Game of Love?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Chris_Lightfellow

Re: Game of Love?

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

It's stated in the game. Katarina says so herself.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

Chris_Lightfellow wrote:It's stated in the game. Katarina says so herself.
Hmmm!
Well I sensed the love between them nonetheless.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Well.....uh.....it still sounds overwhelmingly awkward...
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Belle

Post by Belle »

Vermillion.Twilight wrote: Also
How is Glen Katarina's dad? They are close to the same age.
Close to the same age? Aren't they like 20 years apart?

(Besides, being "close to the same age" doesn't necessarily make a person incapable of creating life...)
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Vermillion.Twilight wrote:
Chris_Lightfellow wrote:It's stated in the game. Katarina says so herself.
Hmmm!
Well I sensed the love between them nonetheless.
Maybe you sensed 'Paternal love', eh?
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Tenko5 wrote:
SheenaTheWomanizer wrote:Ok Shigure and Sagiri always seemed far more like brother and sister to me. He looks after her like an older brother would. Thats how I see it.

And as for the Chris and Nash parring I tottaly don't agree. His flirting only ever makes Chris mad and at one point in Alma Kinan she even tells him she hates him. If you are talking Chris I think the closest you can come is Borus and Percival. And if you want to take the Suikoden III manga into account Percival is the one that comes the closest to anything romantic with Chris.
You're missing the real point here. I'm not really asking who came the closest to being romantic, I'm asking if you like the kiddy love themes in the game. There is no debating that Borus and Percival both like Chris and neither really get close to her romantically. Why? because she is too ignorant or too stubborn to admit that they do like her. Like many kids and I find it annoying. I think the story could've been better if she would've use their feelings to her advantage or picked one.
I think your oversimplifying the relationships of these people. Certainly Borus has something close to an obsessive love for Chris, but Percival to me, always seemed just a supportive friend. The only real romance he ever showed was perhaps taking her to Iksay village, and I honestly think that was just to help her unwind a bit.

Borus was literally attached to her hip and the guy never let her breathe.

For the "immaturity" of other relationships, well look at the relationships at a whole. Nina pursued Flik like a love sick puppy, Hix would only show his true potential in defense of Tengar. Most of the relationships that are most memorable are with kids. True love however, Flik/Odessa, Lepant/Eileen, Freed/Yoshina, Arshat/Ferid were all very mature in their love. I think more than story telling, its about the characters themselves.

But I have to comment I find it odd that your complaining about immature relationships in a video game. That's like hating on a comic book due to lack of realism.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Don't forget Klaus + MikuMiku!
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

Sir I think you are really reaching.

Chris is in the military, so obviously you can't act on any tension--and even if that's not a rule in Zexen, if she chose one it would be really bad with the others. She gets embarrassed because the knights act like full on idiots when she clearly doesn't have romantic feelings for them. She probably favors Percival (and Salome) a bit more because they are the ones who act the most normal around her. She genuinely likes all of the knights (platonic) but supporting someone's almost obsessive attention is hard work and she doesn't want to do it. To acknowledge it would throw the Knights into soap-opera turmoil which would be suicide in the middle of two wars so to disarm it I think she deliberately misunderstands. I don't think that's childish at all, I think she is making the best of a difficult situation.

She might like Nash I guess, but in terms of game time they are together for only a little while and the rest of the time she is busily acting as a Firebringer commander. Besides it's clear he sees her more as daughter/younger sister type than romance--most of his stuff is teasing to get her open up a bit more. He seems pretty stuck on Sierra. Fred? Where is evidence for Fred? Weird. Hugo.... actually I kind of see it but I think it's more that she sees someone who can potentially understand her because Hugo is young, has been in war, and is suddenly thrust into the leadership position. Basically I'm dismissing any mutual tension between Chris and anyone except Nash.

For Hugo I actually agree, I think he's interested in Lilly because she's so different (and let's be honest, awesome) from anyone he's ever met and I would have enjoyed developing this more as hinted at from the opening anime with them. I don't think he has any particular attraction to Chris. So I guess I'll give you some limited tension with Lilly. That said I don't think there's a childish kind of romance there because there's just too little in the game to actually create a romance. Are you confusion tension with immature relationship?

Geddoe and Queen--I don't see why you consider this juvenile. As with Chris, they're in the same unit and it's a mercenary unit, it's just the 4 of them (remember Jacques was added not long before game began) going places and doing things they are together a LOT. Any kind of romance with the single woman (until Aila) in the group gets really awkward even if it does work out, plus Geddoe had his TLR burden to carry. So there's a good reason not to be overt or pursue it. Also from the game (I just played Geddoe's 1-3 last week actually) I have no trouble seeing Queen and Ged. get together after they retire from mercenary business. So once again, Job related.

Luc obviously realized what Sarah thinks of him but just because you realize it, doesn't mean you return it and in that situation normally, returning it when you don't feel that way just makes things worse. In game, Luc has decided on his goal, and an attachment to Sarah would only make that harder. I don't remember if it's in the game but in the manga at least, Luc gives Sarah several chances to abandon him and spare herself. So it's kind of "too late" for him, and you'll note that as he's dying he seems to return her feelings more--because he no longer has the goal so he's free to pursue it. Plus their spirits seem to be dating in the afterlife.

As for everyone else, I will give you Franz and Iku having an immature relationship. Everyone else you are making up (Jacques and Aila? You are misreading humor as sexual tension.) or it's a consequence of having so many stars you can't do more than hint such as Ayame/Watari and that's not an immature relationship just because it's lightly sketched. I suppose Elaine and Ace have kind of a love/hate relationship but since they are in rival units they can't act on it or even have much time to.

So summary: Very little kiddy love, wondering why you spotted all this "tension" that I don't think is there.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Vextor wrote:Don't forget Klaus + MikuMiku!
touche!

Love is a light backdrop to Suikoden. People are a bit more worried about being slaughtered by genocidal generals in these games to go on dates. . .

As you said the only obvious relationships are already developed before the game starts. That's because they were in peace times when they developed said relationships.

The shy blush blush master pupal relationships you see fairly regularily are very indicitive of Japanese pop culture. They never really amount to anything (as in there's no sex or marriage as is required in all North American opposite sex relationships according to the media). It's not really something North American audiences can relate too, and that's probably why you preceive them as "childish".