Game of Love?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Tenko5

Game of Love?

Post by Tenko5 »

So, basically in every game there is atleast a small love theme with maybe one or two couples or possible couples. I know Suikoden has more characters than most games but still. It seems atleast half of the characters are in love or want another person. This wouldn't be so bad to me if they all didn't act like little kids about it. I will use 3 as an example as to all the different possible relationships/crushes. You don't have to read them all it's just to really show how much there is.
Lets start with the biggest person people seem to have a crush on:
Chris possible romantic entanglments include: Percival, Borus, Leo, Roland (maybe), Nash (if he didn't keep talking about his missus), Fred, Hugo (i know it sounds wierd because he hates her but it lessens at the end and they hug and she blushes quite a bit). That wraps it up for her. I mean she's how old and she doesn't even acknoweldge other people find her attractive really (cept for Nash).
Hugo: Lilly(i dont see it happening but still he seems excited to meet her), Chris (previously stated)
Geddoe: Just Queen right?
Luc: Sarah, I mean does the guy even realize how devoted she is to him? He's even worse than Chris in the obviously catergory.
Thomas: I know he looks young he's not. I mean he seems kind of selfish never even thinking that she really cares for him even a little.
Juan: Kind of creepy but Martha? (remember she hurries to see him?) and Emily (I don't think in the game but she stays with him afterwards for the dojo but I'm sure eventually right?)
Jacques: Aila (I know their young and he hardly talks but the unspoken tension there is just unbelivable.
Estella:She is one of the few I like. Why? because, she's very open about wanting somebody. I doubt she was looking for Gordius village for eductional purposes.
Melville: Though I can't blame him he is a little young.
Fred: Is it just me or is Rico way to young to like him?
Duke: Does Elaine really like him? I think so why else join his group? (And if she does is he so gay he only thinks about Geddoe?)
Reed: Lilly?(atleast samus thinks badly about her he shows no sign)
Tuta: Mio (i know this might be a little wierd for him since he probably feels responsible for not saving her husband but i think shes over it know get with the program Tuta)
Ayame: Watari? (I know she wants to kill him but if he was a real hardcore ninja he would have no bad feelings about killing her. Also, there seems to be some past maybe just me though.)
Roland: I know it's only in the newspaper but Nei?
Franz: I know they are an actual couple stated in the game but, could he be more childishy around Izu?

*As you can see quite a long list with almost nobody else able to see the people who like them or just not acknowleding them. So, the real question is do you like the kiddy love in the game? Do you wish people would admit their feelings? Or just get rid of most of the love? Also, add in your ideas on who could be a couple and who really makes you mad they aren't a couple.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
True Harem Rune

Re: Game of Love?

Post by True Harem Rune »

I think a lot of those are misconceptions, not love or even attraction, mostly endearment. Luc & Sarah is definitely love, Luc is too wrapped around in his own turmoil to love I think, too bad Luc is one my favorite all time characters in the Suikoverse.

And I'll only accept Sierra with Nash, and Miakis with Frey for V. >_> <333 Miakis.
Quing

Post by Quing »

There are a lot of pairs of characters with really downplayed, but hinted at, romantic relationships, and I think that that's quite typical of the Suikoden series' style. The most consistent stylistic thing throughout the series is that the games aren't overdramatized, and I think that the way that romantic relationships are approached reflects that. On the other hand, I think that it's entirely possible that some of the things are simply being read too far into. I will grant, though, that there are some pretty undeniable romantic relationships throughout the series which are pretty downplayed. On a slightly different note, I think that the Nash/Chris thing is stretching it a bit. Sure, Nash flirts with her, but I get the feeling that Nash flirts casually with most pretty women.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

True Harem Rune wrote:I think a lot of those are misconceptions, not love or even attraction, mostly endearment. Luc & Sarah is definitely love, Luc is too wrapped around in his own turmoil to love I think, too bad Luc is one my favorite all time characters in the Suikoverse.

