Sialeed's "Decision" *SPOILER*

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
juicyfrog242

Re: Sialeed's "Decision" *SPOILER*

Post by juicyfrog242 »

How could someone possibly think it was the Twilight Rune that changed her? She did get a little "big-headed," but there are other reasons. First off, Sialeeds was always distraught about the nobility using the royal family, she was upset when found out Barows planned to secede from Falena using the Prince, and when Euram set out the "sully the Prince's name" in Sable, saying something like "Why has our nobility rotted to the core?".

When you think about it, Dolph was only really doing the Godwin's bidding throughout the game, minus attacking Lyon. He was most likely put up to talking to Sialeeds by Gizel, but what were they talking about? My best theory is that when Dolph went to visit Oboro (if you remember, when you talk in him in Raftfleet after doing the Lordlake sidequest), he was ordered to get dirt on Sialeeds. OR, he says to Lyon: "What if the Prince was to...disappear? Would you consider rejoining us then?" If he really did fetch Sialeeds on his own, he might have wanted her to kill the Prince, so that she would. But that's a long shot, considering how he almost killed Lyon during Sialeeds's defection (yeah, she DID NOT betray the Prince, she DID betray his cause.)

Anywho, back on topic, if you talk to her after Doraat, she feels guilty about not having taken up the Sun Rune herself (might be something she talked about with Dolph) before, obviously, "rescuing Queen Lymsleia" and keeping the war going. Let's skip to Stormfist. Sialeeds used the Twilight Rune (and if Jeane joined the Loyalist Army before Sialeeds left it, how could she have attached the rune to her?) to lure the Prince to Stormfist to eliminate Godwin's biggest sympathizers before taking out the Godwins later. She then probably attacked the Prince's unit, either to minimize further losses (sneaking a small group in versus a frontal siege,) or to protect the Prince from a potentially worse ambush than the one in the stadium (Georg mentioned how hard it would be to attack Stormfist when you first visit.) Either way, she later ruined Childerich's ambush clearly to prevent the Prince from dying, then she attacked the Prince again:

-> As someone said earlier to practice using the rune against "a worthy opponent"
-> Merely to test the Prince's abilities
-> To make him believe that she really wanted him dead

- any combination of the three.

She stopped dying her hair because she felt she was regaining the control of the royal family from the nobility, so, she wanted "to be queen" for a little while. She started bossing everyone around because she knew she could get away with it/she felt to need to vent frustrations/she wanted to enjoy her last moments alive, because she knew she had to die.

It gets tricky after she kills Salum. She attempts to destroy the dam to protect the army from the Sun Rune, which would allow more people to survive "the Sun Rune would've killed everything) and she liked the idea of potentially killing Lucretia. However, she knew she would have to be killed otherwise it might look like the Prince/Lym were "in on it," you know, the whole "look good to the people" theme this game illustrates so well. So she might have planned to rid Godwin herself and then fight the Prince later. Or she could've destroyed part of the dam to ensure the Loyalist Army could occupy the rest, as Lucretia suggested. But her plan goes awry when Frey and Lyon turn up to stop her. Then she, once again, acts like she wants the Prince dead, and fights for her life, and loses it.

Sorry, I was in a rant-ish mood.
"I know nothing of dog behavior, but I do know you're depriving some poor village of its idiot."
Siel Avadon

Post by Siel Avadon »

Perhaps she was just pissed off and wanted the throne in the end? But I dont think so. Seems Kyle knew what she was doing...
Jeane, The Marilyn Monroe of Suikoden.
chypa

Post by chypa »

i thought although she betrayed the prince, she still did it for the prince.
but, the fact she really want to be a queen, huh?
now i hate her.
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

juicyfrog242 wrote:(and if Jeane joined the Loyalist Army before Sialeeds left it, how could she have attached the rune to her?)
The Twilight Rune chose her, unlike with Alenia. The Rune was forced on Alenia, which is why Jeane's skills were needed.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Rune

Post by Rune »

chypa wrote:i thought although she betrayed the prince, she still did it for the prince.
but, the fact she really want to be a queen, huh?
now i hate her.
She didn't want to be queen.
sunstar25

Post by sunstar25 »

Sialeeds never wanted to be queen. Never did.

