Suikoden Armies

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Suikoden Armies

Post by dragonmasterx »

What are the various armies called? I remember in Suikoden 2 US, the whole Allied Army is a company.

Let's consider the big army battles in Suikoden V, in which each has group has 3 commanders. What are the groups called in the game?
Squad
Platoon
Company
Battalion
Regiment
Brigade
Division
Legion
Unit

Or if you don't remember, what do you think they should be called?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

hm you should consult a military website for this!....
Max-T

Post by Max-T »

Yah, I agree... They should just all be called "Army", I don't wanna be seeing the word "Platoon" in Suikoden, for some reason, just seems outta place.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

dragonmasterx wrote:big army battles in Suikoden V, in which each has group has 3 commanders
I would call that a Regiment myself. In S3, I called the groupings ____'s Unit, for example Futch's Unit. In S1 I called them Squads.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Dictionary.comsays about company:
Military.
a. the smallest body of troops, consisting of a headquarters and two or three platoons.
b. any relatively small group of soldiers.
c. Army. a basic unit with both tactical and administrative functions.

Wiki says a company consists of a hundred soldiers.

But the Orange Company surely had more than a hundred soldiers.

Makes me wonder how much research the Suikoden II translator(s) did on military hierarchies before choosing the word company. Or maybe they just chose company on the whim that no one will care(except me).