Grammatical/Linguistic Study of Suikoden V

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Etrenank

Post by Etrenank »

One that really got my attention is in a scene late in the game Sialeeds says, "Sorry to spoil your plans, but I've got important things to care of!"
Seems like they forgot a word after things to.
Desides

Post by Desides »

Darkillumina wrote:Honestly would this be Suikoden without the grammatical errors and shoddy translating? I think it's part of the charm =)
In many of these cases, it's not exactly shoddy translating--some dialog sections have to be rewritten to make sense to an English-speaking audience. A lot of these examples are also nothing more than nitpicks.

Suikoden V was well-translated, IMO.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

On a related note, the Japanese version has many textual errors too. Here's a compilation of them:
http://www9.atwiki.jp/gensouv/pages/42.html
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

There are two things I'm interested in the localization of:

What is the long castle name that Lucretia recommends? In Japanese, it's something like
The Sighing Castle of May Facing the Gently Rocking Surface of the Water

Upon recruiting Roy and friends, Roy was asked "how about working for the Prince as his shadow warrior." What was translated as in the US version?
Eyedol

Post by Eyedol »

dragonmasterx wrote:Upon recruiting Roy and friends, Roy was asked "how about working for the Prince as his shadow warrior." What was translated as in the US version?
2) His double.

I would try to answer your #1, but the name Lucretia suggests is equally long and mind-boggling; if anything, I think they use the literal translation (which sounds just like what you wrote).
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Eyedol wrote:
dragonmasterx wrote:Upon recruiting Roy and friends, Roy was asked "how about working for the Prince as his shadow warrior." What was translated as in the US version?
2) His double.

I think that one actually makes sense. Most english speaking people use the word "Body Double" But I think the word "Decoy" would have been best.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

What is the long castle name that Lucretia recommends? In Japanese, it's something like
The Sighing Castle of May Facing the Gently Rocking Surface of the Water

Castle of the May Sigh Shimmering on the Pale Blue Water

:lol: Lucretia . . .
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Oh yeah, just for your interest, some of the people who were in charge of the localization have made some comments at theirstar.com's forum. Feel free to go speak with them if interested.
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

During Childerech and Dilber Novum's escape from Doraat:

Baram Luger: "Your highness. I see you've taken after your father in my ways. Gathering the support of the townspeople . . ."

I take it that they meant many ways. Not "my ways".
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Does the old librarian(Azrad?) speak oddly, like someone out of a Shakespeare play perhaps? In the JP version, he speaks classical Japanese.

Not to get off topic, but this is how Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance handles dialogue that was originally classical Japanese--I transcribed these lines as I came across them in the game because I thought they were cool:
Bastian: You? You possess such refined things? I figured a rustic boor like you would have sold them for a lamb shank.
Bastian: But now, fifty-eight comes anon… You. Need. To. Calm. Yourself.
Bastian: For you, we would the world itself depart.
Bastian: But soft! What luck that we do feel fate’s kiss? Anon, the clouds do part, the rains do stop. Heaven itself does sing thus rejoice. At the return of our one true ruler! Oh Princess… Until world’s end, do you we vow to follow! We are planets of your fair blazing sun!
Bastian: For you our fair sun, we would this life forswear.
Bastian: Forsooth! What ho! My eyes behold Sir Ike! Pray tell, what would you ask of me, good sir?
Bastion: Hmmm…what has Ike got brewing in that brain of his that involves that scurrilous man of the shadows?
Bastion: Ahhh.. She addresses me so curtly, but it only strokes my furnace of attraction!
Lucia: Don’t even think I’m going to fall for that trick! It might work with the others, but I’m no doe-eyed fawn!
Bastion: The princess, she is faint and o’er tired. Forgive your humble servant this trespass.
I was wondering if classical Japanese is translated in a similar style for Suikoden V.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

dragonmasterx wrote:Does the old librarian(Azrad?) speak oddly, like someone out of a Shakespeare play perhaps? In the JP version, he speaks classical Japanese.
Besides saying the word "Tome" a lot he dosen't speak strangely at all. He certainly dosen't use slang but it's nothing any more unusual than the other formal speaking people on your team.
Hork

Post by Hork »

I noticed some linguistical Hestonisms early in the game...

Miakis and someone else says "Damn them! Damn them all to HELL". I remember another one or two but I'd have to play it over again.

I wonder if the Hestonisms were in the original Japanese version or only translated as such.
Falenan_descent

Post by Falenan_descent »

The dots in the middle of a sentence are known as an elypsis.

Ex:

I went for a walk...it was fun.

It's meant to be a shortcut and leave out lengthy details. The sentence could have gone as follows:

Ex:

I went for a walk that was very exciting, tubular, gnarly, and I even saw a bird. It was fun.
OmegaX123

Post by OmegaX123 »

dragonmasterx wrote:After winning the first duel in the game, Limsleia and the Prince are talking. Miakis comes in and comes the Prince a "chidiremaimai," which is some kind of monster in the Suikoden series. Does anyone know what this monster is called in the US version?
"Look at the two of you, you look just like an Armadillon father and child," or something?
Belle

Post by Belle »

OmegaX123 wrote:
dragonmasterx wrote:After winning the first duel in the game, Limsleia and the Prince are talking. Miakis comes in and comes the Prince a "chidiremaimai," which is some kind of monster in the Suikoden series. Does anyone know what this monster is called in the US version?
"Look at the two of you, you look just like an Armadillon father and child," or something?
No, after the first duel. I think the one where Lymsleia gets all flustered that her brother won against Shoon.