Afterlife in suikoden.

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
koriand'r

Afterlife in suikoden.

Post by koriand'r »

Does the suikoden have its own version of heaven and hell or is it similar to the Greek mythology of reincarnation? When Gremio died for example he went to the world of emptiness, are all souls compelled to go there as that doesn’t sound a suitable ending for the characters we knew *Except Luca perhaps* as isn't that were all the monsters that appear in the suikoden world originate from?
daoster

Post by daoster »

I suppose maybe there is a concept of heaven and hell, but if there is, it hasn't been important enough to be mentioned. And I believe Gremio's case was a special one, as he was one who was close to the main hero, who happened to have the Soul Eater
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

There may have been some kind of concept about afterlife at least. This may be a translation error, but When Tir and his party leave Viktor and Flik in Gregminster Castle, Flik says something along the lines of "I'm not ready to see Odessa yet".
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
Hxc Flavor

Re: Afterlife in suikoden.

Post by Hxc Flavor »

koriand'r wrote:Does the suikoden have its own version of heaven and hell or is it similar to the Greek mythology of reincarnation?
Ancient Greek Mythology does not condone reincarnation. The Greeks believed after you die you either go to the elysian (sp.) fields (heaven), or tartarus (hell). religions that do teach reincarnation are hinduism and sort of buddhism. as for your main question, i can't really answer that sorry.
"I'd be happy to demonstrate its sharpness on your neck."
Stallion

Post by Stallion »

I imagine it sort of like in my religion - Helheim is the land of the dead. It is not good nor evil, but rather an infinitely large 'world' where everyone goes. There are of course exceptions both ways, but that's the gist of it.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

As in the real work, it seems like various characters in Suikoden have various beliefs.

For example, many of the folks of Grassland think they return to the earth as spirits--this belief is particularly strong among the Alma Kinan clans.

Then as mentioned before, Flik says it's not time to meet Odessa. However, he is from the Warrior's Village, and this may simply be their own belief.

Then there's Mazus and Crowley, who many consider to have reincarnated using some arcane method.

Regardless, the fact is that there is no single "truth" regarding the afterlife in the Suikoden world.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

in the s3 end you saw luc and sarah holding what appears to be their childs hand,so their must be somewhere
Eagles May Soar But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Nope, that was Luc and Leknaat holding Sarah's hand when she was little. That scene depicts the time when Luc and Leknaat rescued Sarah from the Circle Palace in Harmonia.
iiaznsk8erii

Post by iiaznsk8erii »

World of emptiness. Sounds like poor translation to me.
Karthur

Post by Karthur »

Given that there are such different cultures in the world, I'm sure there are just as many versions of Heaven and Hell...

Also, consider the role that religion plays to the various groups/countries/clans in the story and that would probably give you a better idea of the differences.
fake_flame

Post by fake_flame »

hmm .. here it goes : the spirits of the death will go to the farplane ... only if they are sent ... hahaha. it is ffx
so, iz there any place which somehow play the role of ffx's farplane in suikoden world ?
-- [fAkE_fLaMe] --
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

iiaznsk8erii wrote:World of emptiness. Sounds like poor translation to me.
That's actually the best translation possible for the Japanese word used for that particular place.
Lo Wen

Post by Lo Wen »

I believe in Suikoden, in the afterlife, depending on how you been on earth:

If you been nice, you become a spirit of the earth and you can keep on living (with flowers, air e.t.c), And you can also watch over your loved once until you "meet again".

If you been bad, you become an spririt who lives in an endless dream where you feel nothing, hear nothing, see nothing... and endless nothingness...
Maldonado

Post by Maldonado »

What you say sounds good, Lo Wen, but I think that all the people that died in Suikoden world simply pass to "the other side", the realm of the dead. I believe that those souls that caused much pain during their lifetime simply stay in that realm forever, maybe they appear from time to time as monsters, while deacent souls may have a chance to return one day as a different persons. As you probably noticed, there is no church, no religions in Suikoden world. And thus no heaven and hell.
I simply believe in "the other side", that's all...
Sir Maldon, the mighty knight of Greenland, bringer of fear and destruction, destroyer of wine barrels, pride of Imperial Heavily Armored Knights Special Elite Destroyer Unit, evil monsters' WORST nightmare!!!!!!!!
BahamutXero

Re: Afterlife in suikoden.

Post by BahamutXero »

nuSeed wrote:
koriand'r wrote:Does the suikoden have its own version of heaven and hell or is it similar to the Greek mythology of reincarnation?
Ancient Greek Mythology does not condone reincarnation. The Greeks believed after you die you either go to the elysian (sp.) fields (heaven), or tartarus (hell). religions that do teach reincarnation are hinduism and sort of buddhism. as for your main question, i can't really answer that sorry.
Actually, only few people go to the Elysian Fields or deeper into Tartarus. Most souls just wander Hades for eternity. In other words, unless they really pissed the gods off, or they were really really good, they are just souls with nothing to do. Kinda sucks.
Long live the king of dragons!!