Which ending do you want to be canon?*spoilers*

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Darian

Post by Darian »

Kirin wrote:
But actually I think the *most* compelling reason is re-building the Queen's Knights as an institution. With Galleon retired, George and Kyle gone travelling, and Ferid, Zahhak and Alenia all dead, Miakis is the only one left other the the Prince and Lyon with any Queen's Knight experience at all, and she'll be spending full time as Lym's assistant. I think it makes tons of sense for the Prince to stick around as the Knight Captain until such time as he can train up a good set of new Knights. (We already know we've got Toma and some other capable newcomers applying for the job, but it'll take some time for them to mature.)
I actually never even thought of that but it's probably the most compelling argument for the Prince staying that I've heard.
DeathQuaker

Post by DeathQuaker »

Darian wrote:
DeathQuaker wrote:
BUT, OTOH, the question was what is Konami going to decide what the "official" (ish) ending is going to be?
Er... no it isn't. It's what do you want the canon ending to be.

Or am I missing something? O_o
No. I just apparently set out to prove that you can have a Master's Degree in English Literature and still fail basic reading comprehension. (OTOH, given some literary criticism I've read, that might actually be a requirement. ;) )

I still had a point in there. Somewhere.

Oh yes, regardless... well, _I_ think it should be what makes the most sense for the Prince. As long it's explainable, it's cool by me.
Illigitimi non carborundum
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Darian wrote:Er... no it isn't. It's what do you want the canon ending to be.

Just an FYI that opinions without facts to back them up are frowned upon on this forum and end up being moved to the "unfounded theories" assuming their not under a spoiler ban.

Oh, and: Go English Majors, woohoo!
Darian

Post by Darian »

Oppenheimer wrote:
Darian wrote:Er... no it isn't. It's what do you want the canon ending to be.

Just an FYI that opinions without facts to back them up are frowned upon on this forum and end up being moved to the "unfounded theories" assuming their not under a spoiler ban.
I'm not following; which ending you want isn't a baseless opinion it's a statement of personal preference.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

Well technically you're wrong, since somebody's personal opinion could be that the Prince of Falena went on to become Gremio, I remember reading such an unjustified theory here.

However if a theory is relevent to the plot of the game or has substantial evidence in accordance to the theory, then therefore it isn't stupid.

I personally believe that the Prince of Falena staying behind will be the Canon ending since I have read that it can only be obtained with 108 stars of destiny and lots of "Lym points" therefore making it harder to get than the non-108 stars of destiny travelling with Georg ending and equal to the Lyon and Georg 108 stars of destiny ending, however since in both good endings Lyon is alive, I believe that the cannon ending will be the one where the Prince of Falena stays in Falena since that is the ending which can only be obtained with 108 stars of destiny.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I liked the 108 stars-travel with Georg ending. It followed the Suikoden tradition of the Main Character leaving and traveling the world. And also it seemed to celebrate the type of person the Prince was. When you see all the ships surround his and the other 105+ characters seeing off the hero that saved Falena.

Just seemed like more of a grand ending. And it seemed more work went into it.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

It was an over the top ending, something that wouldn't really happen. Plus, realistically, Falena still needs him to restore itself. He has far more credibility than Lym, considering Lym is young and new to her position. If he left, it would be like if Ferid and Arshthat had left following the Armes-Falena War, and left the Throne to Sialeeds or Haswar. It just wouldn't be realistic.

Plus, what kind of man was the Prince? Not once was there a hint of any intention of him being wanderlust, or wanting to go far away after it was all over. The only place he showed a mild interest in seeing was the Island Nations, and that's because of his heritage.

