Two True Runes for "Heat" and "Light"?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Jowy Atreides

Two True Runes for "Heat" and "Light"?

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Did anyone else find it odd that the powers of "Heat" and "Light" were sorted under the Sun Rune? It would've made more sense for the final boss sprites to be "Nurturing" (healing) and whatever you'd call the desturction of Lordlake ("Destruction" is already taken). The True Fire Rune seems far more likely to hold these powers, and since the True Elemental Runes don't seem to have any sort of duality, their powers are all they've got. And once those are taken from them, what then do they have? What makes them unique?

Have the dual aspects of the Sun Rune been confirmed by Konami yet?
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

I don't know whether or not dual aspects are present in every rune like the Blue Moon Rune or the Soul Eater, but Heat and Light certainly don't seem that unusual for the Sun Rune. After all, the Sun does provide those.

It would be unusual to fight something "nuturing", unless it constantly healed.
-M
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

Not only that but the two helpers of the Final Boss one did attack while the other healed the Sun rune Incar.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

That's what I mean: a healer. I'm aware that Heat and Light are provided by the Sun Rune, but aren't they also provided by the True Fire Rune?
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The sprite that heals also drains the life out of you from its physical attacks.

I believe the story tells us that its duality were "destruction" and "rebirth". I'm not surprised we don't even know the duality of those elemental runes from S3. So many runes, so little time.
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

The thing is with TFR you got Fire, with the Sun Rune you don't. The Sun Rune uses light, which carries heat with it. While the TFR is Fire and of course has heat and light however has none of the nurturing essence that the Sun Rune has.
Ancient Cheesecake

Post by Ancient Cheesecake »

Of course the sun itself is a giant fireball anyway...
No offense intended.

Dumb dumb Moira Brown
Dumbest chick in this whole dumb town

Dumber than old king kong
Uglier than a junk yard dog

I set off a nuke to kill you
But fate was just too damn cruel
czartiffac

Post by czartiffac »

I think it was meant to differentiate the True Fire and Sun rune from one another even thought elemental values they are common.

The True Fire rune was only meant to destroy while the Sun rune had the power to nurture but only if guided by the Dawn and Twilight rune.

Kinda like the True Fire is a mindless moving wall of destruction and the Sun is a big fireball baby with two nannies. ^^;;;
ShardStar

Post by ShardStar »

You gotta remember that also King did mention that the Sun Rune was to represent NOT it's literal source IE Big Fireball in Sky, but more it's metaphorical harm/heal properties that it gives. What ancients USED to worship it for. For the life it can give and take away. So it's almost a life/death Rune. Then again many Runes have many attributes, I mean doesn't Lighting contain heat and give off light? So wouldn't the TLR also have Heat and Light in it's attributes?
Masamune

Post by Masamune »

Heat and Light seem rather relevant. They do seem similar, but have a sense of duality anyways.

The Heat of the Sun can be harmful and destructive. Destroy crops, cause droughts, and so forth.

Yet the Light of the Sun brings life and energy. Woot for photosynthesis, represent, yo.
Suiko-Source

Post by Suiko-Source »

I agree with the duality being "heat" and "light" for the Sun rune solely.

The True Fire Rune was more represented as great power that is uncontrollable at times. The True Water Rune was represented as the power to heal and soothe, while the True Thunder Rune was more about controlled power somewhat opposite of the True Fire Rune.

There can be alot of speculation on these subjects, but it best to just imagine what they mean to you personally and not attempt to define it for others. After all, life is about perception i think and the symbolism of the True Runes in Suikoden are no different.
Matt620

Post by Matt620 »

Well, since it does govern over heat and light, there's no sense in arguing which is the positive and which is the negative. Both Heat and Light can have positive and negative connotations. The good aspects of both nuture life, the bad destroy it and prevent it from coming back.
-M