And I'll only accept Sierra with Nash, and Miakis with Frey for V. >_> <333 Miakis.
So, you don't think Saigri and Shirgure can be a couple? Or the completly obvious one of Belcoot and Marina? You're too wrapped up in the one relationship to see the other even more obvious ones. Though I like Frey with Miakis I KNOW it will never happen especailly with Lyon around.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
True Harem Rune

Post by True Harem Rune »

Tenko5 wrote:So, you don't think Saigri and Shirgure can be a couple? Or the completly obvious one of Belcoot and Marina? You're too wrapped up in the one relationship to see the other even more obvious ones. Though I like Frey with Miakis I KNOW it will never happen especailly with Lyon around.
The last I checked a lot didn't mean all. There is no romantic inclination between Saigiri and Shigure, don't know where that came from, Marina's feelings for Belcoot is obvious but he has Viktor's star so he won't ever find love, also I don't recall ever saying that they weren't a couple, or could not be a couple. Don't put words into people's mouth when they haven't say anything remotely similar, it's a nasty and rude habit, mmkay?
genso19

Post by genso19 »

Shigure likes Sagiri, it is hinted when the epilogue (about Shigure) it says that he still looks on Sagiri, and he even frequently fight with Nakula because of nakula's threats on Sagiri
"Hey, listen up! These Godwin traitors got no respect for justice. And sure, sometimes justice is just a little word. But sometimes justice is three feet of sharp steel smashing in your face. Now, let's go get 'em!"
SheenaTheWomanizer

Post by SheenaTheWomanizer »

Ok Shigure and Sagiri always seemed far more like brother and sister to me. He looks after her like an older brother would. Thats how I see it.

And as for the Chris and Nash parring I tottaly don't agree. His flirting only ever makes Chris mad and at one point in Alma Kinan she even tells him she hates him. If you are talking Chris I think the closest you can come is Borus and Percival. And if you want to take the Suikoden III manga into account Percival is the one that comes the closest to anything romantic with Chris.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

SheenaTheWomanizer wrote:Ok Shigure and Sagiri always seemed far more like brother and sister to me. He looks after her like an older brother would. Thats how I see it.

And as for the Chris and Nash parring I tottaly don't agree. His flirting only ever makes Chris mad and at one point in Alma Kinan she even tells him she hates him. If you are talking Chris I think the closest you can come is Borus and Percival. And if you want to take the Suikoden III manga into account Percival is the one that comes the closest to anything romantic with Chris.
You're missing the real point here. I'm not really asking who came the closest to being romantic, I'm asking if you like the kiddy love themes in the game. There is no debating that Borus and Percival both like Chris and neither really get close to her romantically. Why? because she is too ignorant or too stubborn to admit that they do like her. Like many kids and I find it annoying. I think the story could've been better if she would've use their feelings to her advantage or picked one.
SheenaTheWomanizer

Post by SheenaTheWomanizer »

Well I was more giving my opinion on some of the relationships brought up here. And yes I would say I like the way they handle the relationships in the Suikoden world. I like that they mostly just hint at stuff and thats all. As it gives us the players the opportunity to fill in the blanks the way we see fit. As such I feel it kinda gives the characters more depth in that we can use our own imaginations to fill in the missing pieces.
Quing

Post by Quing »

I'd also like to point out that this behavior is not unrealistic. Many people in real life simply don't recognize when others have affection for them and some who do recognize it refuse to acknowledge it either because a) they are afraid either that they're misreading the signals or that a romantic relationship would have adverse consequences, or b) they don't feel anything in return. Honestly, I find Chris' reaction quite understandable and in-character. She's simply not ready for Borus or Percival to mean anything more to her than as her friends and comrades-in-arms, and Nash is just casually flirting with her. Furthermore, her getting romantically involved with one knight would certainly upset the balance within the knights. It's like a rock band where two members get married, then divorced, and then write angry songs about each other, except that in this case, the angry ex-couple could get each other killed. Anyway, there's my rant.
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Quing wrote:I'd also like to point out that this behavior is not unrealistic. Many people in real life simply don't recognize when others have affection for them and some who do recognize it refuse to acknowledge it either because a) they are afraid either that they're misreading the signals or that a romantic relationship would have adverse consequences, or b) they don't feel anything in return. Honestly, I find Chris' reaction quite understandable and in-character. She's simply not ready for Borus or Percival to mean anything more to her than as her friends and comrades-in-arms, and Nash is just casually flirting with her. Furthermore, her getting romantically involved with one knight would certainly upset the balance within the knights. It's like a rock band where two members get married, then divorced, and then write angry songs about each other, except that in this case, the angry ex-couple could get each other killed. Anyway, there's my rant.
Now that's something that's straight to the point. (Although she and Percival make a cuter couple)......Chris is a 'duty-before-anything-else'-type of person....there are similar characters like her.....

