Rune of Punishment a gateway to Dual True Rune Wielding?

Ask questions about the events that take place during the Suikoden games themselves.
Rivera

Rune of Punishment a gateway to Dual True Rune Wielding?

Post by Rivera »

In theorum, a True Rune Bearer cannot bear more than one rune, but I thought about this. Let's say the Rune of Punishment bearer dies by using the Rune. Now from what we know about the rune it passes to whomever seems to be closeby. We also know unlike the standard for the 27 True Runes, the Rune of Punishment affixes itself to the left hand instead of the right; moreover unlike other runes it drains the life force of the bearer as opposed to granting them agelessness when used.

So what would happen if a True Rune bearer was the only person around when the Rune of Punishment finished disintegrating it's host? Would it remain on the dead body (as seen before in the Obel Ruins), or would it attempt to affix itself onto someone who already holds a True Rune?

I just find it odd unlike other True Runes it affixes to the opposite arm and assume there has to be some purpose to this. Also the Fog Ship Guide seemed to be under the impression he could wield both the Soul Eater AND the Rune of Punishment if Lazlo gave the rune to him when he asked him to do so...

Another additional wonder I had that we probably really can't answer due to how little we've seen the rune is that we know the Sovereign Rune is a True Rune that negates the effects of magic. I wonder if the Sovereign Rune is also able to protect from the magic of another TRUE Rune, and therefore if in theory two True Runes could be attached to the same person, if the Sovereign Rune would somehow negate the negative effects of the Rune of Punishment.

Although all this seems moot, I just wonder how in the heck Harmonia would be able to acquire the Rune of Punishment (since they seem to be after all 27 True Runes), without the negative effects of the Rune causing, chaos, death and destruction within Harmonia itself. I assume the only other way other than getting the Rune to go into Atonement mode (I doubt it would just "decide" to do so for Harmona), would be to somehow suppress it's destructive power, and I would think the only thing powerful enough to negate the effects would be another True Rune.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
son_michael

Re: Rune of Punishment a gateway to Dual True Rune Wielding?

Post by son_michael »

Rivera wrote:In theorum, a True Rune Bearer cannot bear more than one rune, but I thought about this. Let's say the Rune of Punishment bearer dies by using the Rune. Now from what we know about the rune it passes to whomever seems to be closeby. We also know unlike the standard for the 27 True Runes, the Rune of Punishment affixes itself to the left hand instead of the right; moreover unlike other runes it drains the life force of the bearer as opposed to granting them agelessness when used.
Im preety sure the bearer of the rune of punishment is ageless until the rune kills him or if the bearer manages to get rid of it. There's supposed to be a secret technique that allows two true runes to be aquired by 1 bearer, im betting the fog ship captain knows this secret, and I dont think the Rune of punishment can enter a body thats already occupied by another true rune, remember that the true runes are sentient beings, would you wanna live with a stranger?

So what would happen if a True Rune bearer was the only person around when the Rune of Punishment finished disintegrating it's host? Would it remain on the dead body (as seen before in the Obel Ruins), or would it attempt to affix itself onto someone who already holds a True Rune?
I believe it would look at the person with the true rune and either fight with that rune to take control of the bearers body or just leave that TRB alone and go find an inanimate object to dwell in
until some stupid human passes by...

I just find it odd unlike other True Runes it affixes to the opposite arm and assume there has to be some purpose to this. Also the Fog Ship Guide seemed to be under the impression he could wield both the Soul Eater AND the Rune of Punishment if Lazlo gave the rune to him when he asked him to do so...
there's nothing odd about it, true runes choose whatever part of the body they want, we have seen true rune choose the chest{leknaat} the right arm{riou, tir, hugo,geddoe,chris} the soul[luc} and we know about a true rune being on the sindar leaders forhead, as well as queen arshtat's forhead. The fog ship guide might be related to the sindar or he might be another race with an ability to control more than 1 true rune, I think hes connected to the sindar and thats how he knows how to control 2 true runes{if he really does know how}

Another additional wonder I had that we probably really can't answer due to how little we've seen the rune is that we know the Sovereign Rune is a True Rune that negates the effects of magic. I wonder if the Sovereign Rune is also able to protect from the magic of another TRUE Rune, and therefore if in theory two True Runes could be attached to the same person, if the Sovereign Rune would somehow negate the negative effects of the Rune of Punishment.
Yes, the sovereign rune can negate the effects of a true rune, thats its special power, this was proven when babarosa stated "even the rune of the gate is powerless to my sovereign rune" Babarosa's rune is attached to his sword, yet it still gives him aglessness and gives him the ability to use its power, maybe if a true rune is in babarosa's body and he picks up his sword{which has the sovereign rune inbeded in it}he will be able to use both true runes since the sword is 1 host and babarosa's body is another, I wonder.....

