the strongest true rune so far?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

well the powers of eightfold rune are 90% unknown

going off topic, a teory of mine is that yuber was "good" and then ekiped eightfold rune from "pesmerga's people" and the power of the rune changed his mind from order to chaos or something like that

the title says the strongest rune, the normal runes are the most avaible, but if you are a mage or a powerfull warrior and want more power, you will try to obtain the "best" rune ( if exists a "best" ), and that gives you a direction, a true rune that you can "easily and fully" control

but the true runes of suikoden normally are gived by destiny, luck, bad luck, etc, but not from searching the "convenient" rune

that makes think, maybe could be a future plot, or the misterious plot from stars like jeane etc
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
abs

Post by abs »

true lightning rune is the best the strongest of all the elemental runes and i say also the best of all the true runes and i think geddoe has masyered that rune since he had position of taht rune for a very long time as well
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

[
On the topic of powerful runes and bearers, we all know they are intended to be equal in terms of raw power in a story context but realistically it is silly to try and compare since they may have different uses.

For instance, you have soul eater which is pretty much all offense. Same with Fire and Lightning true runes. Punishment does damage both ways. Water dominates in healing capabilities. Wind and Earth are mixed and it is even suggested that the sun rune can have very heavy offensive or healing capabilities. Bright Shield and Dawn rune are unique runes tied to a true rune that take healing and defensive priorities while their counterparts the Black Sword and Twilight runes are offensively minded as a means of balance. Most of the other runes (Gate, Dragon, Circle, Change etc) are unknown or not enough is known to make any assumptions.

Does that make water absolutely useless and weak? Nope. It is powerful at what it does best. some of the other true runes out there are probably not offensive in nature either but hold its own properties. Each will be better at something than another and have its pros and cons.

And as mentioned the bearer itself can have a large impact. Look at Suiko III. You have Hugo and Chris who are not particularly good mages and don't have the best affinity with runes to begin with. It makes perfect sense you are going to have Geddoe have a better affinity and more damage from his rune.

But it is not just limited to duration with a rune. Someone with a rune and is either a naturally good mage will probably be better and seem stronger than someone not inclined. Luc and Sasarai are best examples here in that they have good affinity with their elements. They have high magic and thus not only have more powerful spells but can cast more often than the others. Their runes might seem quite weak in the hands of someone who was not nearly as inclined toward it.

And III has the best examples considering it has the most runes and a good means to compare. Don't even mention Tir on his being powerful with soul eater despite not being a true mage type and being a recent bearer.... he is statistically the most broken character of any Suiko game.
Last edited by Dura Sinai on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

In pure destructive capabilities, I would have to say that the Sun Rune causes the most damage. It wiped out a whole nation. Followed by the True Fire Rune which blew up part of an army. Then The Punishment, it only destroyed some fleets. Those would be the demonstrated destructive powers of some runes so far. there could be other more powerful spells of the rune that we haven't seen.

In the hands of some one truly skilled the could probably blow up half a continent, but they would take themselves out as well. Look at what Crowly and Mazus did to each other. Maybe if Luc had waited another 50 - 100 years he would have more mastery of his rune and could have blew it up easier. But I suppose Luc wasn't very patient.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Well, consider that when out of control the True Fire Rune scorched a pretty big chunk of the grasslands.

A rune out of control of its bearer in any case seems to be the absolute most destructive. Same with the Sun rune in that its bearers seem unable to truly wield it in most cases.

So the runes all are capable of massive destruction. Luc's plan had nothing with his own mastery but rather releasing a huge among of unharnessed power by destroying his. It would have theoretically wiped out Zexen, the Grasslands and at least a good chunk of Harmonia.

Which goes back to in reality the runes are equal. It's a major point of the game actually. However, in terms of gameplay it is going to rely a lot on the individual carrier.
Eroschilles

Post by Eroschilles »

Dura Sinai wrote:Well, consider that when out of control the True Fire Rune scorched a pretty big chunk of the grasslands.

A rune out of control of its bearer in any case seems to be the absolute most destructive. Same with the Sun rune in that its bearers seem unable to truly wield it in most cases.

So the runes all are capable of massive destruction. Luc's plan had nothing with his own mastery but rather releasing a huge among of unharnessed power by destroying his. It would have theoretically wiped out Zexen, the Grasslands and at least a good chunk of Harmonia.