I like how you pointed out the real-life situations about it.
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

Suikoden I: Flik + Odessa, Lepant + Eileen, Kirkis + Silvina, Teo + Sonya, Hix + Tengaar

Suikoden II: Riou + Eilie, Apple + Sheena, Flik + Rina, Flik + Meg, Yoshino + Freed, Hix + Tengaar, Hilda + Alex, Clive + Elza, Shin + Teresa, Klaus + Sierra, Kasumi + Sasuke, Jowy + Jilia

Suikoden III: Hugo + Lilly, Geddoe + Queen, Chris + Percival, Roland + Nei, Nash + Sierra, Jaques + Aila, Eliane + Duke, Watari + Ayame, Alanis + Melville, Franz + Iku, Luc + Sarah

Suikoden IV: Louise + Ornan, Cedric + Rachel, Akagi + Mizuki, Aldo + Ted, Gary + Ema, Kika + Edgar, Glen + Katarina

Suikoden V: Prince + Lyon, Sialeeds + Gizel, Sialeeds + Kyle, Logg + Kisara, Lorelai + Zweig, Mueller + Richard ( lol ), Marina + Belcoot, Isabel + Mathias, Nelis + Yahr, Ernst + Norma, Isato + Urda, Flail + Lance, Galleon + Silva
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"
Gen. Dirge

Post by Gen. Dirge »

Vermillion.Twilight wrote:Suikoden I: Flik + Odessa, Lepant + Eileen, Kirkis + Silvina, Teo + Sonya, Hix + Tengaar

Suikoden II: Riou + Eilie, Apple + Sheena, Flik + Rina, Flik + Meg, Yoshino + Freed, Hix + Tengaar, Hilda + Alex, Clive + Elza, Shin + Teresa, Klaus + Sierra, Kasumi + Sasuke, Jowy + Jilia

Suikoden III: Hugo + Lilly, Geddoe + Queen, Chris + Percival, Roland + Nei, Nash + Sierra, Jaques + Aila, Eliane + Duke, Watari + Ayame, Alanis + Melville, Franz + Iku, Luc + Sarah

Suikoden IV: Louise + Ornan, Cedric + Rachel, Akagi + Mizuki, Aldo + Ted, Gary + Ema, Kika + Edgar, Glen + Katarina

Suikoden V: Prince + Lyon, Sialeeds + Gizel, Sialeeds + Kyle, Logg + Kisara, Lorelai + Zweig, Mueller + Richard ( lol ), Marina + Belcoot, Isabel + Mathias, Nelis + Yahr, Ernst + Norma, Isato + Urda, Flail + Lance, Galleon + Silva
But Sasuke is too young!!! It's suppose to be Kasumi + Tir.....
"I wish that days like this could just go on forever....." -Snowe Vingerhut

http://www.kian-sama.deviantart.com | http://saintdouchebag.tumblr.com/
Hey babycakes ;D
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Glen + Katarina
Um, you do realize that they're father and daughter, right? Also, I would consider Thomas and Cecile a couple as well as Shigure and Sagiri.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Vermillion.Twilight

Post by Vermillion.Twilight »

Gen. Dirge wrote:
Vermillion.Twilight wrote:Suikoden I: Flik + Odessa, Lepant + Eileen, Kirkis + Silvina, Teo + Sonya, Hix + Tengaar

But Sasuke is too young!!! It's suppose to be Kasumi + Tir.....
Nah Sasuke has a big crush on her, so I added.

Also
How is Glen Katarina's dad? They are close to the same age.
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream"