Problems with the Barows family (possible spoilers)

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Rialto Christopher

Problems with the Barows family (possible spoilers)

Post by Rialto Christopher »

I ended up prematurely ending my game when I decided to side with Salum Barows and become king. But in the end, the main character ends up getting killed by "Barows' men!" Am I missing something here? Why would Salum first try to help you then have you killed? I know what kind of person he is, but this turn of events was a tad confusing. Could someone explain this event to me?
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Quite simply, Barrows was merely using you to gain more power. After placing you as a figurehead king with himself as either your chief minister or regent, he'd have you assassinated so he no longer has to play the part of following your orders. Barrows is just a greedy politician who uses your character to get what he wants and then desposes of them. That's all
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Barows is simply playing the Prince the way Godwin is playing the Princess.

Barows even wants the Prince to marry his daughter, and then reduce him to a puppet-ruler. Once the prince is dead, I'm sure Barows would blame it on Godwin somehow and thus use the death to fuel a civil war between Godwin and Barows, with the Royal Family completely out of the picture. Barows would have the backing of Armes as well in such a situation.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
Jacu

Post by Jacu »

Barrows' intentions were pretty obvious.. They wanted to gain power
just like the Godwins

hm..
There always seem to be some bad nobles in all suikoden games...
humpa

Post by humpa »

One difference however was that Godwin wanted Falena to be a better place (although the actions of course were not right). Barrow could careless about Falena, all he really wanted was power.
Eyedol

Post by Eyedol »

Neither of the noble houses wanted the "best for Falena"; they coveted power from the beginning and always had their megalomaniac selfish desires in utmost order of priority.
humpa

Post by humpa »

no actually godwins did want the best for falena. It's just that their methods were very wrong and horrible. They believed in their point of view that what they were doing was for the best of falena, and they wanted falena only for falenians.
Jacu

Post by Jacu »

obviously, Gizel's ideal of best for the falena
is only best for Godwins.. no?
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

Well if their ideal of strength is unity among the various factions of Falena, they have succeeded. Except for the people of Stormfist, every other person in the kingdom loves the prince and they all worked together (beavers, dwarves, dragon horses, lord lake, raftfleet etc.) in the war. Even the people of Rainwall will side with him due to Luserina being a good administrator.

So I suppose you could say the Godwins succeeded in their plan, because Falena is united now and all the political infighting seemed to die down. They loved Falena so much they became villains so the prince could unite the people against them and sacrificed themselves for the cause.

HAHA! Revisionist history!