The War Battle that concerns getting those 2 characters SPOI

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
mpieco

The War Battle that concerns getting those 2 characters SPOI

Post by mpieco »

Ok. This is about the War Battle that gets you Kiba and Klaus. The previous battle had Ridley apparently getting upset with Shu, and abandoning the army.

Then, in the next battle you break out into a few groups, and try to surround the Highland units as they charge forward at your hero.

What I am completely and utterly perplexed about is the lack of note that Ridley feuding with Shu was PART OF THE PLAN. Every walkthrough I read is like "And toward the end Ridley has a change of heart!" or "And you get a pleasant surprise when Ridley joins back up!"

I knew Ridley was going to come back. It was obvious it was part of the plan. I can't be the only one who knew this was coming. I know other people weren't naive enough to understand this. I guess I just had to vent. Haha.
Falenan_descent

Re: The War Battle that concerns getting those 2 characters SPOI

Post by Falenan_descent »

Actually, I believed it at first. Ridley was known to be a bit of a lame-o when it came to his kobolds and protecting them. That was part of the plot back in the Two Rivers section of the story. Ridley refused to send his kobolds into a war he thought was unjust. Its possibly due to the fact that Kobolds are a rare race in the Suikoverse. Or, well, occur less naturally than humans do as humans seem to populate every inch of the Suikoglobe.

So, whenever the war battle happens when attempting to push Highland outside of Radat with Kiba and Klaus...it seemed natural to me that Ridley would reject to his kobolds being placed in the frontline. However, I found it MIGHTY suspicious that Shu DID place Ridley's kobolds in front like that. I thought either Shu was extremely racist or that since Shu wasn't present in Two River city and it's events that he didn't really know Ridley's stance.

It was MEANT to be a surprise. So you can't expect EVERYONE to figure it out before it happens.
Sonic

Post by Sonic »

It was fairly apparent to me too that it was all a stunt, but it seemed a bit... elaborate I guess. Having a general and two generic units vanish from battle, and leaving the entire rest of the army in the dark about it seemed over the top. Shu said himself that the Dunan forces could match Highland on equal ground by that point, why not just ram them all to hell, traditional style? Maybe he wanted to ensure Kiba and Klaus would be captured by cutting off their retreat, or fill Highland with false confidence, but still. He could have at least let Riou and Fliktor in on it, or something. It must have been a proper morale killer to see a respected general piss off like that.
Yeah!
Jam-Jul Lison

Post by Jam-Jul Lison »

The thing that got to me about this battle was that the majority of the time I was winning. Even after Ridley and his troops left, the rest of my troops still could have won the battle. But no, Shu has to be an *ss and call us back when we are clearly winning. lol I know it was all probably part of some plan of his but it still always made me a little mad.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Jam-Jul Lison wrote:The thing that got to me about this battle was that the majority of the time I was winning. Even after Ridley and his troops left, the rest of my troops still could have won the battle. But no, Shu has to be an *ss and call us back when we are clearly winning. lol I know it was all probably part of some plan of his but it still always made me a little mad.
What's worse than this, and one of the reasons why I think Mathiu was a much better strategist than Shu was that your army retreats, causing you to engage in another battle. How many soldiers needlessly died? It's the same with the Muse ambush, how many soldiers were put into harms way by going into enemy territory to protect Riou? Shu seemed to have a good handle of things, but didn't seemed concerned about fighting needless battles that cost the lives of his troops.

And he berated Leon for treating people like pawns...heh.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

Its all about perspective.

If you're someone that tends to over analyze any situation than yes, it will become easily apparant that it was a ploy. Kiba was at the fight in Two Rivers City and knows that the Kobolds are a very stubborn race. Shu probobly took that into consideration whenever he was making the plan to hold off their forces in Radat.

However, if you're someone that doesn't look deep into things that seem to make sense and don't overanalyze everything (Like me). You probobly would have realized that Shu deeply cares for the Kobold race and their limited population and so he would be greatly offended that Shu would have placed the Kobold warriors at the front of the lines.

Chances are, you'd just be a really good strategist. :P