If they end up choosing the Prince traveling ending as the canon ending just because of tradition I will be mightily dissapointed. That's the worst part of the Suiko fandom I believe, thinking all Suikoden games must have certain things because of "tradition". If you ask me, it's about high time some traditions were abandoned, like the Silent Hero.
Hmm...
Chernigov

Post by Chernigov »

xXSqualleoNXx wrote: Plus, what kind of man was the Prince? Not once was there a hint of any intention of him being wanderlust, or wanting to go far away after it was all over. The only place he showed a mild interest in seeing was the Island Nations, and that's because of his heritage.
What kind of man the Prince was is up to you. That's why they give you two different endings. If they choose the ending you don't like as canon, I don't think that marginalizes anyone's choice in the game.
It must be so great, to have the bits that stick out and the bits that stay in be so clearly revealed!
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I didn't mean his wanderlust shows his character. I meant that the ships surrounding him and everybody seeing him off showed his character.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
xXSqualleoNXx

Post by xXSqualleoNXx »

Except that's so unrealistic. He is leaving along Georg, who wanted to sneak off Falena so as to not cause troubles. I don't think they would have divulged too much they were leaving.

And how does that show his character? that only showed he is loved, and we already knew that throught the game, since he is quite likely one of the most respected leader seen so far.
Hmm...
Aesir

Post by Aesir »

I think that ability to choose good ending which player prefer is great. It leaves opportunity to players at least somehow affect the plot of game in a way which they more like. I personally prefer ending in which Prince leaves country only because I like that more. I think that ending in which he remains in Falena will be chosen as canon though.
Mytch

Post by Mytch »

The character is in the hands of the player. There are very few times when you are forced to say a certain things, usually before a battle when they bring the option window up with only one choice. In most cases during a conversation, they try to leave atleast a little openness in characters reactions to allow what a lot of thoughts to go through, although the story line needs to stay (understandably) linear.

However, it is necissary to make an "official" script because the suikoden world does not exist in a single time. So in order to complete refrences and plotlines, they need to have a set ending. Personally, I was quite satisfied with the queens knight ending, but it's really up to the player, because if they didn't want the character to have more than one ending, they simply would of only made one ending.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

I have only gotten the ending with 108 stars where he, Georg and Lyon travel off together. However, I don't think that any argument can be made either way for the Prince and Lyon, because either way, she goes wherever he goes. So him wanting to settle down with Lyon isn't a good reason for him wandering off, because if he stays, so does she, and they probably get married down the road anyways, wherever they are.

I chose the wandering off ending because I liked it better, but I think him staying has a better chance of becoming canon because it makes more sense. Lym may be queen, but she is ten years old, and I think that she needs more help.

Besides, who is to say that even if he did stay and help rebuild, that he didn't leave with Lyon again after they got everything in order?
Purr.
Psi Yamaneko

Post by Psi Yamaneko »

I still hold that the New Queen's Campaign failed and Roy and the Prince were tortured then gutted as Lord Godwin continued to hold Falena in an iron fist. That's MY Prince's ending right there.

Okay, in all seriousness, the way I read the Prince he'd stay in Sol-Falenas and help rebuild the nation. He was royalty afterall, if a sideline player prior to the war. He puts alot of emotional importance on family (as I read him) and I think he'd stick around and help them out. However, I felt that after Lym gets married he'll probably set off and wander, knowing her to be in good hands.
"And you shall wake, from country sleep, this dawn and each first dawn,
Your faith as deathless as the outcry of the ruled sun.
"
Dylan Thomas
Adagerad

Post by Adagerad »

Note that in the voyage ending, throngs of Falenans bid farewell to the prince, but Lym is not shown among them. There are several possible explanations for her absence: 1) Although not shown, she's in the crowd. 2) She and the prince exchanged goodbyes privately. 3) She resented the prince's decision to leave and didn't bid farewell to him at all.

The first explanation is unlikely. As for the second explanation, even if they had said goodbye to each other earlier, surely Lym would have wanted to see the prince off. It's possible that she was needed in Sol-Falena, but given Lym's nature, she likely would've insisted on joining the send-off crowd anyway.

The third explanation is most plausible. If indeed Lym did resent the prince for leaving, then the voyage ending is unlikely to be official, since Konami wouldn't officially end the game with the prince and Lym parting ways on bad terms.