Suikoden II Best Ending just doesn't set well with me

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Archer

Re: Suikoden II Best Ending just doesn't set well with me

Post by Archer »

I don't think its just about the bond between Riou and Jowy, I think its just Jowy wanted to be forgiven and Riou is a remarkable boy. He's very forgiving and I think the way he accepted Jowy back is just a testament to his nature and the way he is. As for Nanami, she saw everything in black and white when it came to Riou and Jowy and no matter what Jowy did, he would always be her friend. She wanted the three of them to be together no matter what and I think the ending is nice in that it just gives them all a second chance to have what should have been theirs to begin with. I also see it may have been intended as a possible return from the trio, perhaps in their 30's right after S3 considering the ending left them free to be used in future storylines. If this does happen it might explain the reasoning to the ending, from a game makers point of view. Whether or not the current Suiko team would use this is unknown.
Rudy99

Post by Rudy99 »

Sorry people but I have to disagree. I think that the hole S2 story( or perhaps since the hero and jowy got the runes) was not only about what they think or feel. It was more of the true nature of the runes and the trial of character to gain full control of them. As we know the main nature of bright shield and black sword is to fight. Han and Genkaku fought with each other even since they didnt want to. As it later turned out they have failed in the quest to overcome the runes nature and they sealed them in Toto. The best ending shows us that Hero overcame the rune and was able to forgive Jowy. Nanami by the other hand was thorned between the two and finally, overcome by the thought that her younger brother doesnt need her and getting tired of fighting her best friend decided to go home and wait for the two to come to their sences. And the best ending shows that they all found peace with themselfs and started a new life like the war never happened.At least thats what I think.
Peace
genso19

Post by genso19 »

It's one of the best ending I think

It's both the runes and the bearer
The two runes(as well as the bearers) are destined to fight, the struggle there is, Riou won't accept that while Jowy accepted that the two runebearers must fight. This is the reason or Jowy's reason during the last fight. But since Riou's forgiving nature, he was able to overcome the fate of fighting each other (that's why the 4th spell is Forgiveness Sign

It's a good ending indeed
Suikoden endings are overcoming the runes
Tir overcame the miseries that the Soul Eater does (yeah, when a friend or family dies)
Riou overcame the fate
Dunno about the S3
Lazlo overcame the Atonement period or the fact that the bearer dies when he uses the runes and converted it into Rune of Forgiveness
And Frey overcame the power of the Sun Rune himself ("Always showed itself powerful amongst the other true runes" according to Leknaat)
"Hey, listen up! These Godwin traitors got no respect for justice. And sure, sometimes justice is just a little word. But sometimes justice is three feet of sharp steel smashing in your face. Now, let's go get 'em!"
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

I agree with what you said especially when jowy was sorry for the death of luca blight , ok i understand that he is sorry for killing Anabelle but luca ?????????????
and don't forget that he tried to kill riou in muse , again the death of anabelle is one of the thing that he should pay for it .
i wish he didn't do it , why didn't he drug her or hit her with something and cause her to faint , i really wanted her as a star in the castle , for me thing are not clear in the suikoden world sometimes , the good ending or the bad ending i want the real not ending but beginning .
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I always liked Jowy as a character and thus sparred his life. Jowy in my mind is one of the most interesting and cool characters in Suikoden so that was my reason.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco
executorofbalance

Post by executorofbalance »

Chaco wrote:I always liked Jowy as a character and thus sparred his life. Jowy in my mind is one of the most interesting and cool characters in Suikoden so that was my reason.

I spared his life because he is pretty cool and if he dies, Nanami dies, too. I think the ending with all three of them together, and alive should be the "real/best" ending, don't you guys?
"Even if I close my eyes, the world will not dissapear."
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

I spared his life because he is pretty cool and if he dies, Nanami dies, too. I think the ending with all three of them together, and alive should be the "real/best" ending, don't you guys?
Of course, it's a happy ending and Shu could easily run things without Riou to help so it works well. It is the Canon ending in my mind. ONe thing, I think Jowy should of visited Julia Blight and Pilika.
-Chaco
rhombus

Post by rhombus »

executorofbalance wrote:
Chaco wrote:I always liked Jowy as a character and thus sparred his life. Jowy in my mind is one of the most interesting and cool characters in Suikoden so that was my reason.

