Prince got off easy in terms of Runes *minor spoilers*

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Prince got off easy in terms of Runes *minor spoilers*

Post by suiko2fan2 »

So i remember reading another post that talked about which hero suffered and lost the most during the war in which they fought in. i wanted to focus on the aftermath of the war. The games all try to give the heroes a bit of a happy ending by putting various characters back in their lives or not letting others die, with the help of runes and the 108 stars right. However, in terms of bearing the burden of True Rune or something pretty close to it, like Bright Shield. Heroes like Tir or Lazlo had huge burdens like immortality and near solitude after their wars. Heck even Kyril had the burden of a prolonged life, which is pretty True Rune-ish. Yet Prince Frey gets off free as a bird. He doesn't have to continue to bear any super-powered up rune (dawn, twilight) or TR like the Sun rune. Also, he gets Lyon back. Whether he goes with georg or stays with Princess, whatever 'good' ending isl adopted as cannon the prince gets a pretty fairytale happy ending if you ask me.

Obviously he suffered during the war and lost a lot. Probably the most, 2nd of only after Tir, but that is not the point of this thread. and yes if you get one of the bad ending he does end up bearing the two runes and lyon still dies, but thats why its a 'bad' ending. However, it's the good ending the becomes canon. so in the end i still think Frey gets off much easier in the aftermath as compared to McDohl, Riou, Jowy, Hugo, Geddoe, Chris, Lazlo, and, yes even, Kyril,
Last edited by suiko2fan2 on Sat May 30, 2020 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Prince got off easy in terms of Runes *minor spoilers*

Post by Oppenheimer »

Interesting idea. There was another thread with a similar idea of loss you might be interested in reading too: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =13&t=9092
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Oppenheimer wrote:Interesting idea. There was another thread with a similar idea of loss you might be interested in reading too: http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =13&t=9092

yeah this was the thread i was talking about. thanks i couldn't find it. as this one deals a lot with the lost during the game as well as looks at the psychological scars of each hero if you will. i am just trying to focus on the fact the as compared to the others Frey seemed less burden in terms of not having to bear a True Rune or suffer the death of his closest companion.
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, neither Lazlo nor Riou didn't suffer a death of his best friend either (in the good ending), just like Frey doesn't in the good ending. In fact all three have their best friends (Jowy, Snowe, Lyon) die in the less than 108 stars ending, but all three are saved by getting all 108 stars.

But I would agree Frey gets off easier than say Kyril, Hugo and Tir because Kyril's dad, Lulu and Ted die in their stories regardless.
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

What i think he's trying to point out is their fates regarding their runes. All the other heroes, are required to go on living with their true runes, and knowing that at any time their rune may take it into their heads to mess with their lives again. Frey however doesnt have to live with that uncertainty as he returns the dawn rune.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Assuming he stays behind he still has a lot of responsiblity to watch out for the Sun Rune. But, in the end it's his sister's duty to really look out for that true rune as it's her legacy.

It's possible Frey just up and leaves, and yes he doesn't have the rune at all in that ending so you're right he gets off easier than the others.
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

indeed, I think he still has some responsibility as a member of the royal family to watch for the runes of his nation/ as does Lym.

i actually made another post as it doesn't pertain to this topic directly. but it does discuss what could happen, since no 1 is in possession of the Sun Rune right now.
http://www.suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =22&t=9969

Best Suiko FanFic:
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Since the Sun Rune is Falena's most sacred treasure. Frey is still protecting a true rune like the others are even though he doesn't have it on his person.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

didn't Riou and Jowy sealed the Rune of Beginning back in Toto vill??

or was that just false info that i actually believed
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Hm, I'm not sure what happens with their Runes- I think they sealed their Rune, but I dunno where <_<
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

All three runes returned to the chamber in Sol Falena where the Sun Rune was kept. Doesn't it show that at the end?
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

I think Animatzist was answering the question about Riou and Jowy. And from my understanding, Riou and Jowy were able to defeat the will of their runes, and turn them back, much like Lazlo in S4. Thus they carry their runes, but the runes are docile and not taking an active roll in the world.

As for the prince technically guarding the Sun Rune, thats really stretching. Its Lyms job as queen of Falena to protect and serve the Sun Rune, not the prince. The prince is simply back to being a regular unimportant royal again, and though he may defend and guard the rune, he is not required to even be in its presence. Where as the other heroes of the Suikoden Series are required to bare their runes for eternity, or until the rune chooses a new barer.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

Antimatzist wrote:Hm, I'm not sure what happens with their Runes- I think they sealed their Rune, but I dunno where <_<
hmm it got haywire from this post forward

point was, Riou's and Jowy's runes were united and formed the once separated Rune of Beginning

correct me if i'm wrong but i subconsciously know that they sealed the Rune of Beginning back in Toto Village (Pilika's town)

then went on a journey with Nanami

sooOOO, in lieu of this, Frey's not the only one who got off easy

correct?
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Mio wrote:
Antimatzist wrote:Hm, I'm not sure what happens with their Runes- I think they sealed their Rune, but I dunno where <_<
hmm it got haywire from this post forward

point was, Riou's and Jowy's runes were united and formed the once separated Rune of Beginning

correct me if i'm wrong but i subconsciously know that they sealed the Rune of Beginning back in Toto Village (Pilika's town)

then went on a journey with Nanami

sooOOO, in lieu of this, Frey's not the only one who got off easy

correct?
Riou and Jowy never sealed their runes back in Shrines at Toto. I am afraid either your information or subconscious has been misinformed.

Best Suiko FanFic:
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

oh okay

so the scenario was... wait who carried the Rune of Beginning?

Riou?

so Riou became immortal and is travelling with Nanami and Jowy?

i always thought those three would live and grow old together

i guess Riou would stay around a little longer then...