A question about the Gate Rune Wars

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Iris

A question about the Gate Rune Wars

Post by Iris »

Specifically, why it's called the Gate Rune Wars.

Windy started the whole thing to get the Souleater so she can take revenge on Harmonia for massacring her village, right? Yes, she does have a part of the Gate Rune, but aside from bringing Gremio back at the end, the Gate Rune itself had no real impact on the War. Plus, weren't most people unaware of the whole True Rune deal? Windy was obviously unaware of the Sovereign Rune (or at least it's powers), but Windy isn't the most intelligent person anyway.

Since the Gate Rune, as far as I know, had no actual impact or presence in the war, why is it the official name for the war? Wouldn't the Toran Liberation War have been more appropriate?
Feldoon

Post by Feldoon »

Personally, I agree with what you call it.

I mean the other wars make sense, name-wise. Just not the Gate Rune War.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

there is a battle that yuber and windy summons a lot of mobs, i sopose yuber uses his eightfold and windy his half gate rune

leknaat with his half gate rune cant bring back all the mobs, then joshua helps with his dragon rune

maybe for this, didnt know :?
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
Night

Post by Night »

I assumed it was because, in a way, the war was between Leknaat and Windy. You had Leknaat providing cryptic clues (and Luc!) to help the hero and his army defeat Windy's evil (or nefarious) schemes. So in a way it was one half of the Gate Rune against the other half.

However, surely it would have a much more common name in the game world of Suikoden where this information isn't widely known. That doesn't make any sense then.
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
future_suikoden_writer

Post by future_suikoden_writer »

the name of the war came from the runes of windy and leknaat.yeah they used both of that on the battle of monster(yuber/windy=leknaat/joshua)..

but it started because of windy and leknaat,leknaat foretold the tenkai(mcdohl) to be the one who needs to be or will be used by destiny..

in short,the gate rune is the main cause.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Hmm... I thought the Souleater and Windy's quest for it would be the main cause. And either way, why call it The Gate Rune Wars when the general populace is unknowing of the True Rune parts of the war? The Dunan Unification War wasn't the Rune of Beginning War even though Bright Sword and Black Shield's curse was the reason it continued to go on, and the Island Liberation War/Kooluk Southern Expansion wasn't called the Punishment War, even though Cray's ambition was to retrieve the RoP.
SuikoRune

Post by SuikoRune »

Iris wrote:Hmm... I thought the Souleater and Windy's quest for it would be the main cause. And either way, why call it The Gate Rune Wars when the general populace is unknowing of the True Rune parts of the war? The Dunan Unification War wasn't the Rune of Beginning War even though Bright Sword and Black Shield's curse was the reason it continued to go on, and the Island Liberation War/Kooluk Southern Expansion wasn't called the Punishment War, even though Cray's ambition was to retrieve the RoP.
The only reason why I could think that they would call it the "Gate Rune Wars," is because of the Gate Rune's owners.

The concept behind this might be that, with all wars, there is usually a hidden objective outside of the populace's grasp of what exactly is going on. The public would see this as the Toran Liberation Wars due to the unrest they were experiencing. To them it was a matter of gaining freedom and expansion for that freedom. Because the common knowledge of True Runes is so limited amongst the populace, they wouldn't know to see that as a factor. Let alone which runes had played what part.

The way I would see it is that historians would come to call it the Toran Liberation Wars. But those who are "in the know" would be the ones calling it the "Gate Rune Wars." Same goes for any of the wars in Suikoden's history thus far. This is just a theory I have though, when compared to concepts of real wars. Ultimately in the history of Suikoden, humans and human-like races are just tools of the True Runes. It is also my opinion, that this realisation is discovered by Luc, and thus sparks his intrest in destroying the True Wind Rune...

Although I haven't had a chance to finish 3, and am basing that last part on what i've read on this site.
The Prophet

Post by The Prophet »

Exactly. It is called the Gate Rune Wars because behind the scenes Windy, bearer of half the Gate Rune, conspired against the Scarlet Moon Empire, causing strife and initiated a rebellion. And on the other side, another Gate Rune bearer, Leknaat, conspired to stop her sister by prompting the gathering of an army of rebels to quell the strife. So, in fact, it was a Gate Rune War.
True Rune

Post by True Rune »

Was Windy's quest for the souleater really that an important issue during the war? I agree that it is an important plot point, but there was already a lot of unrest in the Scarlet Moon Empire before McDohl took leadership. Odessa was already starting a rebellion. Pretty much every member of the 108 stars of destiny didn't really seem all that concerned with the soul eater. Viktor, Flik, Mathiu and so many others were out to stop the corrupt empire. Only those like Cleo and Gremio even seemed to know who Windy was. I think calling it Gate Rune war misrepresents what is was really all about. Looking back, if Windy would've been killed by Ted when he was taken to the palace at the beginning the game, I don't think the events of the war would have changed much. McDohl was destined to lead the freedom fighters with or without the soul eater.
Rezard

Post by Rezard »

All the corruption in the empire is due to Windy influence, Barbarosa let her do as she please and also abandoned the government to others, that's why a liberation army was formed.

Does Windy and Leeknaat ever appear at the same place and time? Do they ever confront each other? Like Persmega and Yuber?
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

yes, in the last great battle, when windy and yuber call forth a lot of mobs and leknaat and joshua sends them to the world of emptyness
Esnow

Post by Esnow »

I cant really remember but is there another name given to the Gate Rune Wars like say The Toran Liberation War? Well, yeah I agree with most people that it's called the Gate Rune Wars because of the final battle where Yuber and Windy summoned alot of monsters and they were banished by Joshua and Leknaat.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Yeah, but my question is why it's called that if the general populace has no idea about the True Runes? I know perfectly well why WE call it that, but as far as the Toran people are concerned, it had nothing to do with True Runes because they "don't exist". It'd be a huge shock to the system if Lepant suddenly told everyone about Leknaat, Windy, and Tir's Runes. If the guy's not willing to punish Sanchez for war crimes, why would he just go ahead and say "Oh yeah, the reason this entire war started was because the Court Magician wanted to get a True Rune so she could have revenge on Harmonia for destroying her village and family 300 years ago."
kharaa

Post by kharaa »

Because it was named the Gate Rune Wars, by.. the goverment? I dunno.

maybe to lepant it sounded cooler than toran liberation war.

It's all just speculation imo.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Iris wrote:Yeah, but my question is why it's called that if the general populace has no idea about the True Runes? I know perfectly well why WE call it that, but as far as the Toran people are concerned, it had nothing to do with True Runes because they "don't exist". It'd be a huge shock to the system if Lepant suddenly told everyone about Leknaat, Windy, and Tir's Runes. If the guy's not willing to punish Sanchez for war crimes, why would he just go ahead and say "Oh yeah, the reason this entire war started was because the Court Magician wanted to get a True Rune so she could have revenge on Harmonia for destroying her village and family 300 years ago."

yes, agree, but that name appears in the books? or the common ppl know that name too?