The 108 stars and Jowy and Riou's duel technically have nothing to do with Nanami's "resurrection". Given the explanation of her "death" and return, there was nothing magical or mystical about it (especially given the minimum defense rating she needs to have to secretly survive Gorudo's hit). Hence, really, regardless of the outcome of the duel, Nanami would be alive... somewhere. Just that perhaps if Jowy dies, she's off crying alone somewhere and hating war, Riou, whatever...
Erk in danger!
JanusThePaladin

Post by JanusThePaladin »

For some ungodly reason, the last time I played S2 i couldnt save nanami, even though i had met all the requirements.

Anyway, in my mind, the ending to S2 is far to hokey. Its supposed to make the players feel good about themselves and what they've done, especially given that the alternate endings all have some sort of negative consequence on the future of the Dunan republic.

However, in my personal opinion, forcing riou to kill jowy would have had a far more dramatic and meaningful effect on the Suikoden world. If Riou was forced to abandon his patriatism, his home, his family, and watch his sister die, but carried on fpr the sake of the world, it would be more believable and more intune with the story that he could kill his best friend for the sake of the world.
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

However, in my personal opinion, forcing riou to kill jowy would have had a far more dramatic and meaningful effect on the Suikoden world. If Riou was forced to abandon his patriatism, his home, his family, and watch his sister die, but carried on fpr the sake of the world, it would be more believable and more intune with the story that he could kill his best friend for the sake of the world.
Another thing to say here is that, if Riou killed Jowy he would of receved the Black sword rune and the Ruen of begining would of been full, so he would now not have to age, get sick and his rune would be uber strong. However, how is killing Jowy for the sake of the world? If Riou didn't visit Jowy at all Jowy would of died form his wounds and that would be that. If you kill Jowy Riou return to Dunan to lead it. If you let Jowy live, Riou goes off with him and Shu leads it. Either way Jowy dying has nothign to do with the "Sake of the world". Unless Riou didn't know that?
-Chaco
JanusThePaladin

Thats the way i take it. It seems to me that both of them felt that the Rune HAD TO BE united. I also took it that Riou felt it was necessary to remove the final vistage of highland from the world, and finish what he had started with the battle against jowy.

Anyone else think that?
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

Thats the way i take it. It seems to me that both of them felt that the Rune HAD TO BE united. I also took it that Riou felt it was necessary to remove the final vistage of highland from the world, and finish what he had started with the battle against jowy.

Anyone else think that?
I think that Riou felt that way but I don't know why, since as I said it wouldn't of mattered if he killed Jowy or not, Jowy would of died anyway and things would of turned out the same.
-Chaco
JanusThePaladin

Very true, but Riou was not knowledgable of Jowys imminent death until AFTER he met him at the top of the mountain.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

If Jowy did not 'betray' the State army, then Luca would have destroyed Riou's (And Jowy's) army. That is enough reason to keep him alive. It's actually up to you for Riou to accept his fate, there are a few choices you can make that Rious seems to also accept to fight Jowy. You can also hurt Jowy in the duel and still get the good ending.

Of course I'm going to get shot down by a lot of people but (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUuURFod81c) this is proof...
I always take the more aggresive answers with Riou, so that he's a kind man but can also be strict as a leader should be.

The war is over so there isn't much reason to kill Jowy. I really doubt that the war would have ended with the death of Luca. Peace wouldn't least long because the bickering over who would have which city... And if Culgan and Seed + the others didn't believe in Jowy's ambitions then they wouldn't have followed him to the end. They were all loyal, except Yuber.

In my opinion Jowy and Riou were both excellent leaders fighting for peace.
Saori

Post by Saori »

H-honestly... I'm saying this as plainly as I can, I'm a complete sap and the real ending was just something I was craving for after all those battles. Betrayal and death never gives one a good feeling afterwards so with the closure of forgiveness and friendship, I just couldn't help but smile.