isn't Grassland and Zexen to the West or North of Harmonia, so why are they the Southern Frontier Defense Force (I think the direction should center on Harmonia's positon)?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Caleria mercenaries

Post by KFCrispy »

they work on commission and are not required to do any service like soldiers going to war. Harmonia simply puts out requests, and mercenaries can try to accomplish the goal; whoever completes the task takes the pay.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Caleria mercenaries

Post by patapi »

What impressed me was the fact that these groups of mercenaries are assigned specific team numbers within the SFDF. Being mercenaries, I doubt they are even part of the class hierarchy structure in Harmonia, as they aren't necessarily Harmonia citizens. Queen, being from an annexed nation, might fit into a particular class though.

I wouldn't be surprised that these people chose to work with Harmonia because they can keep up with the payments and that they pay well; Geddoe's ulterior motives notwithstanding.
jbd86es wrote:And isn't Grassland and Zexen to the West or North of Harmonia, so why are they the Southern Frontier Defense Force (I think the direction should center on Harmonia's positon)?
Since we don't actually know how far north the Harmonian lands stretch to, we can safely assume that the Zexen-Grasslands region are to the southwest of Harmonia. After all, these regions share borders with Tinto's new lands, which we know that together with the rest of Dunan Republic are directly to the south(east?) of the Holy Kingdom.