All True Runes Cursed?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
TrueRune27

All True Runes Cursed?

Post by TrueRune27 »

Hi to all, just wanna see everyone's opinions on this. Is it true to say that all true rune bearers are "cursed"? For runes such as the soul eater, rune of punishment or rune of beginning it's obvious. What about other runes particularly the elemental runes, other than being ageless is there any other "curse" to it?
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Not so sure about the elemental runes, however the Blue Moon Rune transforms the bearer into a vampire. And even though this is a theory I thought of, but I believe the Beast Rune may be like the magic beast rune, in turning its bearer into an animal. Just a theory though, but the Blue Moon Rune curse is a fact.

Also, though not really known, the Eightfold probably bears a heavy curse as well, if you know much about the Eightfold path of Buddhism. Though slightly offtopic here's a site with some information about it.

http://www.thebigview.com/buddhism/eightfoldpath.html
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

The elemental runes seem to be cursed in much the same way as the two halves of the Rune of Beginning, the five elements battling each other in an eternal power struggle that never truly breaks the balance. Only reason we ended up having 4 of them working together in III was that the bearer of the True Wind rune posed a major threat to all of them. Sun Rune drives its bearer insane without the aid of the Dawn and Twilight runes. I imagine the Gate Rune has a curse as well, possibly again forcing the bearers of the halves to fight each other as the Rune tries to reassemble itself.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

It was never confirmed that all true runes hold curses, but it is an idea well accept in the Suikoden community. And, of course, all the runes we had more contact with had curses.

I would prefer the Beast rune to turn it's bearer berserk from time to time, Ernst turns into a beast, but his mind remain human. I think it would be very cool to have a hero who lost his rational thinking some times and became enraged and bloodthirsty. Maybe its curse could come too with a great increase in lust/sexual desires :P

I think the True Gate split the will of its bearer into two different people (that's why I think Windy/Leeknaat don't age): a good and a bad one.... or it splits the bearer's personality into two (so Windy and Leeknaat would be the same person with split personality, which could be a good explanation on why Windy didn't go after the other half of the gate, rather than the Soul Eater).
carmelenigma

Post by carmelenigma »

I think that other than the obvious 'cursed' runes such as the souleater and the rune of punishment, the typical curse of the runes is immortality. Luc felt that he had never touched the world truly because he had been born with the true wind rune. Although they hold great power it seems like one would grow tired of living so long, thus thinking of their rune as a curse
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Luc only live for about 32 years (or was it 37? I'd hafta check). He wasn't old, by any stretch of the imagination. The curse he suffered was the visions the true rune granted him, visions that all true runes likely confer.
"C'mon, Jeane! The ugly stick had its way with you! Admiiiiiiiiiit it!"
---------------------------------------------------------------
"What do you think,Your Highness? Does kidnapping your little sister sound like fun?"
Leebot

Post by Leebot »

As far as we know, the Dragon Rune doesn't hold any curse (aside from the obvious immortality) - but we haven't really seen that much of it, so it's hard to say for sure.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I'd say that the curse of the Dragon Rune is likely the bearer's *need* to stay alive in order to command and keep the dragons of the current dimension alive. That would mean constantly fearing death in battle, for that would not only cause the death of every dragon in the world, but also whoever is riding them at the time (most likely the entire Dragon Knight force, if we're talking about the bearer dying in combat).

Ok, so it's not exactly a curse, but it's a heavy burden.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Leebot

Post by Leebot »

Hmm, fair enough, not a typical curse, but a "drawback" at the least. Only rune we know about that's left is the Night Rune, though given its relationship to the Sun Rune, I wouldn't be surprised if it holds some sort of curse as well. Maybe it turns its bearer undead like the Blue Moon Rune turns them into a vampire. (Well, that's at least in rune form; the Star Dragon Sword seems to have no curse beyond having to listen to your sword talk to you all day.)

