true runes grant immortality?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Kranach

true runes grant immortality?

Post by Kranach »

ok i know that the true runes doesn't grant immortalty, it only grants agelessness... it also protects it bearer from diseases and from poisons... but a bearer can die by being hurt or what is the right term... ahhh... the same way arshtat died!!! so it doesn't grant immortality but semi-immortality cause you can still die... now i came up with this topic cause i was playing suikoden 4 and i was on the part of recruiting elenor... she poisoned everybody but lazlo was unaffected... i know for a fact that it was because of the punishment rune... so it came tomy attention the same thing that happened in suikoden 1 when ledon poisoned you in suikoden 1 tir already had the rune of life and death... but still he was poisoned... so i was just wandering if anybody knows if all the true runes share this characteristics?
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: true runes grant immortality?

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Kranach wrote:she poisoned everybody but lazlo was unaffected... i know for a fact that it was because of the punishment rune...
Very interesting that you know that for a fact when no True Rune wards against poison.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

cause i have read in some true runes thread that true runes protect it's bearer from natural causes of death like diseases and also from poisons and similar drugs... we should really have one discussion board about true runes where we can freely discuss true runes... cause i don't know where to post questions about true runes...
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

In both scenes, the substance wasn't poison, it was sleep-inducing drugs.

If true runes grant immunity against poison, we won't have the heroes being inflicted with poison in battles without any special enhancements.

Lazlo was probably one of those people with higher tolerance to drugs, similar to how some people get drunk at a much slower rate than others. He can still get poisoned in battles like anyone else, though.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

hmm... poison is not the only bad status effect they get... but in a sense rules in battle can change... cause when in battle a true rune can be weak or strong, in battle the punishment rune can be useless or effective same with the other true runes, but when the bearer use it in the storyline line, it becomes so cool and godlike!!! i mean lazlo wiped an entire fleet!!! but when you fight normal monsters, the high level ones are almost immune to the rune's power...
Occam Arkitect

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I think it's not really "immunity" to status effects, but rather, a person with a true rune can still be affected, but can't reach the point of dying due to the cause.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

cause you can only die if you were stab or slash right... so you can't die from poison??? mortally wounded...
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

I suppose another (somewhat relevant) question I'm thinking of...

Can a True Rune, or piece of a True Rune, with extensive healing powers (like the Bright Shield or Dawn Rune) be used to heal a mortal wound on the bearer? In the case of Frey, he was able to save Lyon with the power of his rune...but would he be able to do the same for himself? If so, could you assume that bearers of healing-type True Runes have near-immortality since they would be able to heal their own mortal wounds?
Mystical

Post by Mystical »

True runes grant agelessness. The bearer will not die of old age, or other natural causes like fever, etc.
Poison isn't considered a natural cause, they can get poisoned and it can kill them in battle.

Twelve wrote:I suppose another (somewhat relevant) question I'm thinking of...

Can a True Rune, or piece of a True Rune, with extensive healing powers (like the Bright Shield or Dawn Rune) be used to heal a mortal wound on the bearer? In the case of Frey, he was able to save Lyon with the power of his rune...but would he be able to do the same for himself? If so, could you assume that bearers of healing-type True Runes have near-immortality since they would be able to heal their own mortal wounds?
No, I don't think so.

[MINOR SPOILER]

An example of that is Riou and the Bright Shield rune. He wasn't able to save Nanami when she got hit by an arrow(bolt?).
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Mystical wrote:
Twelve wrote:I suppose another (somewhat relevant) question I'm thinking of...

No, I don't think so.

[MINOR SPOILER]

An example of that is Riou and the Bright Shield rune. He wasn't able to save Nanami when she got hit by an arrow(bolt?).
The Dawn Rune didn't manage to save Lyon on its own nonetheless. All it did was slow down her death, and unless you successfully summon the miracles from the 108 Stars of Destiny, both of these girls die in their respective games.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

The Dawn Rune didn't manage to save Lyon on its own nonetheless. All it did was slow down her death, and unless you successfully summon the miracles from the 108 Stars of Destiny, both of these girls die in their respective games.
i have to disagree here.
i think the Dawn Rune completely healed Lyon. i'm pretty sure there is even some text in the game about Lyon secretly training to get back in shape after the Rune was used to do a complete heal.
Lyon ends up dying the same way Sialeeds did--suddenly, after using the Twilight Rune--my idea is that they hadn't built up enough "energy" to use the runes and as a result it drains their life energy instead (there are many examples of true rune usages that kill the bearer or make them pass out/weaken).

and Nanami is not saved by the Rune of Beginning combined with the Gathering of the 108 SoD... Gremio and Lyon are definitely revived from that combination, but it's more like Fate/Destiny predetermined based on your game choices, kinda like how the SODs are flexible based on your choices of Valeria/Kasumi and the beasts.