worth buying tactics?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Yuber

worth buying tactics?

Post by Yuber »

i have suikoden 1 to 5, 3 and 5 i imported from american since i live in the UK, am still playing 5 at the moment but i was wondering if tactics is worth buying and is it any good? if it is good is it a long game and 1 that isnt short, story wise i found suikoden 4 short and since this is like a sequal i was wondering if it a short game.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Suikoden Tactics is of decent length, and they have plenty of things on the side that you can do to make it longer. It's a sim-RPG though, so it's not quite the same as the other Suikoden games.

The story picks up from where Suikoden IV left us, providing an elaborate explanation of many things that were left unexplained before. Including -- but not limited to -- Sigurd's past, Edgar's demise, Kooluk Empire, Rune Cannons, Man-Hunting Incident, etc.

You also get to meet a lot of returning characters from IV, as well as learning about the truth about Hero's fate after the war. And he talks in the game, too.

I'd say it's at least worth renting to witness the Rune of Punishment live up to its reputation as 1 of the 27 True Runes.
Albert Silverberg

Post by Albert Silverberg »

Well, if you felt you had alot of unanswered questions after SIV, then I recommend this. It covers up some events, most of which patapi already said. It gives us a bigger view into the Kooluk Empire, their two factions, and so on. Not to mention there's a little Scarlet Moon people running around. Though it is a S-RPG (I lost faith in these genre because FF Tactics was the most cruel S-RPG ever), it's actually quite easy.
Rich the Stampede

Post by Rich the Stampede »

FF Tactics was amazing. S-Tactics...isn't. It's alright but it ruined S4 for me.
carry the lantern high
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I share the same sentiment as Albert. FFT somewhat killed the part of the sRPG genre at large for me. Yes, there is Ogre Battle as its direct predecessor, but the fact that these titles encouraged powerlevelling made sRPGs an utter chore to play.

Take that formula too far, and you get Hoshigami.

On the bright side, Rhapsodia discourages powerlevelling.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Tactics is my least favourite out of all 6 of the games. (No I'm not including Gaidens, obviously I haven't played em.) For me there was little storyline, people were doing things that were ridiculous (jesus, Miranda was the worst character ever), the villains didn't make me feel ANYTHING, blahblah.

But the battles were cool...? And it wrapped up a few Suikoden 4 loose ends...? Ah, hell, it was a 2.5 out of 5 in my book.

Suikoden 2 > Suikoden 5 > Suikoden 1 > Suikoden 3 > Suikoden 4 > Tactics
Purr.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I'l buy/rent Rhapsodia sometime for one reason and one reason only. To find out what the hell you guys are talking about. That Kyril's slower aging thing is really bugging me.
Tuân

Post by Tuân »

If you really like Gensô Suikoden, I may say "go". But I know some hardcore fans who said that the Tactics was wack as fark. I'm a big fan of the serie, but it's clear I've been a bit disappointed about the technical and tactical aspect of the game which is really basic.

But the story et the mystery around the rune cannons can motivate you. During the game, I was really into it and found the game good. Right now, I have much distance and Tactics is just "not that bad".
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

I loved the game, IMHO.

Only think that ticked me off about it was how easily non-story critical characters can die.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

patapi wrote:On the bright side, Rhapsodia discourages powerlevelling.
And yet, I did it anyway and barely noticed, I enjoyed it so much (damn you Ancient Sword!). Honestly, I got Rhapsodia when Media Play had their going out of business sale so in addition to the $10 off the regular price, it was an additional $10 off. Not a bad buy and I don't regret it. Enjoyed it more than the chore Suikoden 4 turned out to be. So if you can get it at a reduced price, do it. Otherwise maybe you should rent it.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

The game, I think, would be a thousand times better if you have a perfect save from Suiko 4, so you could get the two special characters from loading Suiko4 data.

That would probably make the game loads easier.

I'm currently replaying Suikoden IV to get a perfect game [ I was vindictive and executed that traitorous bastard Snowe in my first play through....its going to be hard not to kill him again :twisted: ]
Rich the Stampede

Post by Rich the Stampede »

Komataguri wrote:I loved the game, IMHO.

Only think that ticked me off about it was how easily non-story critical characters can die.
yeah it was real bullshit
carry the lantern high
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The same mechanism existed in Suikoden strategy battles. Non-story characters die easily in those too, so I guess they are all real bullshit to you.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

It IS a lot easier for them to die in Tactics though, so I can see how someone would be angry if they played a certain battle for a long time and levelled up plenty of times, got some cool treasure, and someone randomly dies right at the end.

Happened to me plenty. -.-
Purr.
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

patapi wrote:The same mechanism existed in Suikoden strategy battles. Non-story characters die easily in those too, so I guess they are all real bullshit to you.
in tactics, I think non-story characters have a 90% chance of dying from an attack.

cause I havn't seen any of my non-story characters simply withdraw, yet, and I'm fairly deep into the game.

But its still a good game.