A few Suiko 5 questions *Spoilers*

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Crowetron

A few Suiko 5 questions *Spoilers*

Post by Crowetron »

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place.

Now, while playing through Suiko V again, a few plot points stuck out that greatly bugged me. First of all, Lym is Queen after Arshtat's death, yet rarely even tries to give any orders. Granted, she's a figurehead, and the Godwins would only allow her so much, but what bothers me is she never even tries! With the Godwins so interested in keeping up appearances, you'd think they'd grant her a few of her demands; if she, for example, argued sending Miakis to Doraat and away from her own side, she could probably win that one. She's Queen, right? She must have some pull, even if it's just from the Godwins trying to keep her quiet.

Then there's the issue of Nether Gate. Why, exactly, are they considered secretive assassins? With the notable exception of Dolph, no Nether Gate member seems to even be able to spell "stealth". They leap noisely through windows, smash thier way into the Sun Palace, create a big spectacle of burning down Beaver Lodge, etc. Seriously, all thier plans seem to be "Break as much stuff as possible, then maybe kill the target if we have time. But mostly wreck up the place." Case in point: Childerich.

And one last question: what's with Lordlake and sombreros? It just doesn't seem to mesh with any of thier other fashions in Falena.
"Death is for NPCs." ~ Red Mage

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
JanusThePaladin

Re: A few Suiko 5 questions *Spoilers*

Post by JanusThePaladin »

The sombreroes are probably to respresent the blistering heat and sun as a consequence of Arshtat's vengeance.

As for the Godwins with Lym, i believe a random NPC states that the queen really has little power without the senates support, and as the Godwins hold the majority of the senate, especially after Salum's death, it seems they could stop ANY action Lym tried to do.

As for nethergate, if i remember correctly we're only really introduced to Dolph and Childerich.

Dolph is stealthy, Childerich is a fighter. They have different styles.

I believe that its been stated that Oboru is the former leader of Nethergate, and he seems rather stealthy to me....
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I believe that its been stated that Oboru is the former leader of Nethergate, and he seems rather stealthy to me....
Oboro was the head of the intelligence agency in Nether Gate.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
JanusThePaladin

I stand corrected.

but his operatives and he himself seemed rather stealthy to me...
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

The Nether Gate guys I was refering to were those really tall masked assassins with swords for hands. They just rushed in and started breaking (or burning) stuff.

And you're probably right about Lym. Although, it still strikes me as odd that we never see her even try to make demands, particularly since she was built up as a pushy and outspoken girl previously.

The sombreroes still strike me as out-of-place, but I suppose you're right about them, too.

"Sometimes, justice is just a pretty word. Other times, justice is three feet of steel hittin' you in the face!" ~ Boz Wilde, philosopher

Georg = Batman?
JanusThePaladin

Yeah, i totally expected expected Lym to be a stronger character than she was. She turned out to be a more hyped Pilika in my opinion.

You do have a point about the Nether Gate guys, but dont forget how the Godwins used them to infiltrate the palace. The only visual example we have of their actions is burning and mayhem, but it is a good possibility that the point of that mission was to be boisterous.

Speaking of boisterous, am i the only person who thought they really f-ed up on Childerich? I mean whats up with it looking like he's having a siezure all the time? How can anyone have the energy to fight when their rocking back and forth the whole time?
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

Childerich was basically a Looney Toons character with knives strapped to his hands, he was so rediculous. Seriously, Konami, what the crap? Maybe they though if he looked like he really had to pee all the time, it'd be...scarier? I dunno.

And setting fire to Beaver Lodge, a place within walking distance of the rebellion army, in the dead of night when the flames would basically become a big glowing beacon, was very, very unsteathly. That's almost Fuma level of not-hidden-at-all. Nether Gate really failed it appearing like a ominous threat, which sucks because they tried really hard to be scary.

At this point, I should probably point out that I'm only picking on Suiko V because I love it so much.

Georg = Batman?
SSA316

Post by SSA316 »

And setting fire to Beaver Lodge, a place within walking distance of the rebellion army, in the dead of night when the flames would basically become a big glowing beacon, was very, very unsteathly. That's almost Fuma level of not-hidden-at-all. Nether Gate really failed it appearing like a ominous threat, which sucks because they tried really hard to be scary.

That was part of a bait tactic. The Godwin's intended for the Prince to come running to the beavers aid so they could execute their counter-offense in re-taking parts of the map, all the while provoking the Beavers (and later the Dwarves) to side with the Prince's army. Once the B&D's had associated themselves with the "enemy" the Godwin's could conveniently carry out their Felana for Felanan's plan, merely targeting 3 birds with one stone.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Ohhh... I'd never saw it like that before but it DOES make lots of sence. Could the Godwin actually have some brain? =O
Crowetron

Post by Crowetron »

That does make sense, but then why use Nether Gate for that? Couldn't it have been just as easily accomplished by a small group of regular soldiers? The Beavers didn't even have weapons or defenses, remember, so it would probably be easier than torching Ryube or Toto.

Georg = Batman?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

Nether Gate probably changed dramatically during the years it was secretly operated by the Godwins. Also, considering that they quickly burned Beaver Lodge before anyone noticed, Oboro & friends were members of the group, and they had Raging Nostrum for suicidal last stands, and nobody knows where they're based, they have been and still are pretty damn secretive and powerful.
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Lym probably would have demanded Barows be punished severely for the theft of the Dawn Rune and the Bandit Prince incident. Not to mention Zahhak's resignation for burning Lelcar and she would have been really pissed and condemned the Armes alliance. All would have been ignored or overlooked by Godwin.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

i just played through that part last nite. Oboro used to be a member of Nether Gate, but hardly the leader i dont think. I'm quite sure we wont see the leader of Nether Gate for another game or 2.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

You mean Takefute? There is a chance we'll see him in a future game. Apparently, it looks it's going to have to be Nakula or the new hero that does him in.
Mio
Banned User

Post by Mio »

These questions are... well actually quite stupid to be honest

1. Lym was constrained for taking actions, why? because unlike most people, Lym was not made to be a self centered spoiled brat who only think about herself. if i recall Gizel threatens to harm Miakis if anything would not go as they please. Oh what the hell, they care not about images, they care about the Sun Rune, and they would burn Falena if thats what it takes to make Lym follow their bidding

2. secretive assasins? well try to extract information from a suicidal killer. you put too much emphasis on Childerich's warpath and failed to credit their stealth missions. There was the assault on Falena and the assault on Beaver Lodge as already mentioned. i would like to point out that if they were not stealthy enough, they would get detected easily allowing the beavers, Ferid, or Lyon to know their exact positions and plan an escape route.

3. Try staying outside on a desert without any protection from the heat, you'd get sunburn and heat stroke. you don't expect an elder of Lordlake to just sit under a shade doing nothing right?