Rune Bearer's - do they live FOREVER? Or just...

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
lemonrumbler

Rune Bearer's - do they live FOREVER? Or just...

Post by lemonrumbler »

Hi,

It's been some time since I played Suikoden 3 and I've only ever played Suikoden 3 as well (I never could find 1 or 2 and 4 sounded terrible...I plan on buying 5 eventually) ...ANYWAY...

In Suikoden 3 I remember somebody meantioned the bearers of the true runes becoming immortal?? I think...(as I said its been a while since I played)

Is this true? Does that mean Geddoe, Chris and Hugo will all appear again and all other bearers of the true runes (from the other games) in some final climax/game of the series???

Or do true rune bearer's just live a couple years longer and die from old...old...OOOLLDD age?
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

They are just ageless, meanign they don't age(unless they are very young) and don't die of age. No immortality.
lemonrumbler

Post by lemonrumbler »

er...perhaps the term immortal was a bad choice...

I guess this means a rune bearer (ie Chris, Hugo and Geddeo) will only die once their killed or have their rune taken away?

Also does this mean that all the characters WILL possibly appear again? I get a sense that the final game (if indeed the series does end) might have all the true runes "come together"...(?)
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

lemonrumbler wrote:er...perhaps the term immortal was a bad choice...

I guess this means a rune bearer (ie Chris, Hugo and Geddeo) will only die once their killed or have their rune taken away?

Also does this mean that all the characters WILL possibly appear again? I get a sense that the final game (if indeed the series does end) might have all the true runes "come together"...(?)

In theory that is possible but unlikely. Though it is likely that all True Runes will reappear, possibly born by other people. But Riou and Jowy will die of old age, their runes don't grant agelessness since they arn't really True Runes.
Last edited by Wraith on Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lemonrumbler

Post by lemonrumbler »

Wraith wrote: In theory that is possible but unlikely. It is likely that all True Runes will reappear, possibly born by other people. But Riou and Jowy will die of old age, their runes don't grant agelessness since they arn't really True Runes.
...Unlikely? I thought all the Suikoden games tied together?

So does that mean/you suggest that say, Chris wouldn't appear again with her water rune but instead have passed it on willingly to let herself die? Or anything other bearer of a true rune?

I also got the impression that giving up a true rune resulted in a "long" painful death met out over a short period of time. (ie suggesting it not wise to "give up" a true rune)
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I think he was saying that a big ending game with the final confrontation between Yuber and Pesmerga and all 27 true runes and true rune bearers coming together for a showdown in Harmonia. . . probably won't happen. Konami seems to prefer to create new episodes and not rely too heavily on the ones that have come before. With the exception of a few returning characters in each game they keep plots seperate.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Wraith wrote:But Riou and Jowy will die of old age, their runes don't grant agelessness since they arn't really True Runes.
If what you are saying is true then Leknaat should be dead by now.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Wrong.

Take a look at Sars' coffee analogy. It's about four question down that page, it should clear any confusion you have over the issue.
Basel

Post by Basel »

Thanks Lemmy Claypool for giving me some new stuff to read ;)

Here is the clarification:
Though two aren't together at the moment, is there anything stopping the Gate Runes from joining again in the future? The mechanics of the Gate Runes are different than that of the Beginning so I'm now sure if a joining is possible.

There is no official info concerning whether the split gate rune can be attached together again. However, based on the fact that Konami has previously stated Leknaat reclaimed the Front Gate Rune and had a "whole" Gate Rune, and only switched their story sometime around 2001, it can be assumed that the split runes can be combined again.

Why is it when The Rune of Beginning is split, Riou and Jowy don't get immortality, yet Leknaat and Windy with two aspects of the same rune do?

How does a rune split anyway?

Is it possible that the two gate runes are two separate true runes?

How it is explained by Konami is that the Black Sword and Bright Shield runes are not "halves" of the Beginning Rune, but instead components of the Beginning Rune. These two runes are completely dissimilar in property, and exist in that form ab originae. In their separate forms, they are not true runes.

The Gate Rune, on the other hand, was originally a whole rune. It was forcibly split by Windy and Leknaat using some secret method we have no clue about. The resulting halves of the Gate Rune have identical powers, and retain true rune properties but its power is weaker than a full true rune. Regardless, it provides agelessness.

We can compare this with making coffee. To make coffee, you need ground coffee beans and hot water. Once you mix the two together, you get coffee. If take half of that coffee away--pour half of it into another cup, you just get two 1/2 cups of coffee. You don't get hot water and ground coffee.

That's the difference between the Gate Rune and the Rune of the Beginning. The Gate Rune is already finished coffee, so splitting it only creates two identical runes. The Rune of the Beginning is a combination of the Black Sword Rune (ground coffee) and Bright Shield Rune (hot water). Thus, if the Rune of the Beginning is ever split by a powerful sorcerer, you'd get halves of the Rune of the Beginning instead of the Black Sword and the Bright Shield rune.
"The real issue is not TALENT as an independent element, but talent in relationship to WILL, DESIRE, AND PERSISTENCE. Talent without these things VANISHES and even modest talent with those characteristics GROWS..." -Milton Glaser
Melee Ace

Post by Melee Ace »

Much like lemonrumbler, I only played Suikoden III so far, and for the same reasons too. I remember Lilly did clearly use the term "immortality" though. Of course, as always, it could have been mistranslated, or the term could have been badly picked by Konami. Still, it doesn't make much sense to me for a True Rune bearer to be killed, unless it's a large-scale force or something, such as another True Rune. Seriously, I can't imagine a Karayan kid just jumping at Chris for any reason, who has the True Water Rune, and killing her just like that.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Melee Ace wrote:Much like lemonrumbler, I only played Suikoden III so far, and for the same reasons too. I remember Lilly did clearly use the term "immortality" though.
we discussed that point somewhere else once before. Lilly is prone to exaggeration and not a rune expert. . . she doesn't know what she's talking about.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

it's more like Highlanders. You'll live forever but if someone decapitates you, you're dead. The End.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:it's more like Highlanders. You'll live forever but if someone decapitates you, you're dead. The End.
Or if someone poisons you, stabs you in the back, throws you of a clif, etc... They are like normal humans exept they don't age.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

They don't age or get diseases.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
thecontrivance

Immortality

Post by thecontrivance »

Or if someone poisons you
Their immune to that kinda stuff. Remember when Elenjor gave Lazlo that poison? What happend? He was just sitting there like nothing happend, with those ET eyes.... :shock: Will never happen
stabs you in the back
By living for ever, they must(relisticly,not gameplay wise) be on atleast lv. 80, so they would obviosly be master martial artists and able to fight like Yuber, Pesmerga, Georg, Ruby, Luc. Unlest they wanted to be killed. Plus, detecting assasins is a basic of martial arts....... :? Unlikely to happen
throws you of a clif
What the hell?? :?
EDIT by Red Killey: This member is already banned.