Rune symbol location

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Quing

Rune symbol location

Post by Quing »

Okay, so when you've got a rune on you, it show up as its symbol on your body, right? So my question is: does the rune symbol show up on the palm or back of the hand?
Sonic

Re: Rune symbol location

Post by Sonic »

I've wondered this as well. In Suikoden IV, I believe the Rune of Punishment appears on the backside of Lazlo's hand (someone call me on it if I'm wrong). In Suikoden III, even though the rune's graphic doesn't appear on the character model, people can often be observed staring into their palm- the Flame Champion does this in a flashback when he's discussing his rune. In the Suikoden III manga, as well, the True Lightning Rune appears on the back of Geddoe's hand (at least, as far as I've read, maybe in later chapters you can see the rune in a character's palm).

I suppose it either appears in both locations, or changes depending on which Rune it is, or something.
Yeah!
Egan Family

Post by Egan Family »

This can be a 2 way question.

In V when ever the prince would use the dawn rune, it always appeared on the back of the hand. ( To verify, watch cutscene of Prince using dawn rune on Lyon)

Also in all other Suikoden's in the battles when the characters use a rune, the rune symbol looks like its emitting from the back of the hand......but i could be wrong
Attempting to Get 108 SoD in:
Suikoden V
Suikoden II

Finished:
Suikoden III
Suikoden IV
Suikoden (Yep I gots all the original Discs for PS)
Archer

Post by Archer »

Could be they're just looking at the palm of their hand to emphasise the power in it. Its kind of a stereotype thing to do in video games I think, even if the power doesn't have a visible sign like a rune crest. I do recall something in Suikoden 2 about Hoi having Bright Shield drawn on his palm and it getting sweaty and rubbing off but this may just be an error on Hoi's part, no one seemed to correct him when he showed them his palm until then.
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Whenever the rune isn't in use. It can still be visually seen on your hand/forehead as if it were a tattoo.

The Rune of Punishment can be visually seen on Glen's and Lazlo's hand. The Sun Rune on Arshtat's forehead. Freyjadour (the Prince) wore gloves most of the game so chances are it's emblazened on as well.

Possibly due to a budget on the cutscenes, we can't see the Twilight Rune on Sialeeds' or Lyon's hand.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I wonder if only true runes are shown on the backs of hands when not active because you never see a random NPC walking around with a rune tattoo somewhere.
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I'm currently replaying Suikoden 2, and Riou's Bright Shield Rune IS on the palm of his hand. It's mentioned by Shu when he joins.
PSN: FreshMetal80