the strongest true rune so far?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Ash

Post by Ash »

Sovereign Rune almost has to be the strongest as it is untouchable by the other runes. I understand what people are saying as all are equal but just say that all 27 would meet in the same place for a showdown, the bearer of the Sovereign rune would most likly be the only one to make it out alive. But as stated before it would then just come down to the strenght of the bearer.
kharaa

Post by kharaa »

I think the sovereign rune's only power is lordship over his subjects..
jonathan_priest

Re: the strongest true rune so far?

Post by jonathan_priest »

One of the things I'm curious about is that all the True Runes, (at least from the first three games) have some form of transformation. The Sovereign turned Barbarosa into the Golden Hydra, the Beast Rune became that big honking two-headed wolf, and Luc became the Wind Phoenix...can't remember its real name. That seems to have been abandoned in the later games but just interested in whether all runes can create that transformation in their owners and if so, what special requirements must be implemented in the runes we haven't seen make that change yet?

As for the power of the Gods therefore making all the true runes equal, I would disagree. Compare Baccus with Zeus...total curb stomp. that's why I think there are some degrees of rune power stronger than others. We've seen the True Wind wipe out most of the Harmonian forces in S2, the True Fire devastate the Harmonians and Grassland forces in S3, as well as the True Water flash freeze miles and miles of terrain in the Sindar Ruins, the Rune of Punishment wipe out whole armadas and beat back a power wave of pure rune energy, the Sun Rune destroy a whole country. All these represent insane levels of power, yet in my mind, the Sovergn Rune is probably the highest as it is uneffected by all magic. I think that gives it a significant edge imo.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Red rune

Post by Red rune »

Only S4 and S tactics didnt have a true rune "transformation", although in S5 the sun rune transformed into something else.

BTW, the sun rune, souleater or the rune of punishment would probably have my vote when it comes to raw power. I dont include the rune of change because its power(based on what small information is given to us) seems to be more on progress of evolution and human(and other intelligent species) intelligance.
I'm lvl 99! plus my lvl68 party members
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

All of them have unique powers, i doubt there's a strong rune against the other
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Shinsengumi wrote:All of them have unique powers, i doubt there's a strong rune against the other
See, this is what's bothered me about the Moon Rune vs the Night Rune. The Star Dragon Sword being a true rune transformed is able to defeat what the Moon Rune can accomplish by killing vampires. If that kind of relationship exists between those two runes where the Night is clearly superior to the Moon, then it can be argued that that relationship extends to other runes as well.

Personally, I never liked the Night Rune beating the very thing the Moon Rune creates just because it isn't a very strong showing for the Moon Rune imo
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Perhaps the Moon Rune itself willed Neclord's demise? As far as vampires go, he wasn't the chosen one. Sierra did her share of the work, too.

We do not see the Night Rune "beating" the Covern Mistress now, do we?
Shinsengumi

Post by Shinsengumi »

Well, there is a relationship between the moon rune & night rune & the sun rune remember we know fragments of information about the runes .

When sierra was in the dunan unifecation war the moon rune was in her right hand in falena's civil war arshtat had the sun rune on her forehead, i think the night rune can be on the left hand {leave star dragon sword out for now} , lets talk about the powers of the three runes, in falena's books something is mentioned about the sun & night runes
and there past, again not many information is known, in dunan i don't think the night rune is superior on the moon rune at all , there's another explanation the night rune sealled the powers of neclord and the creatures of the night, vampires & so created by the moon rune not the rune itself, my theory circles around the sun,moon,night relationship.

