The writer of Old Book 2 in Suikoden 2

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
reyjusuf

The writer of Old Book 2 in Suikoden 2

Post by reyjusuf »

could it be zweig?
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Questions like this should really be asked in the Suikoden V forum - where this thread now lives.

*Movin' out*
JG Chan

Post by JG Chan »

I kinda doubt it. Sindar legends have been around for a long time, and there've always been old books about them, I think. Mostly, though, Zweig doesn't seem like the type to go around writing about and sharing his findings.

Is there anything in the book itself that suggests this, though? I haven't found a transcript of that book here.
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Page 1: I spent my life chasing the secrets of the Sindar, but here in these ruins,
Page 2: I’ve reached the end of my strength. And so I write some of what I’ve learned.
Page 3: The Sindar are a phantom race. They have become known throughout history and
yet their true nature is a mystery.
Page 4: They came from the north and traveled south, leaving mysterious ruins behind
them.
Page 5: Legends say the clan leader had a cursed rune inscribed in him forehead.
Page 6: It granted eternal life but doomed the clan to a life of wondering.
Page 7: They say a secret treasure lies in the heart of the ruins,
Page 8: but there are many traps, and most seekers only find death, like myself…
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

Also theres no reference to the freaking Tree Zweig found in the end(Thanks Jowy Atreides for correcting me on this on the Oboro thread).

Im curious of the BIG TREE he found! a return of Rune Cannons you supposed? It easy to consider why it didn't reach the northern continent coz Falena is southern, do you guys thinks Konami will bring the WMD back?
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

I think it's a strong possiblility that Zweig dies after Suikoden V, and so that might be possible he wrote that Old Book although it was not initially intended.

You see, Zweig is a scholar of the Sindar. Why would Killey and Lorelai make it to the north and Zweig not also appear there unless something happened to him? Although this can be offset by the fact he could just be chasing ruins elsewhere in the world at the same time, there is a possibility Zweig will meet his end before Suikoden II.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

I think the biggest reason it can't be Zweig who wrote the book is because the writer seemed to be searching for treasure. Zweig seemed to be pursuing knowledge, not treasure.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Ah, but knowledge is treasure to some. Certainly to Zweig. Since there is no indication of what kind of treasure it is, it could be a tome of something.

Of course, I really don't have an opinion one way or the other. :wink:
We are free to severe the chains of Fate that bind us...Yet this, too, may be our Destiny.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Zweig is already 39 in this game, while Killey and Lorelai are only in their late teens.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if he got to Kanakan first before those two did (see their endings). After all, from Falena, Kanakan is much closer than Jowston.
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

czartiffac wrote:Also theres no reference to the freaking Tree Zweig found in the end(Thanks Jowy Atreides for correcting me on this on the Oboro thread).

Im curious of the BIG TREE he found! a return of Rune Cannons you supposed? It easy to consider why it didn't reach the northern continent coz Falena is southern, do you guys thinks Konami will bring the WMD back?
That big tree area is actually reachable in SV. One of the times when Viki messes up on your teleportation, you appear in a forest with a plain in the middle with a large tree sticking out of it. The place is not reachable by any other means too. All you find is a Blinking piece there though. I've heard people tried bringing various people there such as Zweig, Killey, Lorelai but apparently nothing happens. I was hoping there'd be a secret village there like Rokakku :(
Night

Post by Night »

malicesoul wrote:
czartiffac wrote:Also theres no reference to the freaking Tree Zweig found in the end(Thanks Jowy Atreides for correcting me on this on the Oboro thread).

That big tree area is actually reachable in SV.
Thus, it might be slightly more likely that it's just an ordinary tree, yes?
Ice has formed and there's snow between the tracks/ And I have seen the surface tear and I can't look back/ And cool low sun has blinded you for days from horizon to horizon can I dream this all away
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

I hope its true and its not just an Easter Egg type thing, I would love to see Rune Cannons back. I just thought of something, imagine if there was a way to make True Rune cannons.

I'm not sure whether the shells are infused with magic or whether its actual rune pieces inside, if its the former, then it could be a possibility. Imagine the chaos somebody like Yuber could cause with one of those.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
malicesoul

Post by malicesoul »

What happened to the Rune cannons anyway? How did they lose the technology to make them? Sorry, I don't know if this is been explained in the game at all.

True Rune Cannons. That would be awesome. Imagine True Beast Rune Cannon. How would that look? Shoot a giant wolf at the enemy!
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

The reason rune cannons can no longer be made is explained within Rhapsodia.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Felenan Prince

Post by Felenan Prince »

Actual if you read Zweig's ending you learn that he went searching for the crimson pilgrims following killey's information but the only thing he finds is a large oak tree i think. So maybe that is the place Zweig went to