Which goes back to in reality the runes are equal. It's a major point of the game actually. However, in terms of gameplay it is going to rely a lot on the individual carrier.
My point was that if Luc had fully mastered the Wind Rune, he probably wouldn't have needed the other runes to unleash alot of destruction. But the runes seem only to be equal in power when facing each other. I was comparing damage that they could do to things other than each other.
Dura Sinai

Post by Dura Sinai »

Well, actually his plan to destroy the rune was not a matter of mastery or not. The idea of needing the other runes was based on only another true rune could destroy a true rune. Much like how a diamond is the only substance hard enough to cut another diamond. Even someone like Mazus or Crowley would not have the power to destroy a true rune by command or effort on their part.

And again when you take out the bearer and just have raw power, the runes are going to be equal in their impact. The games rely a lot on the concept of balance.

Just because we see certain properties that are quite destructive in some games doesn't mean another is not capable of this. There are very few situations of a true rune losing all control and causing massive damage. This is logical considering there wouldn't be many people left if this was a common occurrence.

Now do I think the Sun Rune has great destructive potential based on its instability when a human bears it? Yes. It has the tendency to act destructively. A rune with a chosen bearer in control is more likely to be restrained, but certainly in a given situation could be forceful enough to wreck a continent.
Rune of Illusion

Post by Rune of Illusion »

Durai Sinai makes good points, still the Sovereign Rune cancels out all runic power. When I say all runes, I mean every rune including true runes.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Sabrewulf

Post by Sabrewulf »

If True Runes were to fight (True Runes themself, not True Rune bearers) it would most likely end up in with a stalemate.
The fight between the original Shield and Sword prove it.
The only possible exception would be a fight between 2 elemental True Runes.
Master Ted

Post by Master Ted »

The most powerful display of raw might from a True Rune thus far has been the Sun Rune. It completely evaporated all of Falena once. The True Fire, Rune of Punishment, and the Soul Eater have proven to be the most powerful in terms of straight foward might thus far in the series.

Though Sasarai did use the True Earth Rune to crush an entire brigade with ease.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

This is kinda a funny subject. The Gate Rune able to bring people from death and summon tens of thousands demons. Sun Rune able to reduce entire kingdoms to ashes. I beleive that the true runes are meant to be equally powerful, but the Soul Eater is my vote. It has'nt been used on a grand scale yet but the power to control life and death maybe even the ability to affect the mortality of other true rune bearers. You never know
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
modi

Post by modi »

i think as dura sinai said we don't have enoug information about the gate rune , thus you can't say it's only power is to summon monsters and that's it because any bearer who mastered his rune oblirate these monsters easily , regarding the sovereign rune it's power may be of cancelling all runic power but doesn't this apply only when the targeted is the bearer ( i haven't played suikoden I so i can't judge , correct me please if I were wrong )if that was true doesn't have any attacking or defending powers if not then the bearer is like someone who have no rune kill him with a few soldiers and that's it .
so i don't think that we have enough information to compare runes with each other
Rune of Illusion

I'm not quite sure what you are saying Modi, but the Sovereign Rune allows its bearer to turn into a golden hydra so that is the offensive part of it. It also makes the bearer immune to magic as well. So it cancel a runic power, grant immunity to runic magic anyway, and grant the ability to turn into a hydra not to mention no apparent drawbacks that is pretty powerful don't you think? The Blue Moon Rune makes its bearer immune to magic and physical attacks, but seemed to be overcome by the Night Rune not to mention it drives its bearer crazy until the bearer can control it.
you can learn more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Hi Modi. In response to your post. I agree there is'nt a single true rune that has had it's full power used or explained. I was simply pointing out what I DID know about the Gate Rune and it's power. The Soveriegn rune however is starting to get my vote. I mean immunity to all runes and magic even true runes cant stand up to it. And a golden hydra...come on!?!! I dont see Leknaat turning into a dragon do you. But seriously True Runes give you power over others. But is'nt it the ability to survive that counts in the long run. And besides is'nt the sovereign rune the symbol of absolute RULE. It stands to reason.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.
Rune of Illusion

Rune of Illusion wrote:I'm not quite sure what you are saying Modi, but the Sovereign Rune allows its bearer to turn into a golden hydra so that is the offensive part of it. It also makes the bearer immune to magic as well. So it cancel a runic power, grant immunity to runic magic anyway, and grant the ability to turn into a hydra not to mention no apparent drawbacks that is pretty powerful don't you think? The Blue Moon Rune makes its bearer immune to magic and physical attacks, but seemed to be overcome by the Night Rune not to mention it drives its bearer crazy until the bearer can control it.
Correction: the hydra should be a three headed golden dragon.