Story ratings for each Suikoden

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Two notes:

1. This topic asks readers to rate the games' respective plots, yes? Gameplay and the other aspects should not affect ratings. Conversely, simply because have a better plot, it doesn't qualify them as being wholly better than the other.

2. It might be a good idea to start substantiating your numbered ratings, or this topic might end up as a listing topic.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:-------Plotline Spoilers------

Lazlo was backed by the Kingdom of Obel cause he had the RoP and then SOME allies followed cause the allies knew and respected King Lino. Lazlo would have never succeeded without Obel's Royal family's help. Heck they even had the castle ship for him.
He was still not a prince. Speaking of backups being vital to the heroes' success, the others had their own as well, even if they didn't get an entire Kingdom. Hero II with his assortment of City-States and Shu, the Flame Champion successor riding on the original's legacy, etc.

Spoilers for S5 ahead. You have been warned.
I'm not done with suikoden5, ...at Lelcar.
On the other side of the prism, what had Godwin done since taking over the castle? Not ONE ENTIRE town (besides Sol-falena of course) supported him from the start. Thus, he had trouble putting other towns completely under his control and never gained any strong allies. The prince,so far, is basically fighting the army that Godwin was hiding in his back pocket (somehow) all this time plus people who got forcibly drafted.
I agree the recruitments are tricky, but way too many "Oh! It's the Prince!!!" , feel right at home, (some characters)hmmmm Ok! I'll let you befriend me cause i'm so honored to be with the prince!, etc... Just way too many "suck-ups" and the enemy force is weak to begin with.

Scarlet moon empire, Highland empire, Harmonian empire/Sarah's army, Koluuk Empire, and then some stupid noble that took over your castle. Which one doesn't fit with the rest?
It was very obviously made known in the game that the Falenan map was divided into supporters of Godwin and Barows' factions from the lengthy beginning. Yes?

Similarly, we know the individual factions maintained their own armed forces, so it's not like the Godwin's army came out of thin air.

That said, Highland was NOT an Empire.
Deathblow_Georg

Post by Deathblow_Georg »

SPOILERS

Lol no it most deff was not. Anyway whats this now about being a prince makes it easier for you to build an army yeah well maybe under normal cercumstance but theres a whole lot in that family that id love to get into and prove you wrong but cant talk about game play so i'll just talk about how in three you have the son of a leader of a grass land tribe, a head of war office for an entire country, and a small but effective scouting team at your use. [/spoiler]
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Why would you want to face the same type of country?
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

Hm... Storyline wise... out of ten...

Suiko 1 - Eight or Seven, it was good, interesting story.

Suiko 2 - Eight, storywise is quite good.

Suiko 4 - One... This didn't really have much of a co-hesive plot in my humble opinion, it felt fragmented building up to things that never transpired almost like a write with so many ideas he throws them all in at once and doesn't quite tie them up properly.

Suiko 5 - Nine, not quite perfect there are some moments where you had to scratch your head and wonder what happened but I thought the story was well thought out and well written and overall was one of the best of the series.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Nevermind.
Last edited by Jowy Atreides on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
RVallant

Post by RVallant »

Well he did say rate it not explain it :P But yeah...
Iris

Post by Iris »

Suikoden I: 9
Suikoden II: 7
Suikoden III: 10
Suikoden IV: 8.5
Suikoden V: 7
Last edited by Iris on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ascending_poet

Post by ascending_poet »

Sadly I haven't had the chance to play Suikoden III or IV. Firstly, I think Tactics' story and characters are at best bland. I struggled to sustain interest in what was happening due to the fact it was so boring. It also ends so soon.

Suikoden II is paced well, has a strong story anchored by likeable characters, and is one of the most accessible RPGs that exists. A lot of my friends who are ignorant towards the genre gave it a go and were pleasantly surprised by it.

Suikoden V, as I've said, sometimes feels like a slightly different Suikoden II, but the writing and characterisation is memorable. There were some strikingly powerful moments, too.
27x4=108

Post by 27x4=108 »

Suikoden I: 7 ( could be better, be better done )

Suikoden II: 9 ( for me its "almost" perfect, cryied sometimes )

Suikoden III: 9 ( maybe is worst than II, but its my favourite )

Suikoden IV: 7 ( could be better, same as I )

Suikoden V: 8 ( complete, sadly didnt have all the magic from II )

all suikodens are a 10 in front of FF or other rpgs, but i considered the puntuation thinking suikoden II is the best, and 10 is only for "the last", within harmonia xD
Sorry for my very bad english! :S
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

I believe the order of the storylines from best to worst would have to be; II, V, I, III, IV, With IV being the only truly bad storyline. I haven't played tactics though, so idk where it would fit in.
Auragaea

Post by Auragaea »

SI: 7
SII: 7
SIII: 10
SIV: 7.5 (second time around)

Haven't played Tactics or V yet.
Hmm... Didn't make much money. Next time, let's get rich! - Rachel
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

... Please tell me you didn't just give II a rating lower than IV. In fact, how can you give it less than any of the other ones, hands down it is the best story.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Uh, haha, yeah. That's YOUR opinion, dude, not his.
TOAMN

Post by TOAMN »

True, my bad, I'm jsut an oppininated kinda guy.
Sniper_Zegai

Post by Sniper_Zegai »

Suiko 1 9/10, Suiko 2 10/10 Suiko 3 7/10 Suiko 4 7/10 Suiko 5 8/10 Suiko Tactics 6/10.
PSX Emulator Questions are here, if you have problems. Ask and hopefully I can help. Formerly known as Seifer by the way.