The sun rune reflects some of it's powers to the moon rune and the night rune embraces it.
"In war, truth is the first casualty" ~ Aeschylus
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re:

Post by KFCrispy »

kharaa wrote:I think the sovereign rune's only power is lordship over his subjects..
please actually read about what the Sovereign Rune does before trying to argue something about it: http://www.suikosource.com/history/truerunes/

as for Night and Moon, the Night being able to destroy vampires has nothing to do with Neclord having the Moon Rune. i think there is a creation-destruction relationship between Moon and Night... the Moon has the ability to create and sustain vampires while the Night Rune can destroy them. so these runes do not have a direct superior-inferior relationship, they just have different roles. i doubt the Night Rune could "destroy" the Moon Rune in a battle... i mean you can keep cutting them down but the Moon Rune can keep on creating (or converting people).
Nemesis

Post by Nemesis »

I actually thought the soul eater was the strongest... but since there are many other good facts and reasons, I have no clue now. :(
Nick Bruiser
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

It depends on the situation. In a large battle i would say the sun rune or rune of punishment. One on one I would probably say soul eater. Also, does the sovergien rune just protect it's bearer or does it stop all spells around it?
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

we don't know of the extent of abilities of the Sovereign Rune; it was barely even mentioned in Suikoden I. i'd imagine it can do much more than just protect the bearer. but i've always wondered how the Sovereign Rune would protect against effects caused by magic, such as earthquakes (earth splits beneath the person's feet), fire (who can survive extreme heat), etc... perhaps it can actually "undo" things caused by magic though.
Tenko5

Post by Tenko5 »

I thought it would act mostly like silent lake. You know stop all magic in a certain area from being cast. But i guess we don't really know.
Those who know much suffer much. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
Why can't you be more sincere and earnest?! Like me!
Kyle: Yeah, how's that working out for you again?
suiko2fan2
Guide Writer

Post by suiko2fan2 »

Maybe this has already been talked about,but i couldn't find it.

I suppose i can agree that all the True Runes are equal in power more or less. Some do have different purposes as mentioned in many people's posts. However, i am not completely sold on it yet? I have one more issue to work out and it involves the Rune of Beginning, specify the Bright Shield and Black Sword.

When Neclord unleashes his True Rune's (BMR) attack on Riou an Nanami. The Bright Shield protects both of them from being turned into zombies or whatever. Now that surprises the heck out of Neclord as he said something to the gist of "this was the rune's truest greatest power". Also, we learn Jowy had been using his rune 'successfully' to fend off the Beast Rune for nearly the 2nd half of the game.

Now with these 2 examples. these halves of a True Rune we fending off very very power complete True Runes. Not to say that it did not take a physical toll on Riou and jowy, Obviously it did, it nearly killed them ;-)

But the point remains the same, they did it, and in jowy's case over a long period of time. This would lead one to think that shield and sword runes are not only powerful,(not as much as complete TR) But powerful enough they can hold there own against one for a while, where as other child runes may not. (obviously other factors like, who the bearers are and willpower could be an issue, but even if removed the human factor i think these 2 half runes could get the job done)

Really i suppose i am trying to say if those two half runes are strong enough to "nearly" compete with other true runes, it makes me wonder powerful a complete Rune of Beginning really is...hmmmm...what do you think?
I will establish one mighty nation in this land. A single, powerful nation, born of force and wielding force. That is the one and only way of freeing this land from war.

Best Suiko FanFic:
www.fanfiction.net/s/5194891/1/The-Puni ... of-the-Sun
Chaco

Post by Chaco »

we don't know of the extent of abilities of the Sovereign Rune; it was barely even mentioned in Suikoden I. i'd imagine it can do much more than just protect the bearer. but i've always wondered how the Sovereign Rune would protect against effects caused by magic, such as earthquakes (earth splits beneath the person's feet), fire (who can survive extreme heat), etc... perhaps it can actually "undo" things caused by magic though.
Maybe a True Runes power depends on the person using it? Like with normal runes, giving a normal Wind rune to Luc or Crowley will be much more effective then giving it to say Viktor. Maybe in someone elses hands the Sovereign Rune can do more.

I think out of the 5 elemental runes (Fire, Water, Earth, Wind and Lighting) the True Wind Rune is the strongest and the true Water is the weakest. The other 22 it's very hard to say but the Sun Rune was the hardest final boss and The Rune of Beginning seem to beable to out beat other runes in power. The Soul Eater is another that seems to be quite powerful and it doesn't have physical negative effects on it's users that the other two have.
These wings arn't just for show you know!
-Chaco