In the end, it kind of makes sense that any True Rune would have a curse or drawback of some sort. They represent the ultimate of something-or-other in the world, and nothing is perfectly good. You take anything to the extreme, you're going to find something bad happening, and that's just what we see with the True Runes.
Archer

Post by Archer »

I think a 'curse' would depend on the emotional nature of the rune and its impact on the planet or minds of the people. The sun rune, representation of one of the planets most powerful forces, its likely that that nature would impose itself on the bearer. Likewise the Moon rune assosciated with all types of lore and mythology. For a force of Nature that cant be quelled by the action of a hero its understandable you'd need to keep the power contained with other forces of nature, ie. Dawn and Twilight. I believe the Elemental True runes, Fire, Wind, Water, Earth and Lightning are most likely the balance for eachother. Without one the others would fail and maybe could result in some kind of setback. Soul Eater and Punishment are obvious, we've all seen it. The curses on those are all down to people and the actions they take but we've seen they can be broken by the right people. (Lazlo) To say they're all cursed...perhaps they all have the potential to give the bearer the idea they're cursed like Luc with his true Wind Rune visions but Luc was very... gifted.
TrueRune27

Post by TrueRune27 »

Well said archer. Somehow or rather it seems similar to the slogan "with great power comes great responsibility" and depending on how each bearer uses or view upon the power of their rune, it can be both a curse and a blessing. I am however more opiniated with the fact that a true rune bears more of a curse as it is not something you could simply get rid of in an instant. Unless it's the star dragon sword in which Viktor happily put away after defeating Neclord.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

But we still don't know what bearing the Night Rune could do to a person. All we know is that the current form it has is that of a sword (and it's not only a part of the sword).

From the arrogance of the Night Rune, one could assume that it has a strong will of its own.
Archer

Post by Archer »

Thats exactly the intrigue of the night rune. It /does/ have a will of its own, a sentient will that we haven't seen the likes of before. Its pretty obvious that each rune has a will but for it to go so far as to incarnate and gain the ability to act in ways that the Star Dragon Sword does is quite unique. I'd say its fairly free from curses in its current state being that it has chosen to work along with the humans instead of simply using them for its own ends. Of course it has that pompous air of superiority and looks down on the humans as lesser beings but I don't see it trying to control anyone. If ALL the runes are working towards some kind of goal I'd say it would be safe to assume that the night rune has its own agenda or purpose, but I digress.

Do you think that to receive the bad side of the rune that you have to bear it? Recalling the souls taken by the Beast rune and Soul Eater I'd say some runes carry an aura of tragedy that can effect anyone but I'm not sure about using the term 'curse'. Lets look at the rune of beginning. In its two halved states it had no negative effects on its bearers apart from fatigue on two young boys who were novices. Infact the Bright Shield rune even protected Riou and the people around him on several occasions because of the runes nature. Maybe Riou and Jowy fought because of the nature of sword and shield, Jowy being the sword that wanted to break away from Riou due to festering negative emotions like jealousy and Riou defending himself, chipping away at Jowy with his naive determination. I wouldn't call that a curse, although there was a deal of manipulation via the runes, I'd call it the ups and downs of friendship.
Leebot

Post by Leebot »

Archer wrote:Do you think that to receive the bad side of the rune that you have to bear it? Recalling the souls taken by the Beast rune and Soul Eater I'd say some runes carry an aura of tragedy that can effect anyone but I'm not sure about using the term 'curse'.
You've probably heard the term "jinx" before, but most people just think it means the same thing as curse. In actuality, it's a good way to describe how these runes act. You see, while a a curse directly harms the person it's on, a jynx primarily targets everyone around them. For instance, while the Soul Eater and Rune of Punishment have a similar thirst for life, the Rune of Punishment places a curse on its bearer and keeps jumping around to eat many. The Soul Eater, on the other hand, places a jinx on the bearer and absorbs the souls of many people around them, while the bearer himself lives a long time.

A jinx is often considered to be a special type of curse, though it's not a typical one. So, it's probably still fair to group drawbacks like these under the term "curse" as well.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Archer wrote:Lets look at the rune of beginning. In its two halved states it had no negative effects on its bearers apart from fatigue on two young boys who were novices. Infact the Bright Shield rune even protected Riou and the people around him on several occasions because of the runes nature. Maybe Riou and Jowy fought because of the nature of sword and shield, Jowy being the sword that wanted to break away from Riou due to festering negative emotions like jealousy and Riou defending himself, chipping away at Jowy with his naive determination. I wouldn't call that a curse, although there was a deal of manipulation via the runes, I'd call it the ups and downs of friendship.
The fighting between two friends is actually quite representative of the nature of both the Bright Shield and Black Sword runes. They take the Creation Myth to the extreme by putting the bearers of the two runes at the heads of opposing armies (not just once, but twice).