Although all this seems moot, I just wonder how in the heck Harmonia would be able to acquire the Rune of Punishment (since they seem to be after all 27 True Runes), without the negative effects of the Rune causing, chaos, death and destruction within Harmonia itself. I assume the only other way other than getting the Rune to go into Atonement mode (I doubt it would just "decide" to do so for Harmona), would be to somehow suppress it's destructive power, and I would think the only thing powerful enough to negate the effects would be another True Rune.
Well, an easy way for Harmonia to aquire The Rune Of Punishment would be recruiting lazlo to work for them, or killing him and thus the rune would go back to its atonement stage since lazlo is its master and is the 1 that made it go into its forgivness stage. We dont know if harmonia wants the true runes without negative effects, I dont know if a True Rue can be negated by another{besides sovereign rune} in s3 luc had to use 2 True Runes to force another out of its bearer's body

thanks for making me think, I enjoyed that post
Last edited by son_michael on Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

Didn't Luc and Sarah have two each at one point? >.<

And as for being able to hold more than one rune, wasn't that what the creation of Luc and Sassarai were for? They needed 2 holders for the elementals because you couldn't put opposite true runes together, but they were made to hold two each. Something tells me, if Harmonia was stooping that low already, there's no telling what they had planned for the stronger, more chaotic runes >.<
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

luc and sasarai had 1 true rune each, luc and sarah used a special container to act as a bearer for the True Earth Rune, luc used his true rune and sarah manipulated the captured TER to attack geddoe, and the end result was geddoes true rune could'nt withstand 2 true runes atatcking it.

and harmonia's clones that they create, can only hold 1 true rune each
Futch02

Post by Futch02 »

my mistake. I though they were created to hold two >.<
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Also, Barbarossa is not ageless. The Dragon King Sword probably doesn't rust, but that's about it.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

"So what would happen if a True Rune bearer was the only person around when the Rune of Punishment finished disintegrating it's host? Would it remain on the dead body (as seen before in the Obel Ruins), or would it attempt to affix itself onto someone who already holds a True Rune? "

Actually, i think the RoP doesn't eradicate the host until AFTER someone else claims the RoP from the body (dead, alive, or unconscious).
Strategy is the key to victory!
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

More than likely, the Rune of Punishment would simply bypass that True Rune bearer and travel off to the next closest victim. True Runes can travel or bury themselves based on their options or their individual will. They seem to do everything for a reason and I doubt that it's necessary for it to immediately choose the closest bearer.

Just look at what happened with Lazlo and Captain Glen. By all rights he should have gotten the Rune of Punishment before Captain Glen, but he did not. There is no set rules for how things are to be done when it comes to sentient beings. It's based on purpose and the True Rune's individual will and the destiny of the bearer in which it believes it can wield its power best.

Also, we can't assume that the Rune of Punishment could not just leave a bearer before killing the previous bearer off. Cray is a perfect example of that. I think there is a lot we don't know about True Runes so we can't just assume that what occurs in the games is all they are capable of.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:"
Actually, i think the RoP doesn't eradicate the host until AFTER someone else claims the RoP from the body (dead, alive, or unconscious).
Out of curiosity, may I ask what you're basing this on?
I hope everything is going delicious.
Moonbay

Post by Moonbay »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader wrote:"
Out of curiosity, may I ask what you're basing this on?
I'm with Gorudo here...(I read your sig..lol)

The RoP claims its next bearer--not the other way around. The first host dies when the Rune is finished with him/her. Cray cut off his arm so the Rune wouldn't kill him--but it found another host.

And if there's no one around--the Rune decides to take a vacation until someone gets close to it. That's why it stayed in the Ruins for 15 years until the Queen of Obel ventured into the area.

Kind of like two magnets. They don't stick together until they are within the correct range of each other.
demon eye

Post by demon eye »

Like I already stated, that is the only scenario we see in the game. It is quite possible that the Rune of PUnishment could just leave a bearer without killing him or her off. We just aren't presented with that scenario, but it doesn't mean that it is not impossible.

If we go by that rule, then Cray would be dead no matter if he cut his arm off or not seeing as True Runes do not have to be placed on a specific part of the body to function. It could have just lodged itself on Cray's body in another area and continued to feed on him until he became ash. But, it just continued to pass onto the next person. The Rune of Punishment does not have to kill each person who bears it.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

"may I ask what you're basing this on?"

Yea, I was basing it on the events in the game. The host is usually unconscious with the RoP glowing from his hand (Brandeau and Glenn). After the RoP leaves the body, the body then ashes away.
So if no one comes to claim it, i think the RoP will just be glowing from the body even after it becomes a skeleton.

On Gorudo,
acutally i thought Gorudo was the leader of all the knights and he has sub-commanders like Mikotov and Camus that commands each of their colored knights. I was thinking there might be a leader for the white knights group, but it wasn't revealed in the game.
Strategy is the key to victory!
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Well, if you couple that with the fact that the rune stayed on the man that died from starvation within Obel ruins, you may be right, although the situations are different.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Ushiku

Post by Ushiku »

What would happen if using the previous theory the Rune of Punishment did attach itself to another True Runer bearer?
That would be especially difficult if the True Rune bearer was not a tenkai, since the 108 stars of destiny would not be called upon to move the Rune of Punishment into its forgiveness stage.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That's what has happened to countless past bearers of the Rune. They never got the chance to counter the curse, hence the neverending chain of deaths. (and painful memories).

If the Rune of Punishment selects bearer of another True Rune, one of the runes would probably have to give up the host and go elsewhere. Something like this happens in Suikoden III if you decide against making Hugo the next Flame Champion; if it's Geddoe, True Lightning leaves his body and choose Hugo. Or, if it's Chris, she asks True Water to choose Hugo instead.