Lym's decision

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
sunstar25

Lym's decision

Post by sunstar25 »

After the Battle of Doraat, Lym decides to go into battle and face her brother. At first, that baffled me. I thought she abandoned all hope and decided to give in to Godwin. Which would of course be a grave dishonor to her deceased mother. Then I realized it was just a plan to be captured on purpose since she knew she would lose.

It just sucks for Lym to have no power whatsoever while the Godwins just smother her hands in blood.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Lym's decision

Post by KFCrispy »

yes, sucks. but all is well after beating the game, eh?
Twelve

Post by Twelve »

I don't really see how her choice to go into battle could be perceived as "giving into Godwin." Unfortunately I can't recall the exact dialogue, but I do remember she was cautioned and discouraged from risking her life in battle (at which point she started throwing around the, "Don't defy me, I'm the queen!" line). Although she wanted badly to escape her circumstances, her decision is a bit selfish: she essentially employed bad tactics to have her soldiers slaughtered, hoping to be rescued by her brother. (Although I supposed one could argue that her soldiers were "Godwin scum" and deserved their fate...)

Lym wasn't as helpless as she appeared. My personal belief is that she was pressured more by political/social forces than physical bullying. During the final confrontation between Gizel Godwin and the prince, Lym understands that the Godwins can not afford to murder her. Her life is guaranteed, she has to deal primarily with injuries to her pride. She goes along with their plot to protect the lives of people valuable to her (like Miakis).
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Deep down, Lym supported her brother's insurrection.

What I meant was, when I first saw that scene I was like "Whoa! Have you really given up?!"

Then I realized she was just playing along with the Godwins so that she can ride into battle she know she'll lose.
Spiraling Entropy

Post by Spiraling Entropy »

I figured she may have had something up her sleeve, but I was just thinking that I hope she knew what she was doing.
In Digitized Remorse
Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Too bad that her plan didn't work though

That Sialeeds....Crazy Lady
Rune

Post by Rune »

Twelve wrote:I don't really see how her choice to go into battle could be perceived as "giving into Godwin." Unfortunately I can't recall the exact dialogue, but I do remember she was cautioned and discouraged from risking her life in battle (at which point she started throwing around the, "Don't defy me, I'm the queen!" line). Although she wanted badly to escape her circumstances, her decision is a bit selfish: she essentially employed bad tactics to have her soldiers slaughtered, hoping to be rescued by her brother. (Although I supposed one could argue that her soldiers were "Godwin scum" and deserved their fate...)

Lym wasn't as helpless as she appeared. My personal belief is that she was pressured more by political/social forces than physical bullying. During the final confrontation between Gizel Godwin and the prince, Lym understands that the Godwins can not afford to murder her. Her life is guaranteed, she has to deal primarily with injuries to her pride. She goes along with their plot to protect the lives of people valuable to her (like Miakis).
It was a bit selfish of her to sacrifice soldiers just to get back to the Prince, but I think she knew that ending the war right then and there would save many more lives than a couple thousand soldiers. Besides, while she might be politically savvy, she's still a child, and children are naturally selfish.