Is the rune of punishment as powerful as the sun rune?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
owen18

Is the rune of punishment as powerful as the sun rune?

Post by owen18 »

i really did not play suikoden IV... could you tell me if the rune of punishment powerful as the sune rune?
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

All true runes are equal in power.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Leeknaat mentions the fact that the Sun Rune is formidable, even in comparison to other True Runes. It needs two Unique Runes to keep it's power in check, after all.
Hmm...
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

xXSqualleoNXx wrote:Leeknaat mentions the fact that the Sun Rune is formidable, even in comparison to other True Runes. It needs two Unique Runes to keep it's power in check, after all.
With that she never meant that the Sun Rune is more powerfull than most True Runes. ALL True Runes are equal in power. Its just that the Sun Rune works differently, if someone bears it they will have more power in less time but with the whole insanity curse. And the Sun Rune's effects are also long-term(Lordlake for instance,though its because of the hate fortress that they didn't recover.. If it was actually a closed lake then it wouldn't have recovered.).

Saying that because 2 unique runes are needed to keep it in check is prove that it is more powerfull than any other true rune is incorrect. All True Runes have a curse. The Sun Rune just happens to have 2 runes that can control the curse. There could as well have been 2 unique runes that could nulify the curse of the Moon Rune.

So basicly it comes down to the bearer and wether or not they mastered the rune.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Didn't you just contradict yourself a little? She didn't mince words. She outright said that the Sun Rune is known to be a mighty Rune, even in comparison to other True Runes.

What I'd like to know is, what curse would runes like the Sovereign Rune or the Dragon Rune would have? They seemed pretty simple in nature.
Hmm...
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

The Sovereign Rune hasn't been seen borne yet, its only been embedded on the King Dragon Sword, so whilst Barbossa did use the sword, he didn't bear the True Rune, so its curse wasn't seen to effect him even though he could use its powers.

The Dragon Rune has the curse of not being able to get killed because if the bearer dies, all dragons die along with them.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Kinda pointless considering Dragons are from another dimension. They could just make rifts and return back home if the Dragon Rune bearer was in danger. Besides, that only counts on Dragon in the Suiko dimension, not the World of Wings and Scales.

I think they focused on the curse of the Souleater and didn't bother to make the other True Runes complex.
Hmm...
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

I think what Leknaat was saying was that the Sun Rune's power can be more directly felt then those of other True Runes.

The reason why Dawn and Dusk are important, if you ask me, at least, it's because the Sun Rune is in an unstable form, considering that it used to be bonded to the Night Rune.
-M
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

I'd like to know where it says that all True Runes are equal in power, as I think it is just something everyone assumes. Leknaat said "of the 27 True Runes, the Sun Rune is especially powerful."

I think that's pretty cut and dry, unless there's some sort of official information I don't know about. Leknaat didn't say that the Sun Rune was the most powerful--she just said that it was "especially powerful" in comparison to other True Runes, which means that there is a difference in power between True Runes.

Past that, who knows. Maybe most True Runes hover around the same level with only a few exceptional ones being above them. Maybe they're spread far and wide in power. Or maybe the difference isn't that much at all, but is compounded by each True Rune's "will," as it seems some True Runes have more willpower than others.

I'll give you a perfect example. Harmonia "gave" the Beast Rune to Highland as a gift because they knew it was going there anyways. They had no control over it. However, The Destroyers in Suikoden III, who more than likely were using the same technique that would have been used for the Beast Rune, were able to subjegate all 5 True Elemental Runes at the same time. The True Wind Rune seemed perfectly content to be destroyed until the Flame Champion came and ruined Luc's plans. Obviously, the Beast Rune was powerful enough to resist subjegation, while the True Elemental Runes were not.

As for the topic on hand, assuming that all True Runes are not created equal, I'd say that both runes have high willpower. It'd be hard to compare one rune with another, since those two runes don't have any direct correlation with each other.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

The fact it has the power to destroy a whole COntinent and then Restore it back to even greater glory is prove enough of it's power. And yes, I believe the whole "All Runes Equal in power" thing is just assumption.
Hmm...
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

True Runes are sentient. They all have a plan. Through their actions they try to force the course of the future into their will. They do what they want in other words.

If the True Fire Rune wished to be subjugated, or thought of this as a good opurtunity to test Hugo or anything else. And the True Wind Rune apparently gave Luc that vision wich made him try to destroy it(obviously the TWR knew something like this would happen if he did that, so he did it consiously). Offcourse that is sepculation. And so is the 'True Runes are equal in power' theory. But so is the theory that they arn't. But personally I beleive that all True Runes are equal in power.

Try to find a example of a True Rune being weaker than the Sun Rune.
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

That would have been easier had we seen it interact with other True Runes, or seen more of it's power. But again, there's not much to go either way.
Hmm...
Basel

Post by Basel »

It is mentioned in the game that no other True Rune can come closer to Falena due to the power of the Sun Rune. This is a clear indicatoin that the Sun Rune is more powerful than other True Runes. Moreover Jimi qouted what Leknaat said "of the 27 True Runes, the Sun Rune is especially powerful."
If people can’t believe what Leknaat says, then I wonder who else would they believe?
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

Basel wrote:It is mentioned in the game that no other True Rune can come closer to Falena due to the power of the Sun Rune. This is a clear indicatoin that the Sun Rune is more powerful than other True Runes. Moreover Jimi qouted what Leknaat said "of the 27 True Runes, the Sun Rune is especially powerful."
If people can’t believe what Leknaat says, then I wonder who else would they believe?
first of all, can someone give me a direct translation of what Leknaat said in the japanese version?

I just don't think it is possible for a True Rune to be more powerfull than another. It makes no sense regarding that True Runes are supposed to encompass certain aspects of the universe/life/whatever and one being more powerfull than another would mean that some aspects are inferior to another.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

True Runes are equal in power, it is merely the way in which that power is expressed that leads people to believe that they aren't equal in strength.
I hope everything is going delicious.