The sins of her mother was the main reason why her side of the family is in line for the throne. I'm pretty sure even Arshtat accepted the fact that she wasn't in line for the throne at first. But Falzhram thought otherwise.

If you read Taylor's articles and the old books; Salum Barows is pretty much the man most directly responsible for all of Falena's troubles in the first place. He was the one that convinced Falzhram to pursue the throne and caused a succession conflict. This conflict took the life of Rosalind Godwin (Marscal's wife) which theoretically turned Marscal into a power-hungry madman. Not to mention he was the one that planted the seeds for the Lordlake Uprising and stole the Dawn Rune as well.

Knowing this, Sialeeds took it into her own hands to eliminate the one man virtually responsible for everything without the blame placing on her nephew.
chypa

Post by chypa »

so that's the reason?
so ironic... :cry:
juicyfrog242

Post by juicyfrog242 »

The Twilight Rune chose her, unlike with Alenia. The Rune was forced on Alenia, which is why Jeane's skills were needed.
Yeah, thought so, but someone earlier said she was necessary in attaching it to Sialeeds, probably just a typo.

As for the queen thing...I didn't mean that like she wanted the throne, I meant that she wanted to take charge, she was sick of being thrown around by the nobles is all.
"I know nothing of dog behavior, but I do know you're depriving some poor village of its idiot."
Rune

Post by Rune »

juicyfrog242 wrote:
Yeah, thought so, but someone earlier said she was necessary in attaching it to Sialeeds, probably just a typo.

It must've been a typo, because Jeane was not involved according to the game (after all, she was no longer a freelancer at the time),

As for the queen thing...I didn't mean that like she wanted the throne, I meant that she wanted to take charge, she was sick of being thrown around by the nobles is all.
Wanting to take charge is very different from wanting the Queen. I can't remember how you worded your original post (and I'm too lazy to check :D), but if you mentioned Queen or throne, that would explain why we misinterpreted you ;).
Onix

Post by Onix »

Intersting topic...
She was doing something "dirty".
Someone has to do it and it's Sialeeds.

I wonder if they ended the war with still the Barows and Godwins still living, do you guys think that another civil war would take place?
Its like she wanted to clean up the mess of her ancestors or something like that.
She wouldn't want his nephew and niece be cruel or anything thats probably why she decided to do those things.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

Onix wrote:Intersting topic...
She was doing something "dirty".
Someone has to do it and it's Sialeeds.

I wonder if they ended the war with still the Barows and Godwins still living, do you guys think that another civil war would take place?Its like she wanted to clean up the mess of her ancestors or something like that.
She wouldn't want his nephew and niece be cruel or anything thats probably why she decided to do those things.
Undoubtably. If you notice, even after Sialeeds kills Barows, talk to Boz and he'll say something to the effect of, "What Barows did was evil, sure, but not sure if he deserved to die for it." It's not a direct quote obviously, but the point is, there were many people who, even after all of Barows treasons were brought to light, inciting the Lordlake rebellion, stealing the Dawn Rune, allowing Lord Rovere to be executed, attempting to usurp the territory from Falena, who didn't believe he deserved death.

Rainwall is one of the most influential cities in the country, and I'm fairly sure the citizens would be more than livid should Salum have been executed after the war, especially as he was not "directly" involved in the revolution that cost the Queen and Ferid their lives. Why should Barows be punished when that was a Godwin plot?

Likewise, the people of Stormfist, even after the fall of the House of Godwin, even after occupying the city, still strongly supported Godwin. If Godwin and Barows were allowed to live, they would eventually regain their power, possibly side together against the royal family. Both have shown their utter contempt for the royals right to rule by their actions, declaring civil war is just another step and would be the return of the War of Succession. Barrows himself tried to prompt that very thing by convincing the Prince to break off that territory for a new kingdom, and recall Sialeed's reaction from that, "Our country isn't some plaything for the nobles".

Sialeeds already mentioned the lenghts Haswar, Arshtat and herself took to keep another War of Succession from happening. She just saw it within her power to fix it, because like she said, the prince and Lym wouldn't be able to clean up the Senate, so the only alternative was to destroy it under the pretense of war.

Personally, her actions made considerably more sense to me than Jowy's because at least she accomplished her goal.
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."